Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

lI'm getting an HDTV and a stand but what else do I need?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-09, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the past few months I've been searching for the right TV and I've settled on the Samsung LN46B550 and the Bell'O SFP-9901HG Color Accented Flat Panel Audio Video System which matches the TV's Red Touch of Color. But what else do I need? I know speakers are a must but which ones are the best bang for my buck? And what about these HDMI cords? Some people say that you don't have to splurge on them and some say it's best to splurge a bit. I am so confused!
Old 07-18-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: lI'm getting an HDTV and a stand but what else do I need?

I'm just hoping this is a real post.

If you want speakers, name your budget. And your interest level in audio.

Monoprice.com has the best prices on high quality HDMI cables.
Old 07-18-09, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
I'm just hoping this is a real post.
Why? Because it's my first post and I don't know much about Home Theater? Not everyone knows this stuff.

If you want speakers, name your budget. And your interest level in audio.
Judging on a few speakers I've seen I'd say $100 to $150?
Old 07-18-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ManicRaider
Why? Because it's my first post and I don't know much about Home Theater? Not everyone knows this stuff.
Welcome to the forum! There's a lot of good information here. I would recommend starting out by reading some of the existing posts and FAQs and searching to see of a particular question has been asked before. There is a lot of current or very recent information to be found.

If that doesn't help, feel free to ask away!

That's not much. Do you need a receiver as well, or just speakers? Assuming you don't have anything in the way of a receiver, the cheapest route for you will probably be a home-theater-in-a-box (HTiB). But your budget should probably be closer to $400 or $500 for that, and Onkyo would be the recommendation.
Old 07-18-09, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Did you already buy the TV stand? My recommendation would be to use a good portion of that (or all) and put it towards audio and use something you may already have for the time being or something cheaper. Or get the stand and save up until you can get some better individual audio pieces later on and just use the TV speakers for now.
Old 07-18-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by ManicRaider

I also welcome you to the forum. And the question was asked (no offense) because every one of your questions has been discussed in threads found on the first couple of pages of this area.

$100-$150 per speaker? You can get decent speakers for that. So $500-$600 for a 5.0 set up. Do you have a sub or do you need that to?

Vanns had some Energy and Mirage at pretty good prices for a bit. You might take a look. Do you need a receiver?

And yea...ONLY get your wires and such from Monoprice.
Old 07-18-09, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Welcome to the forum! There's a lot of good information here. I would recommend starting out by reading some of the existing posts and FAQs and searching to see of a particular question has been asked before. There is a lot of current or very recent information to be found.

If that doesn't help, feel free to ask away!
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I also welcome you to the forum. And the question was asked (no offense) because every one of your questions has been discussed in threads found on the first couple of pages of this area.
Sorry about that. I've been hopping from site to site, forum to forum trying to get an idea of what I need. I'm sorry for not taking the time to search for the answers first.

That's not much. Do you need a receiver as well, or just speakers? Assuming you don't have anything in the way of a receiver, the cheapest route for you will probably be a home-theater-in-a-box (HTiB). But your budget should probably be closer to $400 or $500 for that, and Onkyo would be the recommendation.
Yes I need a receiver as well but the HTIB route is more up my alley at the moment.

Originally Posted by Superman07
Did you already buy the TV stand? My recommendation would be to use a good portion of that (or all) and put it towards audio and use something you may already have for the time being or something cheaper. Or get the stand and save up until you can get some better individual audio pieces later on and just use the TV speakers for now.
No I have not purchased the TV or stand yet. I know the stand seems pricey but the fact that it matches the TV is alluring. I must sound like a model consumer to them.
Old 07-18-09, 10:59 PM

Aside from what's been mentioned already, I'd suggest a decent surge suppressor/line conditioner. I have a few heavy-duty Tripp Lite's and I'm pleased with them but there are a few other good brands out there, even better I'm sure. Expensive doesn't always = good however!

The LN46B550 doesn't have terrible built-in speakers but, of course, a dedicated audio source will sound better. It will cost a bit more but I would suggest going with a receiver and separate speakers or a HTiB that comes with a receiver - Onkyo's HTS5200/HTS6200, etc. It gives you more flexibility later down the road to change out speakers and slowly build your set-up as time and money allow. A dedicated DVD HTiB like Samsung's HTX520 won't sound bad but is rather restricting. I must admit, however, that I'm decently impressed with the Samsung HTBD1250 - I mean, for $500-550, you get a BD player AND a decent sound system. Pick up a $5 HDMI cable and you're good to go. It's not equal in sound quality to the speaker/receiver option but, for most people, it's good enough and an easier route to take/hook up.
Old 07-18-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Not bad for the price...but you will still need a sub,

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

It looks like they package it with a Velodyne sub for $369. If that includes free shipping, I'd say that was a good deal.

This is $207 Shipped....good deal (you have to put in your cart to see the price). Stolen from slickdeals

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR307...7839191&sr=1-1