Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help me with audio cable connection types

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Please help me with audio cable connection types

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-00, 06:11 PM
ripthorne

Ok I have a Toshiba 2200 DVD player, outputs shown here:

and I will be getting the Sony MHC-RXD10AV Audio System, inputs/ouputs shown here:

ok I have 2 questions.

QUESTION 1) What TYPES of cables do I need to connect the Toshiba's 5.1 audio outputs to the Sony's DVD audio input?

Possible answers: Do I use regular AV (RCA) cables or is there something else?

QUESTION 2) IF this Sony system does not have audio cables attached to the speakers (to connect to the Sony audio system), what kind of cables will I need to connect the speakers to those (I think) outputs on the bottom?

PS. Don't you dare buy this Sony system because I don't want it to sell out before I buy it.

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
-- There's a reason why writers don't live very long. Yeah, people like you, 'cause you're the devil. Why don't you finally admit it? Say it! "I'm the devil!" Say it!
My Cheesy DVD List..., my webpage isn't done yet
Old 05-28-00, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can use 6 regular AV cables (RCA connectors) to connect the Toshiba player to the Sony receiver. Those outputs are just regular analog line-level audio outputs like the stereo l/r audio outputs.

Being a shelf system, the Sony receiver will probably come with speaker wires. If those speaker wires are pretty thin like what you usually get bundled with these systems, you may want to consider "upgrading" them with some inexpensive copper "lamp cord".
Old 05-29-00, 08:22 AM
ripthorne

Can I use generic RCA cables or should I just buy expensive Monster cables?

And should I buy 6 IDENTICAL cables?

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
-- There's a reason why writers don't live very long. Yeah, people like you, 'cause you're the devil. Why don't you finally admit it? Say it! "I'm the devil!" Say it!

[This message has been edited by ripthorne (edited May 30, 2000).]
Old 05-30-00, 09:58 PM
ripthorne

^

just one more question
see above

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
Old 05-31-00, 08:38 AM
Topgun94

If it is a short run of 3-6 feet of cable, just get regular old RCA cables, but I would get them all the same length. I doubt you would notice any difference with Monster cables. They usually make a difference on longer runs were there is more interference. I had one guy try to tell me that I had to have monster cables for my coaxial Dolby Digital hookup to keep the sound from being distorted. Thats was a load of ****, on a digital signal you either have it or you don't. The reason they push monster is the big profits they make because the markup is so high on them.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
My Rather Small Laserdisc Collection
Old 05-31-00, 10:32 AM
ripthorne

How about 6 12 feet (4 meter cables)? Would that length be long enough to justify the cause of buying a monster brand cable?

I'll probably be getting somewhere in the middle quality range, not too cheap, and not too expensiveeeee

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
Old 05-31-00, 08:45 PM
Topgun94

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ripthorne:
How about 6 12 feet (4 meter cables)? Would that length be long enough to justify the cause of buying a monster brand cable?

I'll probably be getting somewhere in the middle quality range, not too cheap, and not too expensiveeeee

<HR>

I would probably go middle range. There are good cables out there without the monster price tag.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
My Rather Small Laserdisc Collection
Old 06-01-00, 11:58 PM
ripthorne

OK, another question.

Should I just get that Sony CD Shelf system (above) that has 5.1 inputs/outputs & 5 speakers for $400 TOTAL?

OR

should I get a
$400 JVC Dolby/DTS Receiver
AND
$450 JBL Speakers(which has 5 speakers)

???
Still cant decide yet.
My money is still waiting to be spent.

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.

[This message has been edited by ripthorne (edited June 01, 2000).]
Old 06-02-00, 01:30 PM

If you plan on keeping this system for more than a few years I'd fork out the extra dough for the separates. The quality of those shelf systems isn't as high as separate components, so in the long run I think you'd be happier with the JVC reciever and JBL speakers.

------------------
People say nothing is forever. If that's true how do you explain herpes or the Greatful Dead. I say forever is for people who got the balls to make it last.
Old 06-02-00, 02:22 PM
Cool New Member

I'd get a seperate receiver and speakers. If you're going to spend that much on speakers, take a look at the Energy Take 5's. They retail for $500 but can be had for much less. Talk to Marc at Audioshop in Canada for an awesome deal.

------------------
InsaniT
My DVD Library