Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Future-proofing new home theater

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Future-proofing new home theater

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Future-proofing new home theater

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
OK, I went for that excellent Costco deal: Mitsubishi HC5500, 106" screen, mounting bracket, replacement bulb for $1899 after $300 rebate. Sounds perfect for my room.

Brian, now I'm curious about your Panamax 5400. Did you do all that installation yourself, or did you have your electrician install that?
I used the same electrician that wired my house to do it. I bought the kit and they bought the ROMAX cable to connect the parts and made the wall cutouts for them. I think you can tell that I am NOT a DIY'er (no knock, more power to them). If it involves cutting, electricity, or anything else that requires more than my set of tools, I'll pay for it.

BTW, congrats - you will enjoy your new setup! The most impressive effect will be the additional depth you'll get from HD programming.
Old 01-29-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks man! It's definitely exciting, and not something I initially planned. But it will be easier to build around a projector I already have rather than plan for something I buy later. Thanks for the advice, everyone, on that point.

Did you do a lot of research before buying the Panamax? I like the setup, which protects the projector at the ceiling as well as all the rest of the components on the other side of the room. Did you find a good price for it? I know it's essential equipment, but it is hard to swallow the price.
Old 01-29-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks man! It's definitely exciting, and not something I initially planned. But it will be easier to build around a projector I already have rather than plan for something I buy later. Thanks for the advice, everyone, on that point.

Did you do a lot of research before buying the Panamax? I like the setup, which protects the projector at the ceiling as well as all the rest of the components on the other side of the room. Did you find a good price for it? I know it's essential equipment, but it is hard to swallow the price.
On the latter, honestly, I had a bonus payout last March that let me buy all this stuff. I paid $599 for the Panamax, and $299 for the kit - definitely not cheap, but I'd rather pay for that than have to replace the equipment. It's not only protection - the 5400 actually is a power "generator" in the sense that it cleans up and redistributes power accordingly.
Old 01-29-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

You can look at my sig for my theater but a couple of notes:

I was able to make due with a DLP PJ with no lens shift. I had to measure carefully and compare throw angles/distance and went with the HD70. I love it (just put a new bulb in).

I built my own riser but wish I built it a little highter. I added a flat 2X10 when I installed the theater chairs and that helped, but yet another 1.5-2.0 inches would have been even better.

Yes electrical in the riser is nice. What I did was put in cut outs in the riser where the plugs on the wall are. That gave me access to the plugs.

I built my own screen now (94") screen. It went about $125, and works well. If you have the patience, go look in the AVS DIY screen thread will give you great ideas.

I installed a wireless light switch/dimmer which works awesome. I also recommend a nice all in on remote with lots of macros (like the Harmony but there are others).

And if this is a basement where you will have a seperate room, I recommend getting a popcorn maker!
Old 01-30-09, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
And if this is a basement where you will have a seperate room, I recommend getting a popcorn maker!
I can't comment enough on how awesome popcorn machines are if you have room for them. I only have a 4oz kettle but it is probably my favorite home theater item.
Old 01-30-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I can't comment enough on how awesome popcorn machines are if you have room for them. I only have a 4oz kettle but it is probably my favorite home theater item.
I think I read from the OP that this was a basement, so no excuses! Even if you don't build a bar, you could build a small "lobby" area where you could keep a popcorn popper, frigerator for drinks, etc.

And yea, I "only" have a 4oz, GM Fun pop, but I love it! And 3-4 batches make a lot of popcorn.
Old 01-30-09, 10:51 AM

I think I read from the OP that this was a basement, so no excuses! Even if you don't build a bar, you could build a small "lobby" area where you could keep a popcorn popper, frigerator for drinks, etc.

You guys have convinced me to get a popcorn popper. The theater will have a bar area right next to it, and a small alcove that would be perfect for a popcorn stand. I'll be sure to put an electrical outlet there...
Old 01-30-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You guys have convinced me to get a popcorn popper. The theater will have a bar area right next to it, and a small alcove that would be perfect for a popcorn stand. I'll be sure to put an electrical outlet there...
One thing to be cognizant about is outlets and their placement. Move one piece of furniture and you could lose a vital connection.
Old 01-30-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And yea, I "only" have a 4oz, GM Fun pop, but I love it! And 3-4 batches make a lot of popcorn.

Yea, I shouldn't say "only". I have this one from Nostalgia Electrics that I got on sale at Sam's for around $150-$200 in 2007. I can't remember the actual price.

Most people online will tell you that you need an expensive Paragon popper or similiar but I couldn't be more content with this model. Maybe I'll upgrade when mine dies out but that will be a sad day indeed! My friends blame me for ruining theater popcorn for them. It tastes terrible and bland in comparison.
Old 01-30-09, 07:07 PM

My friends blame me for ruining theater popcorn for them. It tastes terrible and bland in comparison.
I assume you're using coconut oil, butter-flavored fine salt...? That's what I use in my Whirly Pop on the stovetop. Any other tips?
Old 01-30-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can go on about popcorn forever! I usually make popcorn at least once a week.

Popping Oil: I generally use coconut oil only once a month, and Crisco canola oil the rest of the time. I'm not a big fan of the big yellow coconut oil jars so I buy the small jars of Lou Ana's from Wal-mart. It has no color and is easy to scoop.

Salt: Everyone seems to love Flavorcal, but I find it too salty. I buy Rico's salt instead. This is the company that supplies Cinemark with everything except their corn. Ironically, I purchased salt and butter from them last year and received a lot more than I ordered. The next day they changed their checkout system so you had to order in bulk! Damn them!

Corn: The three big names are probably Orville's, Megapop, and Country Harvest. HT-Express sells a rather inexpensive sample pack of all three here. I have tried all of them and prefer to just get the 45oz jars of Orville's at the local super Walmart. I find that Walmart always sells through most of their stock quickly so you always get fresh corn with late expiration dates.

Butter: O boy! I can only say you have to try all the brands before you find the one you like the most. If you cook with coconut oil you may decide to not even use butter at all. Ricos butter is pretty good, more of an oily butter. My absolute favorite, so far, is Morgold Plus, which can be purchased at HT-Express as well. It is a creamy butter though it costs more.

As for cooking, trial and error is your best friend. It took me a few months to figure out what worked best with my machine and what I liked the best. I have a 4oz kettle but discovered that using 6oz of corn and extra popping oil yielded much better popping results.
Old 01-30-09, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can go on about popcorn forever! I usually make popcorn at least once a week.

Popping Oil: I generally use coconut oil only once a month, and Crisco canola oil the rest of the time. I'm not a big fan of the big yellow coconut oil jars so I buy the small jars of Lou Ana's from Wal-mart. It has no color and is easy to scoop.

Salt: Everyone seems to love Flavorcal, but I find it too salty. I buy Rico's salt instead. This is the company that supplies Cinemark with everything except their corn. Ironically, I purchased salt and butter from them last year and received a lot more than I ordered. The next day they changed their checkout system so you had to order in bulk! Damn them!

Corn: The three big names are probably Orville's, Megapop, and Country Harvest. HT-Express sells a rather inexpensive sample pack of all three here. I have tried all of them and prefer to just get the 45oz jars of Orville's at the local super Walmart. I find that Walmart always sells through most of their stock quickly so you always get fresh corn with late expiration dates.

Butter: O boy! I can only say you have to try all the brands before you find the one you like the most. If you cook with coconut oil you may decide to not even use butter at all. Ricos butter is pretty good, more of an oily butter. My absolute favorite, so far, is Morgold Plus, which can be purchased at HT-Express as well. It is a creamy butter though it costs more.

As for cooking, trial and error is your best friend. It took me a few months to figure out what worked best with my machine and what I liked the best. I have a 4oz kettle but discovered that using 6oz of corn and extra popping oil yielded much better popping results.
I agree with most of this,

I personally only use coconut oil and the majority of time I use "pre-portioned packs". It is just easier if the wife/kids want to make popcorn.

Also, I just refuse to pay the shipping HT Express charges. I found a local restaurant supply company that is open to the public and sells the portion packs. I buy a case at a time so as to stay fresh.

My GM has a slightly larger 4oz kettle. So I use a 4oz portion pack as my first batch, then make 6oz kits after. Also, I agree have also used all three brands. What I do it mix, making a portion pack of each and then mixing up after I dump.

Finally, if at all possible, I don't eat/serve the popcorn for a good 30-45 minutes. This help the popcorn dry up. I like mine on the crispy side!
Old 01-31-09, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with most of this,

I personally only use coconut oil and the majority of time I use "pre-portioned packs". It is just easier if the wife/kids want to make popcorn.

Also, I just refuse to pay the shipping HT Express charges. I found a local restaurant supply company that is open to the public and sells the portion packs. I buy a case at a time so as to stay fresh.

My GM has a slightly larger 4oz kettle. So I use a 4oz portion pack as my first batch, then make 6oz kits after. Also, I agree have also used all three brands. What I do it mix, making a portion pack of each and then mixing up after I dump.

Finally, if at all possible, I don't eat/serve the popcorn for a good 30-45 minutes. This help the popcorn dry up. I like mine on the crispy side!
I forgot to mention it but I also let the corn air out for 25-30 minutes. It's just a little too soft when it finishes cooking.

HT-Express shipping does suck unless you order a lot of stuff at once.
Old 02-07-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FunkDaddyJ... what's your status?
Old 02-08-09, 02:10 PM

Hey! Actually, an interesting story. I ordered the Mitsubishi projector in a package that came with a free Mustang 106" screen and a ceiling mount. Thursday, the screen and mount arrived, and I was all jazzed until I noticed that the box said it was a 92" screen. Friday, I called Costco, and they said they were very sorry, but their vendor screwed up 50 orders (!) and sent the wrong screen by mistake. They would be sending the right one immediately, and because of the cost associated with shipping that massive box, they said I could keep the 92" screen.

Anyway, framing begins this week on the entire basement, and we'll be building a modest "stage" area at the front of the theater, as well as building in a component rack.

It's nice to have the actual projector and screen onhand to test distances and such.
Old 02-08-09, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey! Actually, an interesting story. I ordered the Mitsubishi projector in a package that came with a free Mustang 106" screen and a ceiling mount. Thursday, the screen and mount arrived, and I was all jazzed until I noticed that the box said it was a 92" screen. Friday, I called Costco, and they said they were very sorry, but their vendor screwed up 50 orders (!) and sent the wrong screen by mistake. They would be sending the right one immediately, and because of the cost associated with shipping that massive box, they said I could keep the 92" screen.

Anyway, framing begins this week on the entire basement, and we'll be building a modest "stage" area at the front of the theater, as well as building in a component rack.

It's nice to have the actual projector and screen onhand to test distances and such.
Pictures when you get a chance! So now you have TWO screens! Got any other place to put the other one, or will you Craig's List it?
Old 02-21-09, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
Pictures when you get a chance! So now you have TWO screens! Got any other place to put the other one, or will you Craig's List it?
The 92" is a big ugly pull-down type that I'll definitely be getting rid of. So, Craigslist, here I come! Framing has finally begun on the actual home theater area, so I'll get pics up here as soon as I can figure out how to do that.
Old 02-21-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice - keep on posting!
Old 03-21-09, 09:30 PM

Quick question: I'm wiring the ceiling now for the projector, and although I've included a conduit for future technologies, I want to be sure I put the right wiring in place now. I have a receiver that accepts four HDMI (and also a couple component) in and delivers the HDMI signal to the projector. Is there any reason to run anything except HDMI to the projector? I'm assuming even if I have some kind of device that outputs only component, the receiver can still take that signal to the projector via HDMI?
Old 03-23-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there any reason to run anything except HDMI to the projector? I'm assuming even if I have some kind of device that outputs only component, the receiver can still take that signal to the projector via HDMI?
You might also want to run composite video. I am unable to convert composite through HDMI so I had to run the video cable.
Old 03-23-09, 08:28 PM

Sounds good. Thanks! Brian, did you run anything to the projector besides HDMI?
Old 03-23-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd run a component cable if you are going to run something. Can be used for almost anything later. Component, composite, Svideo, audio. If you run a 5-wire component it can be used for VGA. Terminate it in the ceiling and all you will see is RCA connectors in a wall plate.
Old 07-01-09, 11:39 AM

Here are some pics of the finished theater, for those of you interested! Thanks for all the advice!

Facebook Album of Finished Theater

Last edited by Jason Bovberg; 07-01-09 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-01-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here are some pics of the finished theater, for those of you interested! Thanks for all the advice!

Facebook Album of Finished Theater
Hey, long time no hear! I'll take a look at the pics in a bit. So, have you gotten the bang for your buck that you thought you would? I never get over how much better stuff looks in my media room.

I took a look - do my next room for me!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 07-01-09 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-01-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BTW, as far as the wall and ceiling extrusions - were they built in or over? For example, did you have to build out the walls and then cut out dry wall for the media, or were they already built-in?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.