Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

TN50X81 and Anamorphic?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

TN50X81 and Anamorphic?

Old 04-18-00, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, call me a rookie but...

What's the score with the Toshiba TNnnX81 (or any other 4:3 HD set) when it comes to anamorphic material from DVD? If I set the player to 16x9, will I get the vertical stretch like I do on my standard TV and will this effect be as pronounced as it is on a non high def box?

I'm trying to weigh the merits of 4:3 v/s 16:9 RPTVs and though I really like the TN50X81 I don't want to get it if I have to sacrafice anamorphic.

Suggestions? Comments? Flames?

------------------

Web-Today Destinations: Best of the Web, Seven Days a Week!
Old 04-19-00, 09:27 PM

I don't quite understand your question. You seem to be asking about the TN50X81's ability to display anamorphic DVD's.

Perhaps you are asking wether the set has an "anamorphic squeeze" mode that allows widescreen anamorphic DVD's to be displayed at full resolution rather than sending a downconverted image to the set. It has no such mode and must recieve a 4x3 downconverted image from the DVD player for proper display.

If you are asking about 4x3 vs. 16x9 sets in general, your purchase decision must be based solely on what entertainment medium you watch most... broadcast television or DVD movies.

If you watch mostly b'cast tv, go for a 4x3 set... you will sacrifice resolution on widescreen dvd's but will be able to watch tv full screen (watching excessive 4x3 images on a 16x9 tv can result in a permanent phosphor burn-in of dark shadows on each side of the screen where the side bars are).

If you emphasize DVD movies (as I do), get a 16x9 set... you will get full screen and full resolution movies, but will have to make a sacrifice by watching b'cast tv in a safer "cropped" mode whereby the top+bottom of the image are cut off, eliminating the burn-in phenomenon.

I have both the Toshiba TN50X81 (4x3) and the TW65X81 (16x9). They are both superior products and I would recommend them to anyone thinking of buying an HDTV-ready RPTV.

If you have specific questions about either one, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 04-19-00, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since you said "or any other 4:3 HD set" I thought I'd mention mine. I have a Hitachi SDX60 60" progressive-scan. It's a 4x3 format TV but it has a 16x9 mode. So I leave the DVD player set to 16x9 and when I insert an anamorphic disc you can immediately see the stretched picture. Takes a couple of seconds to switch the TV over to 16x9 mode and then I can enjoy the full resolution of anamorphic discs.

The 16x9 mode uses a grey signal in the top and bottom letterboxed area to help avoid burn-in. It is horrible to view like that IMO so I immediately fashioned two black bars which I place over these areas and voila you have a 16x9 TV. Although it might sound silly doing this the bars actually make the picture look bigger and more natural, especially with 1.85:1 movies as the black bars are completely black compared to the greyish black of the player's signal.

Anyway, this solution might not be for everyone but I feel I have the best of both worlds. It really only takes me a few seconds to install my bars. This TV is much nicer for fullscreen DVDs like concert videos and IMAX movies than a 16x9 set. Satellite looks fantastic on this set as well.

tworischeck has good advice though....if you primarily need a TV for widescreen DVDs, then a dedicated 16x9 set would probably be better...just depends on your needs.
Old 04-19-00, 10:19 PM
Banned

Should have been more clear.

Yes, I was asking about the 'squeeze' mode. Some of the Toshibas in the TN series seem to have it and others dont. Since the TN50X81 doesn't that precludes my buying it. I don't want a set that can't do anamorphic in full resolution.

That leaves me with either the TW40X81 (there's one on the floor of the local Good Guys for 2,300 right now but it's open box and the display set so the price is a little high) or one of the Mitz machines...

Thanks for the help!

------------------

Old 04-20-00, 12:23 AM

The TW40X81 is also a great set. Many people in this forum have it.

You should be able to get one for less than $2K.
Old 04-20-00, 09:40 PM
Banned

Well, I went for the TW40X81. It'll be here tomorrow. This was my first choice so I'm happy. I was surprised to find one here in town considering how much trouble everyone has been having getting them.

Now all I have to do is reconfigure my entire living room and take appart, reinstall my audio/video hookups (the entertainment center has to go. it's much too small for the new set) and run the Toshiba through AVIA...

That's going to be _some_ friday =)

------------------