Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD with builtin decoder OR Receiver with decoder!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-00, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is better:

I have a recvr which is compatible - does it make sense for me to buy a dvd player with builtin decoder or buy a cheap dvd player and buy another decoder recvr.

what is the cost diff in two scenarios - Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-00, 01:54 PM

I would go with the decoder in the receiver. It's always better to do the decoding "downstream", that way if you ever need decoding on other sources like a satellite dish system or digital TV in the future you will always be ready. If it's in the player, that will always be your one DD source. DD receivers have gone way down lately, as low as $299. Consider DTS too when choosing a receiver, its place in the DVD market is quickly expanding!
Good Luck!!

------------------
"Alright you primitive screwheads, this is my BOOMstick!!"
My discs: www.dvdtracker.com/~jaysweet.asp
"Shop smart, shop S-Mart"
Old 03-27-00, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would go for the new receiver as opposed to the player with the decoder built in. DTS is becoming more prevalent and is not built into most players with a built in decoder, and IMHO most of the time sounds better than the DD soundtrack of a particular movie. Also a new receiver will allow you flexibility when DVD-Audio materializes as well as things such as S-Video switching if you ever have a nedd for it...

J

------------------
My ever growing list of DVDs
Old 03-27-00, 05:48 PM

I agree with the above and a have a few more points to add.

1. If the decoder is on the receiver, you only need one digital line connecting the two. If you use a digital coax link (vs. optical), you don't have to worry about cable quality since it is all 1's and 0's.

Some people would argue with me here but I've seen a test somewhere on the web where a guy substituted a coat hanger for the coax link and got zero errors on the decoder. I'll have to see if I can find the URL somewhere.

If you go with the decoder on the player, then you will need 6 decent quality cables connecting the two units. Rabid Cable Nazis will insist you get the $50/meter variety ($50 x 6 = $300). Just for the record, I am not a RCN but you would need some decent cables.

2. A decoderless player will be cheaper than it's decodered brandmate. Since a DVD player has moving parts and a receiver doesn't, usually, the player will break before the receiver. I would rather have my cheaper component break first. By the time that player breaks, maybe HDVD or something better will be out anyway. Then, you can keep your receiver to use with the new player (unless you buy into the DD-EX/DTS-ES upgrade scheme).

------------------
Hoooogan!
Old 03-28-00, 05:36 PM
Registered

Moving thread into Home Theater Hardware Forum Area.

Geoff