Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question concerning TrueHD audio

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me out, possibly give me a bit of insight. I've been searching the net and these boards to try and find all the info I could but it's just not cutting it.

I just bought a PS3 80gig system.

I have a LG 1080i HD TV.

and

I have an LG 5.1 Home Theater System model # LGT854

I'm curious about the TRUEHD Audio that BD discs support.

I believe my PS3 only has one HDMI out. That's going directly into my TV. So in order to get surround sound I have an optical cable running from my PS3 to my LG 5.1 Home Theater System.

Now, am I able to achieve TrueHD audio using an optical cable? That's the only way I can get audio from my PS3 to my HTS... So, yeah...

Also, I'm not familiar with decoding audio and all of that. So I am posting a link to my Home Theater System Specs. Would somebody please tell me if it's capable of handling TRUEHD Audio?

http://shopping.msn.com/specs/lg-lht...em-5-1-channel

With my current set up, am I able to watch HD BD discs and get TrueHD audio?
Old 02-26-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Question concerning TrueHD audio

You can not get 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 HD audio via optical.

Your LG system does not even list any HDMI in, just 1 HDMI out. Is that the case?

You LG system does not decode. There is a possibility that your PS3 can decode and send the decoded audio over HDMI to the LG system if it accepts HD audio over HDMI but it doesn't seem like it does.
Old 02-26-09, 02:45 PM

No, only has HDMI out. So I guess I'm S.O.L.

Is hearing audio in TrueHD pretty amazing???

Also, found more specs. Official Specs.

Amplifier
Decoding(dts®) •
Decoding(5.1/6.1CH Stereo)

Audio
XTS Pro (Digital Amplifier) •
DTS Decoding •
Dolby Digital 5.1 ch Decoding •
Dolby Digital 2 ch Down Mix •
Dolby Digital Prologic ll •
dts® •
Dolby® Prologic® II •
DRC (Dynamic Range Control) •
VSM •
XTS Pro (eXtreme True Sound Pro) •
VSM (Virtual Sound Matrix)
Old 02-26-09, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital
No, only has HDMI out. So I guess I'm S.O.L.

Is hearing audio in TrueHD pretty amazing???

Also, found more specs. Official Specs.

Amplifier
Decoding(dts®) •
Decoding(5.1/6.1CH Stereo)

Audio
XTS Pro (Digital Amplifier) •
DTS Decoding •
Dolby Digital 5.1 ch Decoding •
Dolby Digital 2 ch Down Mix •
Dolby Digital Prologic ll •
dts® •
Dolby® Prologic® II •
DRC (Dynamic Range Control) •
VSM •
XTS Pro (eXtreme True Sound Pro) •
VSM (Virtual Sound Matrix)

I looked up all of those specs. Yes, you are SOL. And yes, HD audio is amazing. But to be honest, LG speakers aren't going to be that great at reproducing audio anyway, so you won't see much of an upgrade with those speakers. Just start saving and once you hit the $1,000 mark come back here and start a thread "Help Me Choose My New Audio Set-up".

You should be hooking everything up to your receiver right now and just using a single HDMI cord to go to your television. I assume that is what you are doing?
Old 02-26-09, 03:05 PM

Yeah, thanks for the tip. I'll start saving and be back here soon enough asking for advice on a new set-up!

Um, yeah.

I have my PS3 going into my TV via HDMI cable. I have an optical cable going from my PS3 to my LG receiver. All my speakers are hooked up to my LG receiver of course. So when I use my PS3 I mute the TV. Use the surround sound for my sound and the TV for HD.

Now, when I watch TV, I don't have anything going from my TV to my Surround Sound. I only have 1 Optical Input on my LG receiver so I'm kinda screwed running sound for when I watch TV to the LG Receiver.

All in All the only thing hooked up to my HTS is my PS3. When I watch TV I just use my TV, nothing else.
Old 02-26-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Yup, couldn't agree more. Upgrade your audio system will have significantly more of an impact on overall audio quality then lossless.

And I think I'm "slightly" disagree with SoSpacey; I think going lossless is a "nice" upgrade. I don't know that I would agree that "HD audio is amazing" compared to a nice "regular" surround set up. And I think we are talking degrees here. I just think that there are are lot of other things that can have a greater impact on sound.
Old 02-26-09, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Yup, couldn't agree more. Upgrade your audio system will have significantly more of an impact on overall audio quality then lossless.

And I think I'm "slightly" disagree with SoSpacey; I think going lossless is a "nice" upgrade. I don't know that I would agree that "HD audio is amazing" compared to a nice "regular" surround set up. And I think we are talking degrees here. I just think that there are are lot of other things that can have a greater impact on sound.
one thing i know you will agree with me with is....if he upgrades his audio and upgrades to lossless, the difference compared to what he currently has will be amazing.
Old 02-26-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
one thing i know you will agree with me with is....if he upgrades his audio and upgrades to lossless, the difference compared to what he currently has will be amazing.

YUP...no doubt!