Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Lifespan of RPTVs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-00, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering how long most rear projection TVs last. I bought a new Hitachi Ultravision RPTV last year and I've taken some steps to prolong its life such as calibrating it with Video Essentials. But in general, how many years can you get out of an RPTV? Does anybody here own one that still looks good after, say, 10 years?
Old 05-10-00, 08:23 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Hitachi 50" RPTV that's almost 10 years old and the picture looks great!

I've only owned it for a little over a year, and I thought it was 5 yrs old when I bought it, but the picture looked fine (I had to get some work done on it's guts but the guy said I should be fine for a couple more years or so.)

------------------
David, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]
Old 05-10-00, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Blade:
I have a Hitachi 50" RPTV that's almost 10 years old and the picture looks great!

I've only owned it for a little over a year, and I thought it was 5 yrs old when I bought it, but the picture looked fine (I had to get some work done on it's guts but the guy said I should be fine for a couple more years or so.)

<HR>

That's good to know that they last that long. A friend of mine has a Magnavox 46" that started to look poor after only 4 years, but it turned out that the picture tubes had a "fungus". He took it to a dealer and they drained the tubes or whatever was required and for less than $150, he had what looked like a brand new TV. So, though I hope mine never gets a "fungus", I think it'll last for many years to come.
Old 05-11-00, 04:15 AM
Uber Member

Yeah, RPTVs need to be serviced just about every year or so. You can do this yourself actually.

What happens is the alignment of the guns slowly goes as time passes, even if you don't move it.

Your user manual should mention this and how to fix it.

It's amazing how good these things look when properly calibrated and from the right angle. Still wishing for a front projector though!

------------------
Old 05-11-00, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Blade:
Yeah, RPTVs need to be serviced just about every year or so. You can do this yourself actually.

What happens is the alignment of the guns slowly goes as time passes, even if you don't move it.

Your user manual should mention this and how to fix it.

It's amazing how good these things look when properly calibrated and from the right angle. Still wishing for a front projector though!

<HR>

Mine has something called "Magic Focus", which is supposed to realign the guns or something along those lines. The owners manual said to use this feature after you've moved the TV or if the picture starts to look blurry.

Yeah, I'd love to have a front projector, too. It's amazing though, how much better RPTVs look in your home than they do in store showrooms. Just curious, does your TV have S-Video? I was just wondering how long that feature has been around.
Old 05-11-00, 07:23 AM
Uber Member

That sounds pretty handy.

The problem with store showrooms are lighting, little or no calibration, and viewing angle. Go stand 3 feet away from your TV and look down on it. That's what they look like in the store.

Next time you're in a store, kneel down and look at the set straight on. If it's playing a DVD it should look better, though stores are usually too bright too.

Yes my set has s-video. Thank goodness! Hoping to get progressive next time out. Have to upgrade the main and rear speakers first though.

------------------
Old 05-11-00, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, having at least S-Video makes such a huge difference. Mine also has component video (not progressive scan, unfortunately), so I have it hooked up both ways. I usually prefer component video, but oddly enough there are a few titles, such as Texas Chainsaw Massacre, that actually look better going through S-video. I guess titles that are extra "soft" looking benefit from the somewhat brighter picture that S-video offers, even though, in my opinion, you actually see more detail through component. If that makes any sense...