Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Differences between Onkyo 806 vs 607

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on the fence between the above 2 models. Between the above 2 models, which would be a smarter choice? Thanks!
Old 06-23-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Differences between Onkyo 806 vs 607

The 806.

The 607 is more of an entry level receiver. The 806 weighs more and is built better .
Old 06-23-09, 10:28 AM

Aside from the THX certifications is the surround sound itself better?
Old 06-23-09, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by CaptStormy
Aside from the THX certifications is the surround sound itself better?
what speakers are you using?

the 806 will have better amps that will take less power to drive the speakers to the same volume.
Old 06-23-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Uh, I'm not sure what you meant by that. It will take exactly the same power to drive the same speakers to the same volume. That would be math.

Maybe you meant the better amp should have more power available to drive the same volume with less distortion. Which means higher audio quality, which isn't easily quantifiable. Or that the 806 could drive speakers a bit louder.

I think the 806 has a better model DCDi video processor, too. But not sure. It offers a few other features, as well. XM radio, better zone 2 use, RS232, preouts for all channels, multichannel analog input. Depends on individual needs.

However, the 607 does have Dolby Pro Logic IIz, which is new. The 806 does not. Not sure if that's a big deal, most tend to not use the extra processing. And almost nobody is looking to add another 2 speakers up front, which is the main new part of IIz.

But both models are compatible with the same surround formats as found on DVD, TV, Bluray. To answer that question.
Old 06-23-09, 12:08 PM

I have Infinity Speakers which I bought as a set almost 9 years ago. I believe it is the HTS10's. 5.1 setup. I am planning to buy some infinity Primus 362 floor tower speakers which will be the new front channel speakers and the existing front will move to the sides.
Old 06-23-09, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Uh, I'm not sure what you meant by that. It will take exactly the same power to drive the same speakers to the same volume. That would be math.

Maybe you meant the better amp should have more power available to drive the same volume with less distortion. Which means higher audio quality, which isn't easily quantifiable. Or that the 806 could drive speakers a bit louder.

I think the 806 has a better model DCDi video processor, too. But not sure. It offers a few other features, as well. XM radio, better zone 2 use, RS232, preouts for all channels, multichannel analog input. Depends on individual needs.

However, the 607 does have Dolby Pro Logic IIz, which is new. The 806 does not. Not sure if that's a big deal, most tend to not use the extra processing. And almost nobody is looking to add another 2 speakers up front, which is the main new part of IIz.

But both models are compatible with the same surround formats as found on DVD, TV, Bluray. To answer that question.
yeah. 5 hours of sleep + big RFP at work + no time and short, not technically accurate answers.

and i would never buy the 607 for the DLP IIz. It is a matrixed mode, not discrete. Yamaha has had it on their receivers for a while (called "Presence"). Very few people will ever use it.
Old 06-23-09, 03:40 PM

I have no intention in utilizing the DLP IIz's. Not practical to hang 2 MORE speakers in my home. I guess get the 806 with the enhanced Video processing. Or is it worth it to get the cheaper and just utilize it as a 7.1? Decisions Decisions!
The price difference is 607 for $420 shipped or Onkyo 806 for $650 locally.
Old 06-23-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More power is usually worth it, when it is a significant increase. Half again as much may or may not be significant, but I think in this case it would probably sway me toward the 806. The 806 suggests it could handle 4 ohm speakers, too. While the 607 does not. That says something about the overall quality of the respective amps.

The one thing I didn't mention before that may swing some people is the 607 has an HDMI input on the front. That seems like a real good idea to me, but it hasn't been that common.
Old 06-29-09, 09:02 AM

Thank you all for the feedback. I was too late to buy the 806 at the price quoted since they sold out. I did buy the 607 receiver so I am now good in this regard. Thank you all in all your feedback. Looks like I am not going to lose out no matter what since they are both quality units with their own strengths and weaknesses.