Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Receiver giving me lines on my TV

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-18-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hopefully one of you guys can help me out. my receiver is putting small lines that rotate across the screen fairly slowly but it's still distracting as hell. i wired my dvd player directly into the tv and the lines were no more. only when i feed my dvd player through the receiver do the lines show up. for reference the reciever model is a sony STR DE475. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 02-18-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Receiver giving me lines on my TV

You have a ground loop causing the rolling interference on your TV. Try plugging the TV, DVD player and receiver into the same power strip or wall jack.
Old 02-18-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mordred
You have a ground loop causing the rolling interference on your TV. Try plugging the TV, DVD player and receiver into the same power strip or wall jack.
they're all plugged into the same power strip.
Old 02-18-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 407 Likes on 352 Posts

I swear that when I had that problem with my projector it was from the component cables picking up interference from my furnace in the attic.

I would just continue to try different things. First try plugging the different A/C into different outlets. Try a different power strip. Try using one of those adapters that basically eliminates the third (grounding) plug on the A/C. Try moving your HDMI or Component (whatever wires carry the video for you) so that they do not run the same direction as the power cables. Try different video cables.

I ended up getting a CL2 rated HDMI cable from monoprice and that "fixed" my issue. Of course going from component (really heavy coax cable with RCA ends) to nice HDMI there was a lot more that it could have been (maybe as simple as a loose RCA end adapter). But regardless, going to heavy weight HDMI solved the problem.

Also, how long have you had this problem? What did you add to your system that you suddenly just noticed it? Is the Sony receiver new? Or the TV? Or is this an entirely new set up?
Old 02-18-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I swear that when I had that problem with my projector it was from the component cables picking up interference from my furnace in the attic.

I would just continue to try different things. First try plugging the different A/C into different outlets. Try a different power strip. Try using one of those adapters that basically eliminates the third (grounding) plug on the A/C. Try moving your HDMI or Component (whatever wires carry the video for you) so that they do not run the same direction as the power cables. Try different video cables.

I ended up getting a CL2 rated HDMI cable from monoprice and that "fixed" my issue. Of course going from component (really heavy coax cable with RCA ends) to nice HDMI there was a lot more that it could have been (maybe as simple as a loose RCA end adapter). But regardless, going to heavy weight HDMI solved the problem.

Also, how long have you had this problem? What did you add to your system that you suddenly just noticed it? Is the Sony receiver new? Or the TV? Or is this an entirely new set up?
had the same set up for about 2 years now. i've had the lines maybe the past 2 months. i toyed around with it some today and now the lines are much fainter...i think i just need to unplug everything and streamline my wire situation, it's kinda just a big mess at the moment.
Old 02-18-09, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 407 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
had the same set up for about 2 years now. i've had the lines maybe the past 2 months. i toyed around with it some today and now the lines are much fainter...i think i just need to unplug everything and streamline my wire situation, it's kinda just a big mess at the moment.
It could be as simple as a loose cable. Simply unplugging everything and re-plugging back in and making sure they are firm might due the trick.

If your are sure you didn't have the problem before (as opposed to just not noticing before) and now you do, then my guess is a loose connection. But then I've been wrong before...