Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My Panasonic A-110 problem...Please HELP!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

My Panasonic A-110 problem...Please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-00, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My problem with my Panasonic 110 DVD player is that I get audio "drop-outs".
I've read all the other problems that this player has had in the past, with the pixilation and chapter skips, but I don't see people complaining about the audio shuting on and off, going in and out. ?!?!?

Blade, I've read your Panasonic DVD problems page(weblink), but no where does it talk about just audio problems? Does my audio problem come from the Optical Pickup problem?
I've never had any trouble with the video.

I was getting so frustrated with this audio problem, (some days good, other days bad), that I just went and ordered a Toshiba 2200 from Buy.com for $219.00 (free shipping and $30 coupon)
I couldn't pass up that deal...

CAN ANYONE tell me if they've had the same audio problems with their Panasonic 110? Cus, I want to get it fixed so I have two players, but I don't want to pay $$$.

thanks, Carl
Old 06-09-00, 06:39 AM
Cool New Member

I'm not too familiar with the A-110 but I have owned an A-100 since its birth. Anyways, there are many ways to find out where the problem lies.

Try using DVD lens cleaner. dust on the laser's lens can affect the way the laser reads info on the disc.

Try changing your current cable to a new one to see if the cable is bad.

Does the A-110 have coaxial AND toslink (optical) digital outputs?

Try using the other digital connection to see if the problem is with a specific digital connection.

Try using the analog audio outputs. If the problem goes away, you may have a problem with the digital connection(s).

If the problem persists in all cases, you may have a unit that will cost as much to repair as it is to replace.
Old 06-09-00, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the 110 and never experienced any audi problems. I get the ocassional pixil problem but i stop the disc and clean it and its ok. I have been very happy with this player.

[This message has been edited by Chili Palmer (edited June 09, 2000).]
Old 06-09-00, 04:31 PM

Well 3U36,

You made my day...

It was the optical audio connection that was causing the problem. I went and bought a digital coaxial cable and connected it up. Everything seems to be fine.
I also talked to a technical rep. from Access DVD here in Atlanta, and he said coaxial is the way to go anyway.

I guess my purchase of an extra DVD player will just be a bonus.
$219 bucks for a Toshiba 2200 is a steal
I'm pretty sure it is a good deal...Wouldn't you agree? I would think Sonic would.

thanks again!
Carl

[This message has been edited by Carl Spackler (edited June 09, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Carl Spackler (edited June 09, 2000).]
Old 06-10-00, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Yeah coaxial rules....
Old 06-10-00, 01:04 AM
Cool New Member

Glad I was able to help Carl! It's always a good thing when you don't end up with a super hi-tech paper weight.

My first generation A-100 only came with a toslink out. (I don't even think coaxial was an option back then.) Luckily I haven't experienced any problems with it at all. Very solid, very reliable. Got coax on a Toshiba 3109 and 2109, great. Does sound a bit "warmer" than optical. Happy either way as long as it's digital!