Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Do you get slightly degraded video quality when connecting through a receiver?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Do you get slightly degraded video quality when connecting through a receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-00, 07:10 PM
ripthorne

I'm just wondering:

If I output a video signal from a DVD player (using an S-video OR component cables) DIRECTLY to the TV, is that better than connecting the signal through a reciver and than to the TV?

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
-- There's a reason why writers don't live very long. Yeah, people like you, 'cause you're the devil. Why don't you finally admit it? Say it! "I'm the devil!" Say it!
My Cheesy DVD List..., my webpage isn't done yet
Old 06-02-00, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's definitely better.

The real question is, "Is it noticeably better?" And only you can answer that question. I'd guess that the answer is probably not.

-S
Old 06-02-00, 08:25 PM
Topgun94

I could not notice a difference either way.
Old 06-03-00, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on the quality of the receiver in my experience. Most of the time the difference is impercetable to all but the types who calibrate their tv's by hacking service menus and such.
Old 06-03-00, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's probably more size-dependent, meaning, the larger your display is, the more you're apt to notice slight degradation of picture quality when you pipe it through the A/V receiver and then back to the TV/monitor.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 06-03-00, 03:40 AM

There is a big difference in picture quality, even with high-end pre/pros. Go direct to the TV. Good luck!

------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"
Old 06-03-00, 02:21 PM

No question about it -- go direct. I have always noticed a difference on even high end preamps. But them again, it will depend on the quality of your set. The lower the quality and the small the screen, the less likely you will perceive a problem.

I suggest you try it, you may like it, but you can never go wrong by going direct with a quality cable.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List
Old 06-05-00, 02:33 PM

It all depends on the video connection. If you are using an RCA, yes, you will lose a lot of clarity. If it's S-Video, no, you won't lose any. Running through an S-Video on a receiver acts as a direct link to the TV. As far as componite video, I'm not familar with that enough to give you a fair evaluation.
Old 06-05-00, 02:41 PM
AW

I have a Sony KP53XBR45 and a Yamaha RX-V2092 and have all of my components running direct to the TV and switched via the receiver (for multi-room), so it is easy to do an A-B comparison. While I may be able to tell a difference, it is extremely slight. In my case, the Sony television automatically switches to the correct input when I hit play on the component remote, so there is no real advantage to switching through the receiver. So, if you can go directly to the television you probably should unless the convenience of using the receiver to switch outweighs the slight video benefit.