Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Bad Settings or Cheap Cables?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been meaning to ask this for ages but just never get around to it. In the fall I purchased a Samsung LN46A650 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz HDTV and have been using my PS3 as my Blu Ray player.

I really love the set but no matter what settings I try I see to have the edges of charters blur when they move past stuff past or when an object moves fast. I have visited the thread for the TV at the AVS forum just to see what the recommended settings are. I complied all the best settings for each device type and printed out a huge list of settings. I have been fumbling with the settings for some time now and I still can't get it perfect. When I got the TV I also got a good deal on HDMI cables but I am wondering if the cables are just shit and causing the issue.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome because after having the TV for months I am out of ideas.
Old 03-02-09, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Bad Settings or Cheap Cables?

What's "edges of charters"?

Very doubtful it could be your cables. Cables causing motion blurriness wouldn't be possible even with analog, let alone digital.
Old 03-02-09, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is a "feature" of your LCD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDTV_blur
Old 03-02-09, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What source is causing the blur?

Unless the cables are damaged it is not the cables. It is a poor source, sharpness up too high or some other type of setting. Even with that I personally find the 120 hz sets to be distracting.

You may need to set up different settings for each input/source.
Old 03-02-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
What source is causing the blur?

Unless the cables are damaged it is not the cables. It is a poor source, sharpness up too high or some other type of setting. Even with that I personally find the 120 hz sets to be distracting.

You may need to set up different settings for each input/source.

I have a variety of settings for my PC, gaming and movie sources. The Blu Rays from my PS3 are the problem. I really don't watch over the air HD broadcasts that much so I haven't noticed an issue while watching anything other than the Blu Rays. The problem is not noticeable all the time but I can understand the problem might pop up in something like my Lost Season 4 set since people are always moving around in the jungle but when I noticed the problem during the lawn fight scene in Stepbrothers I figured it was time to seek the help of the forum.

I'll tweak a few more things and experiment with some of the other settings that were mentioned and recommended on the forum since everyone things the cables are not the issue. I have never been into the Monster Cable hoax/BS but figured maybe this one time I should of spent a bit extra.