DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Center Channel speaker mount

Old 06-16-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Center Channel speaker mount

Wondering if I could get some help or suggestions.

I currently have a 47" Toshiba Regza LCD TV and it sits on top of a glass TV stand with all of my components underneath..including a center speaker. I recently upgraded my center speaker to a Polk Audio CS10 speaker.

I want to have the speaker more at ear level, but the LCD tv sits low and I don't want to put the speaker in front of it. I also don't want to drill a mount into the wall. I've tried looking for speaker mounts for the TV but I couldn't find any thing.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this?
Old 06-17-09, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Center Channel speaker mount

http://www.standsandmounts.com/index...S&Category=346
Old 06-17-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You can also try it at different heights. Put it under the TV and see how it sounds. Yes, having the speakers at ear level is a good place to start, but there is no speaker placement police.

Also as you play with placement of the CC, play with placement of the main speakers. For my speakers I found that it sounded the best if they were on the same level. And since I have a 94" screen, there was not an option of ear level. It was either below the screen or above. Either sounded fine, but from a practical install standpoint, above was better. As for what I used, I ended up using gas/plumbing pipes. You can see the results in my sig if your curious.

And I wouldn't worry about holes in your drywall. If I have learned anything is that drywall is the easiest thing to fix. Especially minor/small holes.
Old 06-17-09, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a 58" Plasma with the center channel on a DVD shelf above the TV. It is considerably above ear level but sounds like it's coming from the screen.
Old 06-18-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, if you stick it behind you tv you can increase the volume to the center channel to compensate for the "blockage" - or at least your receiver should allow for this.