Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

JVC XV501?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-00, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I've recently developed problems with my JVC player. It pixelates some movies really bad and some movies it won't even play. I have a service contract with Best Buy and when I took it in for service the realligned the laser but soon as I got it back I had the same problem. Most of my movies are unwatchable. I was wondering if anybody else had this problem with this player or if anywone had any seggestions on what I should tell them to look for when I take it back in. I've already done the reset procedure and it didn't help/ Some of the movies I'm having problems with are....SIL SE, 3 Kings, American History X (which has played fine in the machine before), Sixth Sense and basically anything I put in it. It's not even a capable back up anymore. Any help would be appriciated.

I apologize if the numerous spelling and grammor errors interferred with the reading of this.
Old 05-16-00, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your best bet it to take it to an authorized JVC Repair center. I've got the 701 and did so along time ago to fix a DTS problem. They will probably do a firmware upgrade, somthing Best Buy won't be able to do. Go to the JVC Serivce Web site and find the closest Service center and give them a call. If you have to pay to ship it to them, they will pay to ship it back fixed.
Old 05-16-00, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well if it's something Best Buy can't do shouldn't they be the ones shipping to and from JVC since I'm paying them to make sure it works for 4 years? And should I take a movie that messes up when I take it in just so they can see what I'm talking about? Not really keen on leaving it with them and it disappering though.
Old 05-16-00, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best Buy Extended Warranties? If they cannot fix it see if you can get a refund. You will get jerked around, of course.

Try rebooting your player thusly.

Unload the player and turn it off. You will not be using the remote and you may need some assistance.

Turn the player on.

Press the "onscreen" and "title" buttons.

Keep them depressed and disconnect the power source, you will need to unplug it while you are holding those two buttons down.

Reconnect the power. You should see a test JVC message on the front of the player.

Release the buttons and press "enter".

Turn off the power, wait a few seconds and turn it back on.

If that clears up your problems you might want to let the incompetent techs at BB know how a reboot is performed. If you are still having problems I would send it to JVC directly. I have had experience with BB service, not an extended warranty, and it took months. I finally went to their large shop in Bloomington, Minnesota and illustrated the difference between the video input and the coax input, where everything is scrambled together, audio included. What a sorry bunch of people, my little five second demonstration even gathered a crowd.

I know what you're thinking, "They can't all be that ignorant." Believe it! They were! The video in was part of the pip circuit and had a superior picture but also had lots of almost horizontal lines slowly rising. I was very specific about the problem, but tech after tech looked at a small picture on a black screen. The station with my tv had no equipment at all, except for ac outlets and a light overhead. The tech had connected a bedraggled vcr with a poop tape to my tv correctly, video out to video in, but he did not look at it. He was staring at coax black. Amazing.

edit......Timber.., let us know if the reboot worked, okay?

[This message has been edited by LtlPhysics (edited May 16, 2000).]
Old 05-17-00, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No I tried the reboot I read on the JVC site after unsucsssfully trying to watch the Insider and it didn't help any.....nothing like getting into a really cool movie and then having it mess up half way through.
Old 05-17-00, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If the reboot isn't the fix, I would call a service center. I added a bit to my Best Buy experience and I doubt they would have a clue as to what to do. I have a 701 and it works fine.
Old 06-08-00, 07:14 PM

I too had this problem. I also had to send it back for the DTS firmware fix earlier in it's life. This problem is widely known and it is a major defect that seems to be expensive to fix, if they can fix it at all. (I don't want to give links here and if this is bad please tell me.) Check audioreview.com and search DVD reviews for 501 and when you read it be prepared to have your heart riped out. After reading what everyone else had to say. I figured it was cheaper and much less aggrevation to just buy a new one. I bought a Sony 560 last night and at least I have the consolation that the picture was alot better and the DD 5.1 was much, much better. So at least I don't feel totally pissed that the JVC died. But it still makes me mad to have a product last bearly one year and then you have to pay for them just to look at it when they know what they did was wrong. I use to like JVC but never again. Too many people have had the same problem too early in it's life cycle not to have been a design flaw that they should own up to and fix. FOR FREE.

Good-Luck and beware the estimate alone can cost you up to $100.