Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any Input Concerning Definitive Technology BP Speakers?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Any Input Concerning Definitive Technology BP Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-00, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in the market for speakers and the Definitive Technology BP tls simply amazed me. Please let me know if anyone has listened to or purchased or good deals for these speakers. I am more interested in the BP2002tl model. Ready....Set... GO!!!!
Old 06-07-00, 03:47 PM

I have the 3000TL as my mains, a 3000CLR for my center, and the 2002TL's for my sides. I have used them for a year...no regrets, they are awesome.

I purchased pieces to my system all over the place, but generally you should be able to get at least a 10% discount...which is excellent since you don't have to buy sa seperate subwoofer.

Do you have any specific questions on the speakers?
Old 06-07-00, 04:36 PM
pmf

Check out JB007's post on 'What's the scoop on DEFINITIVE?' on this same forum/category.

PF
Old 06-07-00, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the response guys. I was interested in how they compare to other systems out there. I read alot now a days about the nht and energy satellite/sub combos and whether or not the price is justifable (sp?) in getting the BPs compared to getting a whole system for around the same amount if not cheaper. Sorry also if this is a rehash. I apologize. I will; however, look at the previous post. I never knew that people posted about this topic since all i ever seen was about the "newer" stuff out. Thanks again anyhow for the input though.
Old 06-07-00, 05:50 PM

Actually my coworker has the Energy sat/sub combo.

I guess the real point is you get what you pay for. The Energy system sounds great, but it simply can't compete with two 12" subwoofers, a fuller center, and the added soundstage created by the DefTechs.

Personally, I would consider the additional outlay worthwhile since I can notice a substantial improvement. You have a much better feeling of actually being IN the theater with the DefTech than the Energy.

Also, if you are looking at center speakers, skip the 2002CLR and go with the 2000CLR. It's AMAZING at accurately reproducing vocals. Comparing the DefTech center with the Energy center is not even in the same league.

Also remember cables and your receiver/pre-amp will make a world of difference as well.
Old 06-07-00, 05:56 PM
pmf

Triple_burner:

As you are looking up on the previous posts which should also include the Widescreen Review link I put in I will try to give you a general run down.

Def Tech speakers are generally considered mid level in product & sound quality, pretty much in line with brands like Mirage, Boston Acoustics, Energy, NHT, etc. The difference between DT and it's competitors are their bipolar design and availbility of 'Powered Towers'

Most of us Def Tech lovers like the wide open soundstage and the great power handling ability. I myself have the BP2000 system for almost three years and still think it's one of the best in HT. If you are shopping for speakers at the BP2000 level you owe it to yourself NOT to audition at least couple other competitive brands/designs to see which one sounds best to you (or even in your listening environment).

PF
Old 06-07-00, 06:34 PM

Thank you guys both for your opinions. My next question was actually gonna be if there were other speakers in the same price range which ppl consider to excel compared to the BP2002tl. I know this is based upon my listening experience but I hoped to cut down on some of the research time as my local stores are quite a distance away. Also pmf, I was intrigued as to why you state I "owe it to myself NOT to ...." Anyhow, thanks again for the input as I value consumer opinion highly compared to that of salesman for obvious reason. Thanks again...
Old 06-07-00, 08:05 PM

I think what pmf is saying is that if you are ready to spend the $2000 on the 2002 speakers, then you should ABSOLUTELY listen to other speakers as well before plunking down the money.

This will of course confirm one of three things:

a. You love the DT sound and bipolars are the way you want to go.

b. You hate bipolars and need to look intstead at monopoles

c. You like the biploar sound, but you like the BP sound from a different manufacturer better.

I guess the whole summary is this:

Everyone has different likes and dislikes. While I KNOW you will not be disappointed with the the DT, only YOU can be the judge of that. Have fun auditioning speakers...spend you time and make sure it's what you want. I mean, you are about to plunk down at least a couple thousand here. Enjoy it!
Old 06-07-00, 11:57 PM
pmf

I don't think I can say it better myself.

Also keep in mind the amount of music vs movie you will use the system for as well as other components in your system.

While the BP's are excellent in their soundstages some would criticize them for only having so-so imaging due to the bipolar design. Certain receivers/amps are known to match up better with the BP's than others and that's why you should try the best you can to use the same equipment you have to audition if possible.

Really for a $2000-$3000 system, you should try to go for home demo in comparison to speakers like Paradigm, Mirage, NHT, Monitor Audio, etc.

Happy speaker hunting.

PF