DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I cannot figure this out...

Old 02-03-09, 09:00 PM

I cannot figure this out...

I own a Panasonic Plasma HDTV, a Sony Playstation 3, and a Sony STR-DG720 A/V receiver. Everything is connected via HDMI cables.

The manual for the Sony STR-DG720 receiver says to set the receiver to Auto Frequency Detect (AFD) mode, and the receiver will automatically recognize which audio format to output. I know this works, because when I watch HD TV through my HD cable receiver, the A/V receiver notifies me that it is decoding Dolby Digital 3.1/5.1/7.1, etc.

I have configured the Sony Playstation 3's audio output to use an HDMI connection and to automatically detect the audio settings.

In this configuration, whenever I have it on the main menu, the A/V receiver says it is receiving a PCM 2 channel 48khz signal from the Playstation 3. I'm guessing that's all the Playstation 3 outputs when there is no game loaded or movie loaded.

When I play games, the A/V receiver says it is receiving a PCM 2 channel 48khz signal from the Playstation 3. However, if I manually set the audio settings to output only Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, PCM 2 channel 44.1khz (note: the Playstation 3 will not let me deselect this option), and PCM 2 channel 48khz (note: the Playstation 3 will not let me deselect this option either), then when I play games, the A/V receiver says it is receiving a Dolby Digital signal from the Playstation 3.

If I reset the audio settings to auto detect, then when I play games, the A/V receiver goes back to receiving only a PCM 2 channel 48 khz signal from the Playstation 3. If I want the full Dobly Digital experience, I have to manually set the audio settings on the Playstation 3.

Now, when I try to watch Blue-ray movies on the Playstation 3, the A/V receiver says it is receiving a PCM 2 channel 48 khz signal from the Playstation 3. The A/V receiver says this regardless if I set the Playstation 3's audio settings manually as mentioned above, or if I let the Playstation 3 automatically detect the audio settings.

Why can I not get a Dolby Digital signal from the Playstation 3 when I watch Blue-ray movies or when I play games?

This is really starting to frustrate me, because I thought the whole point of Blue-ray was, in addition to an amazing picture, an amazing sound experience, as well. I am not getting this, since the Playstation 3 will only output PCM 2 channel 48 khz, it seems.

I would greatly appreciate any help!!!!
Old 02-04-09, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: I cannot figure this out...

On the Video Menu of your PS3, set the BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) to Linear PCM. I don't know much about your receiver, but I assume it accepts multi-channel PCM over HDMI. If you need to set it to do so, set the input coming from the PS3 for multi-channel PCM. In the Audio Menu of the PS3, make sure that Linear PCM 5.1 Ch. is checked in the Audio Output Settings. Then you should have 5.1 PCM (decoded by the PS3).

Last edited by kefrank; 02-04-09 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-04-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's cause your receiver sucks. Sorry to bring you the bad news. No settings you change will give you good sound. That's a cheap ass $250 receiver that can't do multichannel PCM, Dolby Digital True HD or DTS Master Audio.

I see why you were asking for the Dolby Digital signal now instead of the others. I don't think any games are in dolby digital really they're all 5.1 multichannel. You I think should be able to somehow get plain 5.1 out of the blu ray's but not sure how. Maybe set your settings in ps3 to bitstream under blu ray options.

If you just bought that receiver take it back get a good one. I mean for the same price range you can get one that does that audio you want.
Old 02-04-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
It's cause your receiver sucks. Sorry to bring you the bad news. No settings you change will give you good sound. That's a cheap ass $250 receiver that can't do multichannel PCM, Dolby Digital True HD or DTS Master Audio.

I see why you were asking for the Dolby Digital signal now instead of the others. I don't think any games are in dolby digital really they're all 5.1 multichannel. You I think should be able to somehow get plain 5.1 out of the blu ray's but not sure how. Maybe set your settings in ps3 to bitstream under blu ray options.

If you just bought that receiver take it back get a good one. I mean for the same price range you can get one that does that audio you want.
LOL. Tell us how you really feel.

While I agree with hdtv00s review of the quality of that receiver, there is a way to solve your problem.

The Sony doesn't need to decode the HD formats, it only needs to be able to accept audio over HDMI, which it seems to do. Try the adjustments kevfrank was giving you and it should work.

Your PS3 will do the decoding and then send it to your receiver over HDMI.

My Yamaha doesn't decode the latest formats and it far from sucks. My PS3 decodes and sends it to my Yamaha. My Yamaha is a beast. As long as your receiver can accept audio over HDMI you will be fine.

Granted the sound quality won't be what it is with most receivers and the until can break down at any point, but it will work for what you are trying to do..
Old 02-04-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hehe I'm such a ball buster. I did look up his specs I can't remember if it even does 5.1 over pcm. I looked it up on crutchfield.
Old 02-05-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is why, part that bd (and hd DVD) did not help sell other products as many had thought. To confusing and to many variables.

Will the receiver accept the audio?
Will it decode lossless?
Will your source decode the newest formats?
Do you have you receiver and source set up correctly?
Old 02-05-09, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
This is why, part that bd (and hd DVD) did not help sell other products as many had thought. To confusing and to many variables.

Will the receiver accept the audio?
Will it decode lossless?
Will your source decode the newest formats?
Do you have you receiver and source set up correctly?
But didn't that also happen when DVD first took off?

Back in the late 90s I seem to remember the same type of confusion when referring to the new Dolby Digital formats....

Many people and Pro Logic set-ups. Couldn't figure out why they weren't getting DD. Or people had DD set-ups but were only connected using the "red and white" wires. Is the DVD player doing the decoding or does the receiver do it? My DVD player does DTS, and the disk is DTS but it says Dolby Digital on my receiver.
Old 02-05-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You maybe right. But either I'm getting older or this seems even more confusing...LOL

Probably another part of it is, there where a lot of sales when flat panels came down in price. Everyone (including the wife) wanted a big TV. So probably a lot of people bought a surround set up then. And now with BD (and formally HD DVD) they are realizing that just might not cut it anymore, yet they don't want to upgrade only a couple year old receiver.
Old 02-05-09, 04:43 PM

You maybe right. But either I'm getting older or this seems even more confusing...LOL

Probably another part of it is, there where a lot of sales when flat panels came down in price. Everyone (including the wife) wanted a big TV. So probably a lot of people bought a surround set up then. And now with BD (and formally HD DVD) they are realizing that just might not cut it anymore, yet they don't want to upgrade only a couple year old receiver.

yeah, i just think it's part of this big learning curve any time new technology is introduced to the market.

i'd like to think that a large group of us, you included, are at the front of the learning curve. we talk about this stuff every day. even with that, there are still things i am learning and so much I don't know about.

i was on another forum today and they were discussing vacuum amps.

when talking about receivers, people start talking about thd, resistors, capacitors...

i feel like i try and stay ahead of the curve and i still get confused with a lot of stuff. I can only imagine what it is like to try and get a little knowledge together to make a new purchase for someone who is new to this.

i had a conversation once with someone who was a very senior member at a similar forum about my receiver. they were trying to tell me that my receiver was outdated and I wasn't getting HD Audio since it didn't decode it. he couldn't understand that the player could decode and my receiver accepted it over PCM so it was the same thing. all the while his receiver, which did decode, was actually not doing the decoding and operating the exact same way mine was.

it's a confusing hobby for enthusiasts, i can see how it confusing it would be to J6P.
Old 02-05-09, 06:47 PM

Haha. This made me laugh. In all honesty, though, I appreciate your candor.

Yes, the receiver does suck, and I recently just took it back for a refund.

Now, I'm searching for a good receiver that will do what I want.

Let me ask you guys this...

Would it be better to buy a high-end dedicated Blue-ray DVD player, or will the PS3 do everything a high-end Blue-ray DVD player will do?
Old 02-05-09, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're fine with a ps3 as the blu ray player. As for replacement receiver..

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...nkyo-tx-sr606s

Sony STR-DG820
Yamaha 6160 or 663
Onkyo TR-SR606
Pioneer 1018

Would all be ok choices. Whichever you can find cheapest if that's what you want.

Last edited by hdtv00; 02-05-09 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-06-09, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by boarderofwake View Post
Haha. This made me laugh. In all honesty, though, I appreciate your candor.

Yes, the receiver does suck, and I recently just took it back for a refund.

Now, I'm searching for a good receiver that will do what I want.

Let me ask you guys this...

Would it be better to buy a high-end dedicated Blue-ray DVD player, or will the PS3 do everything a high-end Blue-ray DVD player will do?

I almost hate to ask...but what speakers do you have?
Old 02-06-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SoSpacey View Post
yeah, i just think it's part of this big learning curve any time new technology is introduced to the market.

i'd like to think that a large group of us, you included, are at the front of the learning curve. we talk about this stuff every day. even with that, there are still things i am learning and so much I don't know about.

i was on another forum today and they were discussing vacuum amps.

when talking about receivers, people start talking about thd, resistors, capacitors...

i feel like i try and stay ahead of the curve and i still get confused with a lot of stuff. I can only imagine what it is like to try and get a little knowledge together to make a new purchase for someone who is new to this.

i had a conversation once with someone who was a very senior member at a similar forum about my receiver. they were trying to tell me that my receiver was outdated and I wasn't getting HD Audio since it didn't decode it. he couldn't understand that the player could decode and my receiver accepted it over PCM so it was the same thing. all the while his receiver, which did decode, was actually not doing the decoding and operating the exact same way mine was.

it's a confusing hobby for enthusiasts, i can see how it confusing it would be to J6P.
Very true. And while I try to stay on top it. I'm really old school. I still think all this fansy smancy stuff is worthless without a nice pair of speakers. And unlike all the electronics, good speakers never go out of style.
Old 02-06-09, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The STR-DG720 takes LPCM from the PS3 for lossless. I don't own a PS3, but I suspect your settings are incorrect somewhere. The PS3 should decode lossless formats and send them to the 720, which should report 5.1 etc output.

-beebs
Old 02-06-09, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What model of Panasonic Plasma?

-beebs
Old 02-06-09, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very true. And while I try to stay on top it. I'm really old school. I still think all this fansy smancy stuff is worthless without a nice pair of speakers. And unlike all the electronics, good speakers never go out of style.
True but a person has to start somewhere. And a single entry level receiver is cheaper than quality 5.1 speaker setup hands down.

Yep checking at sony it does say that receiver could handle lpcm but not decode the formats. Maybe the cheap thing can't auto detect what's coming in and you had to change the settings to correct thing yourself. Who know's don't matter now since I think he said he took that thing back.
Old 02-06-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

True but a person has to start somewhere. And a single entry level receiver is cheaper than quality 5.1 speaker setup hands down.

Yep checking at sony it does say that receiver could handle lpcm but not decode the formats. Maybe the cheap thing can't auto detect what's coming in and you had to change the settings to correct thing yourself. Who know's don't matter now since I think he said he took that thing back.
Well...I would argue that a system of decent speakers, inexpensive but quality receiver (low end H/K, Onkyo) that "only" does 5.1, will sound better then a receiver that does lossless but sounds like crap (cheap Sony) and cheap HTiB speakers.

IMO most (at least many) people see "lossless" or "new format" and jump to upgrade what might be a decent sounding receiver. Upgrading speakers is almost always going to give you better over all sound then upgrading a receiver to only get the lossless. If you have cheap/HTiB speakers, I see no point in upgrading your receiver to lossless.
Old 02-06-09, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let me just be clear. Anyone who buys a HTiB should be killed. They should just end it haha. Yeah I agree with your mission(hehe) to tell everyone to buy better speakers. I totally agree having nice speakers is better pick than shit sony or HTiB. But If someone is buying something I'm not gonna preach to them right off the bat to upgrade everything, which is what basically they'd be doing.

I was lucky enough to finally learn to upgrade , when you upgrade do it right. Even if it's one piece of the pie at a time. Take your time, it's ok. Just make the right choices are at least the best choice for what you have or want to spend.

But HTiB should be outlawed and we all know it.
Old 02-06-09, 05:17 PM

But HTiB should be outlawed and we all know it.
HTiB is just a gateway drug. Like pot is to drugs and Tiesto is to dance music.
Old 02-07-09, 03:53 AM

Well, I took anything audio I had back. So right now, I have my PS3 running straight into my TV via HDMI. I have a Panasonic TH-46PZ85U. I'm hoping I'll have enough money at the end of this year saved to maybe jump into the Pioneer PRO-111FD.

Anyway, I'm so confused by all of the high-end audio stuff that I'm just leaving it alone for now. The learning curve is so huge on it that I'm not sure I'll ever get my head around it all. For right now, I've decided that I'm content with just the TV speakers.
Old 02-07-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some one get the crash cart , STAT. We're losing him.
Old 02-07-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by boarderofwake View Post

Anyway, I'm so confused by all of the high-end audio stuff that I'm just leaving it alone for now. The learning curve is so huge on it that I'm not sure I'll ever get my head around it all. For right now, I've decided that I'm content with just the TV speakers.

NOOOOO! Not the TV speakers!!! AGGGGGHHHHHHHH