DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

How are DLP TV's?

Old 01-19-09, 04:29 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How are DLP TV's?

I know they are more or less being phased out, but how are DLP TV's nowadays?

I've always had good luck with plasmas - have purchased 3 for myself and family over the last few years. In fact, other than my tube HDTV, Panasonic plasmas are all myself and my family have. They've been great, no burn-in problems, no complaints.

But I'm moving into a new house with a bigger living room, and I don't want a front projector in there (that will be in the dedicated theater room coming in the near future...), so I've been looking at 50" plasmas. I can get the Panasonic 50PZ80U for about $1480 plus tax (or $1365 online from 6th Ave.), which is actually not too bad, compared to where 50" 1080p plasma prices were only 6 months ago...then for some reason I started looking at DLP sets.

I know the main reason I always shied away from DLP before was bulb replacement. Basically I didn't want my family (or myself) to have to mess with replacing a bulb on their main TV.

Are the newest DLP sets still relying on regular old bulbs? Or has the LED technology now replaced them?

A quick perusal of Best Buy's site found this - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202649424894 - what's the verdict on sets like this? A local store has it for about $1500.

Just wondered what people thought of DLP's. I know they aren't as sexy as plasma or LCD sets, but on a cost per sq. in. basis, they still are a pretty good deal. I know a few of you still have one.

Are they worth the consideration?

Thanks a lot.
Old 01-19-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: How are DLP TV's?

I bought a Phillips 1080i 52inch DLP about a year 1/2 ago. I have my Ps3 hooked up to it using HDMI and I think the picture is great. I spent about $1500.00 for it new. For the money and size I think it's good for a budget/intro type HDTV.

I will say that at first I noticed the "rainbow" effect, but after awhile I don't notice it at all. Just takes time for your eyes to adjust to it.

That being said, once a bulb burns out I might just go and get an LCD vs. Bulb replacement.

Last edited by DarthVong; 01-19-09 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As luck would have it, I had that very TV delivered this morning. It is an upgrade from my 50" Samsung DLP. I have only had it a few hours, but so far am very happy. The biggest negatives about DLPs are the form factor and some say the viewing angles. Obviously I was happy enough with my 50", which was bulb based and I have had for nearly 5 years to stick with DLP. I wanted something bigger and also 1080p. Some people see rainbows, although I have heard that is less common with the LED sets. I was planning to wait until later in the year, but since it appears Samsung is getting out of the DLP business I jumped now. For bang for the buck, DLPs can't be beat. The new LEDs also use much less power. Sadly, seeing one in a store will likely drive you away as it seems if you can find them they are poorly set up and in out of the way spots.

If you are willing to order on-line, check out Crutchfield as they have a much better price than BB. I ordered mine on a Sunday and it was in town in 4 days. They have an excellent reputation.
Old 01-19-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I have been really happy with my 46" Samsung 1080i DLP, and friends that have LCD TVs have come over and said that they were really surprised how well my picture compared to theirs.

I have had mine almost 3 years now and haven't had to replace the bulb. My parents, on the other hand, got their TV less than a year before I did and had to replace the bulb after about 18-24 months. But their service plan covered bulb replacements. If you are worried about the bulb, I would recommend buying the extended service plan and make sure that it covers bulb replacement.
Old 01-19-09, 06:20 PM

Bulbs are not an issue with the LED based DLPs as the LEDs are rated with 60,000 hours of lamp life.
Old 01-19-09, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my Mits. for just over a year. I have not had any rainbow issues, and my wife has not mentioned anything (but I have not told her about potential problems so she doesn't look for it).

I have already had the light engine replaced once due to a loud fan. Also, the way it is designed the dirty air is pulled through the lamp cooling, and there are issues with "block airflow" which requires taking the back off and cleaning about 3 fans off.

When i had problems with my Sony CRT RPTV, the repair guy recommended Mits. I have not been happy with this one, and an contemplating replacing it with my tax money.

The problem is in the 57" range, there are few choices, and I don't want smaller.
Old 01-19-09, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i've had my 60" Mitsubishi WD-60735 for about 5 mos. now and haven't experienced any rainbow effect issues either. Granted, when i use it connected to my laptop via HDMI text seems to flicker a bit, but it is doable. As for normal viewing (TV/DVD/BD) and game playing (PS3) it's great! Finding a stand/cabinet for it was a little problematic - i didn't want one of those open-air, glass shelf types and there weren't many that would accommodate a 60" set - but i was able to find one that fit my needs at CostCo.

my one gripe - and it's probably a software issue - is that channels which are manually deleted using setup reappear when the TV is restarted. i would've addressed it sooner, but i'll probably wait until after the Pro Bowl, just in case (it has to be taken in for service). If anyone has any ideas, my TV's software is V39 010.00.

Last edited by RaMMaR; 01-21-09 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 01-20-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I LOVE my 56 inch Samsung 1080p DLP. It's about a year old and IMO still looks better than most of the LCD & plasmas out today.
Old 01-20-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I have a Mitsubishi DLP that I purchased about 3 or 4 years ago and have never had to replace the bulb yet (knock on wood). Overall I am satisfied with it, but as luck would have it mine had the bright spot issue that many of the Mitsubishi's had but it wasn't enough of an issue for me to bother with exchanging it. I did see rainbows at first but I don't see them at all anymore.
And to the OP, it doesn't sound like you are hurting for cash, why don't you just stick with Plasma's since you like them so much?
Old 01-20-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SlaughterX
I have a 65" Mitsubishi and I am happy with it despite the viewing angles and noise from the bulb, but the Samsung LED engine DLPs have pretty much solved those problems (though there are still angle problems, I think it's a bit wider with the LED engine TVs). On top of that they look great, and you can't be the price for the size. I'm sure you'd be very happy with that Samsung LED engine. Now if only the LaserVue DLPs were affordable...
There will always be angle issues with RPTVs. This is related to the box design, not the particular display technology. Today's are far superior to earlier models.
Old 01-20-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maxflier,
Lamp life is defined by hours watched, not by years owned. No doubt there is a place to see a display of how may hours the TV has been used. Compare that to the predicted life of your lamp to see how close you are to replacement time. When you are close, plan the purchase ahead of time.
Old 01-20-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bigger is better as far as I'm concerned... 73" Mitsubishi Diamond. Biggest TV I could find. Unfornately, projectors won't work well in my open floorplan home.
Old 01-20-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

I have a Mits. 57" that I've had about a year with no problems. Wish I could have gotten a plasma instead, but it was a great deal for $1500. Picture quality is excellent.
Old 01-20-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Gojhawks
If you are willing to order on-line, check out Crutchfield as they have a much better price than BB. I ordered mine on a Sunday and it was in town in 4 days. They have an excellent reputation.
Ditto, I was just going to post this in a new thread, but saw this, so I'll post here.

I just ordered the same set http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YihAnWX...?omnews=454947 from Crutchfield last Wednesday for $1299.99 shipped. Also ordered a stand and got 10% off that. TV comes with $200 off a purchase @ nflshop.com (this is a Samsung promo, so you'll also get it at Best Buy, etc.)
The TV is on backorder but I just got a shipping confirmation, although I can't yet determine if it's both items or just the stand since that was in stock.

Also, you can get an additional $20 off by using a referral code, I can provide mine if it's not against forum rules and someone wants to use it.

I don't think I'll be disappointed with this set. I've been lurking for this set(or something very similar) for over 2 years, and I don't think I've ever seen any bad reviews of anything in this realm of technology made by Samsung.
Old 01-20-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts

I'm a DLP fan. My front projector is a DLP and I prefer the picture on it over my LCD I have in the living room. And if you want to go big 58" or bigger, they are the best value.
Old 01-21-09, 04:56 PM
Suspended

Thanks for the replies, guys. I ended up just going with a Panasonic plasma again - 50PZ85U. Who knows if I'll be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at that size and the distance I'll be from it, but I got a good deal on it, so it was worth a shot I guess.

In the end, I just figured I might as well stick with what I know I like, instead of taking a chance on a monstrosity like a 61" DLP (and the accompanying huge stand).
Old 01-23-09, 12:52 AM

I have a Mitsu WD65833 and love it. Picture is top notch and the black finish matches my HT setup.
Old 01-27-09, 08:16 AM

I have Mit's 57" 734 and we like it every tv has pro's and con's but you can get great deals on DLP's. Here is a picture of ours: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26517849@N04/2487898532/
Old 01-27-09, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a Sammy 61" DLP in my HT & A Sammy 46" in my living room and love them both! But you can't go wrong with the plasma either!
Old 01-27-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I think I've finally settled on the Samsung 67A750 for my next TV. Having owned a 50" plasma TV for almost 2 years, I think I'm ready to lower my picture quality requirements (viewing angles, silkscreen effect) for a much larger screen size (80% more over a 50" size), and the ability to abuse the LED DLP sets (meaning, I wouldn't fret about leaving it on all night on a channel with tickers or screen bugs, or videogaming, or viewing 4:3 material on it). Now I'm just waiting for the after Super Bowl mark-downs on TVs and hope to nab one for $1500 or less (currently they are about $1700-$1800 delivered).
Old 01-27-09, 12:11 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Now I'm just waiting for the after Super Bowl mark-downs on TVs and hope to nab one for $1500 or less (currently they are about $1700-$1800 delivered).
almost there!
currently on amazon it's showing $1679 shipped and, with goldbox trick, down to $1596. i gotta see if i can talk amazon into refunding me the difference from last week's price.
Old 01-27-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought the 73" Diamond Series Mits DLP last April. I love it. I don't have any problems with viewing angles or rainbows. My complaints are minor: it takes a bit longer than other TV's to turn on and off; and non-HD source material looks crummy at that size (but that's why I mainly use this TV to watch Blu-rays, which look awesome).
Old 01-27-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Even though this thread is pretty much done (OP got their TV) I have to agree with the others, DLP is a very solid choice for the price. They aren't as bright as modern LCD/Plasma flat panels but they do a more than admirable job. They lack the "cool" factor of having something flat, though (oh noz).

I also greatly prefer DLP Projectors over LCD Projectors, the color is amazing.
Old 01-27-09, 02:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichC2
Even though this thread is pretty much done (OP got their TV) I have to agree with the others, DLP is a very solid choice for the price. They aren't as bright as modern LCD/Plasma flat panels but they do a more than admirable job. They lack the "cool" factor of having something flat, though (oh noz).

I also greatly prefer DLP Projectors over LCD Projectors, the color is amazing.
Yeah, the only real reason I went with plasma again was familiarity. I don't really care how it looks in the room, so don't care that it may looker cooler. But I'm also getting a front projector one of these days, so for a huge screen, I'll be set...I'll definitely look at DLP at that time.

And if this Panny plasma for some reason is a piece of shit, I'll definitely look at DLP to swap it out.