Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HELP WITH CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKERS

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HELP WITH CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKERS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-00, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound coming from my front and rear speakers, and the subwoofer, is just fine, but the volume of the dialogue from the center channel is very low and almost impossible to enjoy if there is more than one person is in the room, and anybody says anything, it drowns out the dialogue. I am pretty sure it's the center channel speaker itself, but wanted some advice before i spend good money on a new speaker. the equipment I have, is listed below. Even if I just watch TV, using the small speakers of the TV set itself the dialogue sounds fine. Please help.

TV : 27" JVC AV27BP4

Reciever: harmon/kordan AVR20II

DVD: JVC XV-D701BK

CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKERS: Part of a cheap set of 3 speakers JBL ($179), bought 3 years ago (1 center, 2 rear), have no power or watts indication on them.

Also would appreciate recommendations for center channnels speakers for around $200.

Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by sammanet (edited June 01, 2000).]
Old 06-01-00, 10:58 AM

Most receivers let you adjust the individual volumes if each speaker. You may want to check and see if your center channel is set lower than the rest, and if so boost the volume.
Old 06-01-00, 11:08 AM

thanks, yes played with that, it's all the way up, 92 is the highest #, then it displays max.

------------------
Nihilo Sanctum Estne
Is Nothing Sacred
Old 06-01-00, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've noticed that the center speaker is very critical - and touchy. A substandard speaker really makes it difficult to hear dialogue. I replaced an old, cheap speaker with somehting new and noticed that everything is much more intelligible. Sorry, but I suggest you sink some money into a new speaker.
Old 06-01-00, 07:04 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to try hooking your center speaker up to the terminals for one of your front main speakers. That would let you know if the problem is with your speaker or some other part of your system.

If your center speaker works then, you might try hooking one of your mains to your center speaker connections.

Also, has this always been a problem or is it recent? Is it just the DVD player or do other devices have the same problem. Have you tried using the test tone feature on your receiver to check the speakers?

Good luck.

------------------
David, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]
Old 06-01-00, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, if turning your center speaker way up doesn't help, you could leave it turned way up and turn the others all down, to try and balance it out. Course, it could still just be either a prob. w/ your receiver, or just a craptastic speaker.
Old 06-01-00, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

It could also be a problem with the efficiency of the center compared to the R/L. What are your L/R? I recommend trying what Blade and Shaun have suggested.
Old 06-01-00, 11:06 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I forgot: check your wires.

With HT and PCs, always check your wires/connections. Use different wires if you can.
Old 06-02-00, 05:36 AM

everybody, thanks sincierly for the suggestions, will sink some time into going through the steps this weekend.

thanks again

------------------
Nihilo Sanctum Estne
Is Nothing Sacred