Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Panny DLP died (under warranty), can't repair, need to replace.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

My Panny DLP started shutting down by itself, roughly every 2 hours. I remembered I had bought an extended 5 year warranty (which I normally never do) and luckily it ends in Sept 2009. Sent it off for repairs and they called me today telling me that they don't have the parts and that it would cost too much to repair anyway so they will replace it with something with "equivalent specs."

So off to the store I go, only to be told that it takes 48 hours for them to get the approval from whoever the warranty guys are, and I should come back in a couple of days. Fine, so I go hang around where the tv's are to check models/prices and try to figure out WHAT they will offer me. Sales guy approaches me and asks if I need any help. So I decide to play dumb, explain the situation to him, and ask how this replacement thing usually works. He walks to the computer, punches in my tv model number and says: "This is what your tv is worth today", i.e. $900 (can't believe I payed nearly $4,000 for that thing 5 years ago...). Then he says don't worry, they don't make DLP's anymore, and can't replace it with anything less than 50", after all that's why you paid for the warranty! Since I still managed to keep that puzzled and confused look on my face (hard to do without laughing ), he said "ok let's check out what the possibilities are". Do you want LCD or plasma? "Errrr I dunno" (meaning well let's see how your cheapest 50" LCD compares to your cheapest 50" plasma. Hehehe.)

So, my choices essentially are:

LCD: They are out of the Sammy 530, so it would be the 550 ($1,699)
Good for me, they don't have any cheap ass brands/models in the 50"+ category.

Plasma: LG 50PQ60 1080p ($1,149), Panny Viera TCP50C1 720p ($1,299)

Now I could argue well, if I can have an LCD worth $1,699, why can't I choose a plasma for around the same price? Which would be the Panny Viera TCP50X1 ($1,599). But that's still 720p, and most of my viewing is HDTV and Blu-ray.

Note that I could fork out some additional cash to get a better tv, but that's not an option at this time.

So, what I want to know is:

Have any of you had experiences with this replacement under warranty thing before and how much leeway do you have in terms of dealing to get a better set?

And who owns the above models listed and how would you rate them?

Thanks.

Last edited by eXcentris; 07-27-09 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: Panny DLP died (under warranty), can't repair, need to replace.

Standard answer;

Get the Panasonic Plasma. Even if you "have" to go with 720p. The 720p Panny plasma will have a better overall picture then 90-95% of the 1080p's out there. Even if you believe you could see a resolution difference on such a small set (which is highly unlikely unless you sit way to close), resolution is only about the 4th most important factor in overall picture quality. And this holds true regardless of source (HD, BD, whatever).

Having said all that, you should be able to get a Panny 1080p plasma in the $1,500 range. Where are you looking at sets? Do you have to buy from them?
Old 07-27-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, what he said. Seriously.

They really don't make DLPs anymore? I wonder why they ever started. When I looked at big tvs with a friend a few years back, the side-by-sides were not even close for pq.
Old 07-27-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was your DLP a 1080 model? Seems replacing a Panasonic TV with a current Panasonic TV ought to work within the rules. Assuming the Panny DLP cost more than other brands, you ought to be able to wheel n deal on that.

DLP rear projection kinda sucks. But that's more on rear projection than the tech inside. RPTV really needs high quality CRT to be worth anything. Just ask Shelland.
Old 07-27-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My Panny DLP was 720/1080i. I bought it at Future Shop and since this is a Future Shop warranty (even if it's obviously handled by a 3rd party), yes I have to buy the replacement from them. The cheapest 1080p Panny plasma are $1,999(TCP50S1, TCP50U1).

50"+ Plasma sorted by price:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/sub...&page=0&sort=3

50"+ LCD sorted by price:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/sub...&page=0&sort=3

I might be able to deal on a new warranty, i.e. if you let me have this (more expensive) tv, I'll take the 4 year extended warranty, otherwise I'm out the door with just the tv. I'm pretty darn sure they make more profit on the warranty than on the actual tv.

Last edited by eXcentris; 07-27-09 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At one point I was looking a 120 hz LCD and asked the guy why it was more expensive:

Him: It's 120 hz!
Me: So what does that do?
Him: If you watch sports and stuff with a lot of movement the picture is clearer!
Me: So how does that work exactly, I mean the actual process.
Him: Errrr.....

I kindda felt bad afterwards for doing that because the guy seemed to genuinely try to help me.
Old 07-28-09, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, the store makes more profit on the warranty. Most of them come in at 100% profit, unless the accounting department keeps track of individual pieces of paper. But we don't do that.

Don't be mean to the help. It reflects poorly on your character.
Old 07-28-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Standard answer;

Get the Panasonic Plasma. Even if you "have" to go with 720p. The 720p Panny plasma will have a better overall picture then 90-95% of the 1080p's out there. Even if you believe you could see a resolution difference on such a small set (which is highly unlikely unless you sit way to close), resolution is only about the 4th most important factor in overall picture quality. And this holds true regardless of source (HD, BD, whatever).

Having said all that, you should be able to get a Panny 1080p plasma in the $1,500 range. Where are you looking at sets? Do you have to buy from them?
to the standard answer!
Old 07-31-09, 08:57 PM

I own the philips 47pfl7403D/f7. it can do the 120 refresh rate. I got for it 1194 at sam's club.
I am not suggesting that you need to get a philips HDTV set. I was just giving you my expereince with it.

the 120 refresh rate makes the picture better but also differnt.. not everyone likes it. I would suggest looking at the tvs with it. see if you like it or not.
makes the tv look like they are making the movie or you could walk into the movie. seems very real on some stuff.. its works great on anaimated movies and sports programs.

Jacob
Old 08-04-09, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

With 1080p/24 and watching movies 90% of the time, I don't really need 120hz.
Old 08-04-09, 12:54 PM

120 refresh rate does help alot more with the 1080P/24 more then the 60.

Jacob
Old 08-04-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JACOB
120 refresh rate does help alot more with the 1080P/24 more then the 60.

Jacob
Jacob, film sourced material is recorded at 24 images/sec (24hz). If you have a Blu-ray player that can output 24hz and a tv that accepts a 1080p/24 signal then there is no processing involved (3:2 pulldown on 60hz, 5:5 on 120hz) that can introduce undesirable artifacts. That's (theoretically) better.

I can see the advantage of 120hz when watching sports in HD but generally speaking, I think that feature is overrated.
Old 08-06-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone who truly appreciates filmmaking would not watch a movie in 120hz. It completely undoes a lot of what the director and cinematographer spent a lot of time and effort to show you.
Old 08-06-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will they just give your money back? My buddy had a Toshiba RPTV with the extended warranty and the same thing happened. They ended up giving him his whole $3000 + back almost 5 years later.
Old 08-06-09, 09:26 PM

nevermind. I don't care anymore.

Jacob

Last edited by JACOB; 08-08-09 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-08-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jacob,
I don't think you read his post right.
Old 08-12-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's your silly question of the week:

How do you take a picture of a tv screen? Everytime I try this, it's messed up (probably because of the tv refresh rate)...
Old 08-18-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Jacob, film sourced material is recorded at 24 images/sec (24hz). If you have a Blu-ray player that can output 24hz and a tv that accepts a 1080p/24 signal then there is no processing involved (3:2 pulldown on 60hz, 5:5 on 120hz) that can introduce undesirable artifacts. That's (theoretically) better.
Isn't 3:2 pulldown an undesirable artifact? It suffers from telecline judder. 5:5 pulldown wouldn't have this problem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3:2_pul...elecine_judder

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Anyone who truly appreciates filmmaking would not watch a movie in 120hz. It completely undoes a lot of what the director and cinematographer spent a lot of time and effort to show you.
Nobody watches a film at 24hz. In the theaters, the shutter on the projector shows every frame 2-3 times, meaning a theatrical projector is showing the film at 48hz or 72hz, with either 2:2 or 3:3 pulldown.

Thus, 120hz with simple 5:5 frame repeating of 24hz is not "undoing" the filmmakers intent any differently than a film projector does.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movie_projector#Shutter

The problem is that 120hz sets often include other video "enhancements" like motion interpolation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh...ontent_on_a_tv
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDTV_blur#100.C2.A0Hz_.2B

Last edited by Jay G.; 08-18-09 at 10:51 PM.