Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

NooB ?: Connecting Reciever to PS3 need HDMI?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I'm thinking about finally getting a Home theater setup. Due to size and $$ I'm looking at getting a 5.1 system.

My question is do I have to get a Rec that has HDMI input/output or can I just connect the PS3 using the digital optical and leave the HDMI cable from the PS3 that goes to my TV?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the last time I had a Rec was back when they only had 4 channel surround sound and not all this fancy stuff! LOL.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 01-25-09, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: NooB ?: Connecting Reciever to PS3 need HDMI?

You don't have to get a receiver that does it, but if you are buying one, it would be a good idea. I have an older receiver that only does S-Video, so I've set up my system like you said: HDMI to the TV and optical/digital coax to the receiver.
Old 01-25-09, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
You don't have to get a receiver that does it, but if you are buying one, it would be a good idea. I have an older receiver that only does S-Video, so I've set up my system like you said: HDMI to the TV and optical/digital coax to the receiver.

Good to know that it can be done. Most HDMI Rec that I have seen are only 7.1. I don't have that large of a living room and the cost is a little more than I want to pay.
I'm only getting one because recently watching Blu-Rays has been difficult pushing 5.1 audio through the 2 speakers on my TV. The score and explosions etc. are too damn loud when I turn it up enough to hear the dialogue. Plus I'm sure I'm missing a great part of the reason for owning Blu-ray would be the sound quality.
Old 01-25-09, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Just because the receiver is 7.1 doesn't mean you have to use 7.1. You could still stick to 5.1.

But to answer your question, yes you can (and some argue it is the best way to go) to send video directly to the display rather then loop thru a receiver. The Optical or coaxial to the receiver for you surround processing.

If you look at my sig. that is exactly how I have my set up. PS3 (and HD DVD and HD Dish) video directly to display, then all three optical to receiver for 5.1 (actually 6.1) to receiver for audio. Works well!

I don't do lossless. If that is an interest to you, then you have to look at other options.
Old 01-25-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Just because the receiver is 7.1 doesn't mean you have to use 7.1. You could still stick to 5.1.

But to answer your question, yes you can (and some argue it is the best way to go) to send video directly to the display rather then loop thru a receiver. The Optical or coaxial to the receiver for you surround processing.

If you look at my sig. that is exactly how I have my set up. PS3 (and HD DVD and HD Dish) video directly to display, then all three optical to receiver for 5.1 (actually 6.1) to receiver for audio. Works well!

I don't do lossless. If that is an interest to you, then you have to look at other options.
I didn't know that about 7.1. I guess it makes sense when I think about it. Sounds like using the optical is the way to go then. Didn't want to buy it all and not work.
Old 01-25-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Sdallnct ,
How the hell do you put that much effort into a home theater and not do it properly audio wise hehe. I'm shocked.
Old 01-25-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdtv00
How the hell do you put that much effort into a home theater and not do it properly audio wise hehe.
That's a very good question.

Originally Posted by DarthVong
Sounds like using the optical is the way to go then. Didn't want to buy it all and not work.
No, it isn't. If you're buying a new receiver, you should future-proof yourself and get one with HDMI inputs. Optical and digital coax cannot handle the bandwidth of the newer audio formats that are available on Blu-ray and HD DVD. You'll be restricting yourself to downconverted sound. But by connecting with HDMI, your new receiver will be able to decode Dolby Digital True HD and DTS Master Audio, etc., if so equipped (and most are).

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 01-25-09 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Sdallnct ,
How the hell do you put that much effort into a home theater and not do it properly audio wise hehe. I'm shocked.
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
That's a very good question.

No, it isn't. If you're buying a new receiver, you should future-proof yourself and get one with HDMI inputs. Optical and digital coax cannot handle the bandwidth of the newer audio formats that are available on Blu-ray and HD DVD. You'll be restricting yourself to downconverted sound. But by connecting with HDMI, your new receiver will be able to decode Dolby Digital True HD and DTS Master Audio, etc., if so equipped (and most are).
Well....

The OP asked if he "HAD" to get a receiver with HDMI. I assume this is for budget reasons. The answer is no, you do not. And I did put in the note about lossless. I totally agree if you have the money, if you want the newest audio formats, then get a receiver that can process lossless. No doubt. But if you don't have the money for it, maybe your buying a used receiver then you can still get very, very good sound out of optical.

As for me personally...well....I'm on a budget. I wouldn't mind having lossless. But as I've said many a times, you would get better overall sound quality by upgrading your speakers. And I wouldn't downgrade in receivers just to get lossless. My H/K sounds wonderful. I'm not going up get a POS Sony receiver because is is cheap but does lossless. Then I'll just have crappy sounding lossless...And I'm not upgrading receivers till I upgrade subwoofer and then speakers and then the receiver.

I've got my eye on a SVS sub. Might think about for my birthday. Will have to see. And I think that upgrading my Sub would have a much bigger impact in overall sound quality then keeping my current sub and upgrading receivers (even to an H/K) that does lossless.
Old 01-27-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a Yamaha 463.. great reciever..
Old 01-31-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for all the tips. I ended up getting this on Amazon. Fit my price range and I had a gift card to pay for some of it.
It has 2 HDMI inputs.

Yamaha YHT-390BL Home Theater in a Box (Black)
Old 02-02-09, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthVong
Thanks for all the tips. I ended up getting this on Amazon. Fit my price range and I had a gift card to pay for some of it.
It has 2 HDMI inputs.

Yamaha YHT-390BL Home Theater in a Box (Black)
The HDMI on that HT only does video. It does not do audio over HDMI and does not decode the current HD codecs.

You will see no audio benefits of HDMI with that system and you will still need to hook everything up via optical.
Old 02-02-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah first rule of home theater, never buy a Home Theater In A Box...

$300 something could've bought you a real receiver.
Old 02-02-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah first rule of home theater, never buy a Home Theater In A Box...

$300 something could've bought you a real receiver.

True, but it wouldn't get speakers. I did say I was on a budget and I have no desire to have "the best of the best" in HT. The HTIB has gotten great reviews as an entry level to home theater, which is exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for the advice though.
Old 02-02-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
The HDMI on that HT only does video. It does not do audio over HDMI and does not decode the current HD codecs.

You will see no audio benefits of HDMI with that system and you will still need to hook everything up via optical.
I realize that, but I cannot afford a true HDMI rec at this time. It's better than the 2 channel virtual surround via TV that I have now.