DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need a good VHS player--suggestions?

Old 06-11-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Need a good VHS player--suggestions?

I just bought a ridiculous amount of VHS tapes off of Ebay, and I would like to get a high-quality VHS player with an s-video out to connect to my PC so I can digitize the tapes (they're not commercial tapes, just old TV shows recorded off the air, so I don't have to worry about Macrovision). I am hoping someone remembers VHS tech better than I do and can recommend a brand or model that would maximize the quality of the output I get from each tape.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-09, 04:44 PM
ATX

Re: Need a good VHS player--suggestions?

i have always bought/owned JVC vcr's

so i would probably recommend whatever they are currently offering
Old 06-11-09, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still have my JVC HR-S9600U connected to my TV in the bedroom. Rarely use it now but when it was new it was my main player. I think it's over 10 years old. I'm sure you can find one for cheap nowadays.
Old 06-11-09, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any of the older JVC S-VHS machines were great (Time Base Corrector, Variable Speed FF & Rew, Audio Dubbing, etc...) but starting around 2003-2004 they focused more on DVD recorders and the quality went way down. If I remember correctly when I was laid off at the end of 2007 they didn't have any VCRs announced for 2008.

Bob
Old 06-11-09, 11:15 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by ATX View Post
i have always bought/owned JVC vcr's

so i would probably recommend whatever they are currently offering
I had a great one in the '80s, but they just don't last.
Old 06-12-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I appreciate the feedback so far, but I have one more related question: Would ebay be my best bet for finding a reasonably-priced unit, or should I search elsewhere?
Old 06-12-09, 06:33 PM

I'm not sure if this will help but this place still carries new VCRs:

http://www.world-import.com/vcr.htm

A few years ago, I purchased a new Toshiba VCR (though it was specifically for my PAL VHS tapes). It works just fine and can tape off of the TV set here in the US (most of their VCRs don't have NTSC tuners and, as of today, those particular tuners are worthless anyway).

The plug is a European plug, but it came with a snap-on plug so you can use it here. The VCR automatically switches to the proper voltage.

No one in the US sells new VCRs anymore. As you've said, you have to peruse eBay or some site like that. Even World Import has half or less of the amount of VCRs that they used to carry just a few years ago.

sue

ps Avoid the Samsungs
Old 06-12-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got a Mitsubishi HS-U447 and a JVC HR-A592U. Neither were very expensive, and both have been used for years. The Mitsubishi is probably about 7 years old or so.
Old 06-13-09, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm checking out some high-end JVCs on Ebay. Amazingly, all of the service manuals are still on JVC's website.

I appreciate all of the help, everyone!
Old 06-14-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Darknite39 View Post
I'm checking out some high-end JVCs on Ebay. Amazingly, all of the service manuals are still on JVC's website.

I appreciate all of the help, everyone!
JVC makes excellent VHS players. I bought the JVC 4-head Hi-fi Stereo VCR HRJ693U a while ago and it works great. I have a lot of old wrestling tapes (like WCW PPVs, WWE In Your House, etc.) and a lot of the titles probably won't see any releases on Blu-ray or DVD so I bought the JVC VCR at Future Shop. There was only one left, though.
Old 06-14-09, 11:52 AM

I appreciate the feedback so far, but I have one more related question: Would ebay be my best bet for finding a reasonably-priced unit, or should I search elsewhere?
Have you thought about the combo ones with VHS and DVD..
There are plenty out there..
Old 06-15-09, 07:15 PM

Try your local Goodwill/SalvationArmy/thrift store. Those places sell everything "as is" so be prepared to test it out; may have to bring along your own cables, VHS test tape, etc. Or if you have a local place that repairs audio/video equipment might be worth checking with them.
Old 06-16-09, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by jonnyquest View Post
Try your local Goodwill/SalvationArmy/thrift store. Those places sell everything "as is" so be prepared to test it out; may have to bring along your own cables, VHS test tape, etc. Or if you have a local place that repairs audio/video equipment might be worth checking with them.

Don't forget pawnshops and yard sales!
Old 06-16-09, 07:47 PM

I think it will be difficult to find a VHS deck that has S-VIDEO on it. SVHS decks will have them though.
Old 06-16-09, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by disneyguy View Post
Have you thought about the combo ones with VHS and DVD..
There are plenty out there..
Yes, but they are all absolute crap.
Old 06-16-09, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got my VHS tapes today from ebay, so I guess I need to finally bite the bullet. Some of the high-end JVCs are still around $300 on ebay, amazingly (to me), but some of the mid-tier players are much more reasonably priced. I'll update when I finally bite the bullet and decide what I want to get.
Old 06-19-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought a ridiculous amount of VHS tapes off of Ebay, and I would like to get a high-quality VHS player with an s-video out to connect to my PC so I can digitize the tapes (they're not commercial tapes, just old TV shows recorded off the air, so I don't have to worry about Macrovision). I am hoping someone remembers VHS tech better than I do and can recommend a brand or model that would maximize the quality of the output I get from each tape.

Thanks!
Have you considered this one? Its got USB.

http://www.amazon.com/ION-Audio-Vide.../dp/B0017PJ5FI
My dad bought one and loves it for converting VHS to digital files. Its $70 at Costco.
Old 06-23-09, 06:59 PM
cko
Cool New Member

One thing to be wary about on the JVC S-VHS decks is that for a period of time, they had a problem with static build up on the head drum not being properly discharged. after a while, the discharge brush didn't do its job and the static would show up on the signal during playback as white streaks scattered around the screen. (it didn't affect recording)

This was around the time of the HR-S6900 (which I have) and persisted into the next couple generations (7000? or 7100?). They had a special fix for it and I had it done but the streaks came back after a while anyhow.

However, the playback and recording quality of these units were as good as it got for consumer VHS/SVHS equipment.