Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

JVC 701 and "The Abyss"

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

JVC 701 and "The Abyss"

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-00, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At 1.47:20 through :40 the video locks intermittently with no common denominator. The audio is unaffected and the video always gets back in synch. Anyone else?
Old 04-17-00, 04:22 PM

I just popped this in last night, and while not at the time mark you said, there were a couple instances of the video jumping for me. I was watching the extended version though I might be watching a different scene that you are referring to. Did you notice that the 701 doesn't let you change the audio during the movie, or do a time search? I had to go back to the main menu to get 5.1.
Old 04-17-00, 04:49 PM

I have all sorts of problems with my JVC701.
From idle hands, to Arlinton Road, The SDtory Of Us. The machine locks up. The reboot from JVC does not always work. I finally gave up and bought a real dvd player. A Toshiba sd1209. Everthing works and no prblems !!! I will never buy another JVC machine again. I also warn my friends to stay away.
Old 04-17-00, 08:55 PM

i also have had a lot of probs. with my dvd player. i have the JVC 501. it pisses me of because i love JVC. my hole home theater system is JVC. but the need to learn how to make deceint dvd player

[This message has been edited by edios (edited April 17, 2000).]
Old 04-18-00, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...guildda..

We are watching the same scene, Brigman is after Coffey and the nuke. I have had to bring up the dvd's menu to get out of the extras area a couple of times and there is at least one other intermittent frame skip. I didn't notice any audio problems, but I just listen to pcm for now.

If you want to check your display's overscan and you don't have a test disc like Video Essentials, just pop up the 701's menu while in play or still mode. The little picture will probably have significantly more image on both sides. If you do have VE, freeze on the overscan frame and the 701 has both safe title and safe action rectangles visible and centered 100%, at least mine does.

...patrckpiteo and edios..

I like my 701. I have VE in laserdisc and dvd and I route the ld thru the back and the dvd thru the front of my JVC 9500 svhs deck and the dvd/701 blows the ld/cld-d703 out of the water and the Pioneer d703 is a very good ld player. I also have a proscan 8680, which is a very nice machine, but the 701 has a much sharper image which you can soften if you like.

You guys are having more problems than I am. How are you rebooting it, what are the steps you are taking and what do you see on the faceplate?
Old 04-18-00, 02:02 AM

to reboot your player you need turn the player on then hold the on screen menu button at the same time hold the title button,ok now while holding them two buttons unplug the power cord (still holding both buttons down) plug the player back in. the dvd player should display JC2 or JC3 then hit the enter button, when you do that the resume light comes on. shut the power of and then back on----- wow thats it simple huh!!!
who the hell thought up this **** --- anyway thats how you reboot it hope it works for you

PS. i do like my JVC but ive had a lot of probs with it. i had it for 6 months and i had to send it to be fixed. i was so pissed
well anyway 3 weeks later and $75 less in my pocket i had my dvd player back!! now i am still having probs with it, so im not sure if i will buy another JVC, maybe i just baught a bad one who knows, well hope i helped with the reboot thing---
Old 04-18-00, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...edios..

That's the same dance. I think the designers thought the machine would only need to be rebooted in the shop, where you could easily toggle the ac, and they didn't look at the possibility that the consumer would have to do it...and do it...and do it.

Three weeks out of the shop and it already has problems, I would send it back and b**** like hell. Maybe you could work out a deal for a 511, I think that's a newer model.

Fifteen years ago, in Chicago, I needed a small belt for a large inexpensive reel to reel tape deck. I arranged everything over the phone and drove about 45 minutes to get to their store. The temp was in the 90's, 100% humidity and the store was closed!! I called in on a nearby phone and was told that the store had a surprize inventory check. I told him of my drive and he said he couldn't help it. I told him he could expect my tape deck to come flying through one of their big front windows. I was pissed.

I hung up and went to the van, got the deck, and started running toward the store with the deck over my head. The manager intercepted me, drive belt in hand and didn't charge me for it. Sometimes you have to remind them who is "really" paying their salaries.
Old 04-19-00, 12:17 AM

lol that is very funny!!! i would like to do the same but i wont i am thinkin of buying the new JVC ( the 3 disk carosel) but not real sure kinda pissed at JVC. but on the other hand i just bought the RX888 receiver from JVC and i love this thing!!! it has DD&DTS decoding, so not real sure what i want to do, i gess ill do something when my player shits the bed --lol

[This message has been edited by edios (edited April 18, 2000).]
Old 04-19-00, 12:56 AM

Speaking of my beloved 701, I know that Pulp Fiction has been known to give it trouble (I think from you LtlPhysics). How about the Alliance version? How does the player handle that?
Old 04-19-00, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...edios..

A true story indeed. The old tape deck was worth very little and the deal was done and confirmed. I had made an appointment and the manager didn't realize how hot it gets when you drive 45 minutes to cover 15 miles in that old beat-up van I had.

Anyway, I don't know what I would do if I were looking for a new player. The e-town reviewer loved the 701 just for its sound as a cd player. I like its transparency, but that is common among dvd players. I never saw that pinball machine on the laserdisc.

JVC should come clean on your 501 or see it back on their doorstep every six weeks. Dvd is just treading water now, you may have more whistles but the jump to 480p is expensive (32" tube @ $2400!) and leaves me out of the market. If you do go for the three dvd changer, I would run it 24 hrs a day, backwards, forwards, slow, fast, (sounds like sex, doesn't it?) and would return it at the first sign of trouble. Make it prove to you that it is worth the money. DVD is not forever.

What's that about "shits the bed"? I haven't heard that since southern Illinois.

...guildda..

That was me, all of those rhymes, and all of it true. The first 701 I had came with a host of problems, one of which was choking at the layer change in "Pulp Fiction". It locked and that was before the reboot was common knowledge, for me anyway. The second player, the one I have now had to be rebooted a couple of times and one time I loaded Pulp Fiction down-side-up and it fixed it!

If I'm lying I'm dieing,
the movie went flying,
from the front to the back
not once missing a track.
It's playing so well now,
just like ringing a bell cow.

And it still is with only an occasional anomaly. The Abyss is the first in a long time to have any video problems.

I am completely ignorant regarding the Alliance version. What's that?
Old 04-19-00, 12:49 PM

Well, maybe it's not made by Alliance, but there is a different Canadian version of Pulp Fiction that has more features.
Old 04-19-00, 02:50 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by edios:
... my hole home theater system is JVC. but the need to learn how to make deceint dvd player
[This message has been edited by edios (edited April 17, 2000).]
<HR>

Well since your whole home theater is nothing but a "hole" I guess I know why your DVD player doesn't work...

------------------
Rheuter http://www.dvdtracker.com/~rheuter.asp
Old 04-19-00, 03:53 PM

I had JVC 511 and returned it because it locked couple of times(I was able to reboot it though). Then I got JVC555(triple changer) and it workes perfectly for 4 months already.
I think it's latest model and it looks like they fixed all their problems.
Old 04-19-00, 08:32 PM

very funny rheuter, did it take you all day to think that up

cool rezo i hope you dont have any trouble with it!!
Old 04-19-00, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Typos happen. I have a well worn dictionary that is either on my lap or on the floor with the cat.

Another option is to send yourself a letter and spell check a word that doesn't "look quite right." The dictionary has more information, however, and the spell checker will pass both "whole and hole."

[This message has been edited by LtlPhysics (edited April 19, 2000).]
Old 04-20-00, 06:20 AM

very funny rheuter, did it take you all day to think that up

cool rezo i hope you dont have any trouble with it!!
<HR>

Haha that's a good fight back! Nope, it only take 2 secs for me to think that up.

How can you let that happen even though you have edited your message? And it's already 3 days and you still haven't make up your mind to correct it or not?

------------------
Old 04-20-00, 05:41 PM

i thought this was a forum for talking about
home theater! and not a forum to bash peoples
spelling. so i spell shitty o well. the person
i was talking to new what i was trying to say!
so thank you for bringing my bad spelling to my attention!
and ill try better in the future!!
Old 04-20-00, 09:51 PM

i thought this was a forum for talking about
home theater! and not a forum to bash peoples
spelling. so i spell shitty o well. the person
i was talking to new what i was trying to say!
so thank you for bringing my bad spelling to my attention!
and ill try better in the future!!
<HR>

Is that what people do when they can't fight back anymore? Try to shift focus? ("i thought this was a forum for talking about
home theater!") BTW, it's "knew" not "new", and "I'll" not "ill"...

OK, so I guess I pissed you off enough huh? Want to get me off your back? Try to have someone to proof read your message will help a lot. This will be my last reply, you all have a nice day.

Sorry for other people who wasted their time to read this crap. It was all intended to be a joke (I even put a happy face there) and he get all serious about it, all right then, so be it, I don't care.

------------------
Old 04-20-00, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Relax you guys, this is no big deal. You can view your posts as English exercizes if you wish, and get a little extra out of your efforts. I am as guilty of clumsy construction as anyone and have even written paragraphs in reverse order. I had to copy, delete, and paste my way out of that one.
Old 04-20-00, 11:04 PM

Don't worry guys, he emailed to me and I apologize to him, everything is cool now, peace out.

P.S. Did I say I'm not gonna reply to this thread anymore? Obviously I lied!

------------------
Old 05-01-00, 05:39 PM

I purchased a JVC 701 about three months ago and am also having the problem with the video skipping at the 1hr 5min timeframe; very aggrevating. Is the reboot that Edios is referring to permanantly resolve this problem or is it only as it happens? If not, what has anyone done with their 701?? Any luck with JVC??