Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with Pioneer 525 hookup...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help with Pioneer 525 hookup...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-00, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Pioneer 525 DVD player only has two audio jacks. How do I connect it to more than two speakers. Excuse me but I'm kind of new at this....
Old 06-11-00, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You don't connect the speakers directly into your DVD player. You connect your DVD player and speakers to your receiver. If you have a receiver that handles DD5.1 and DTS then you need to connect a coax or optical digital cable from your DVD player to your receiver as well as composite video. If you have an S-Video input on your TV you should also connect an S-Video cable from your DVD player to your TV. I hope all that did not sound confusing. If you tell us what kind of inputs and outputs you have on your receiver and TV then we can be more specific.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 06-11-00, 01:20 PM

I have the two audio connections on the back of the DVD player hooked into the back of the receiver's DVD 6 Channel area. There is room for 6 connections here, Left, Right, Center, Surround (2), and Subwoofer. Since I only have two jacks I have hooked them to the left and right.....
Old 06-11-00, 03:07 PM

Does your receiver have any type of audio input labeled optical or coax digital (this would be for audio input from a DVD player)? Otherwise sounds like your receiver is expecting a decoded 6 channel (5.1)signal (6 separate connections) from the DVD player. Not familiar with the Pioneer model you have.

You may be in a situation where the player doesn't have a Dolby 5.1 decoder built in and is trying to pass the signal to the reciever to be decoded, meanwhile the receiver also doesn't have a decoder built in and is expecting a decoded 6 channel (5.1) signal. You've got to have a 5.1 decoder in either the DVD player or the receiver to get the 5.1 surround sound.

Composite connections will be colored red-white for the L-R 2-channel stereo output, but you will not get surround sound using them (although you should get 2 channel sound).

Generally you will have either the 2 channel composite connections (red-white) for regular 2 channel L-R stereo, or a digital connection (coax or optical) in which case the receiver will decode the 5.1 signal, or the 6 channel (L-R, Center, 2 rear surrounds and bass channel) where the DVD player is decoding the signal and sending it to the receiver.

[This message has been edited by steve f (edited June 11, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by steve f (edited June 11, 2000).]