Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which Anamorphic DVD should I watch first on my new Pioneer SD-582-HD5?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Which Anamorphic DVD should I watch first on my new Pioneer SD-582-HD5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-00, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please check my DVD list link below and let me know which of the Anamorphic DVD's should I watch first (that will be the most impressive)when I get my Pioneer SD-582-HD5 on Monday.
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~frankslove.asp

Thanks Guys!

Old 03-18-00, 03:26 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your Bug's Life is the Collector's edition you might try that one.

Fifth Element is also a good choice.

------------------
-David
Other forum
Old 03-18-00, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unfortunetly I don't have the Bug's Life Collector's edition and The Fifth Element is not Anamorphic.
Old 03-18-00, 07:17 PM
Uber Member

The Fifth Element is anamorphic.

Just about everything Columbia Tri Star does is anamorphic, I think they just don't always indicate it on the packaging.

DVDFile db

DVDExpress.com's listing

Amazon's listing

C'mon. Do you really think I'd steer you wrong?

The Fifth Element is regularly listed as a reference quality disc for both video and sound because of the vibrant colors, the action sequences and the Diva scene.

------------------
-David
Other forum
Old 03-19-00, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I'm glad I'm wrong about the Fifth Element because that was the first DVD that came to mind. You are right that the DVD has nothing about being Anamorphic and I was pissed. Well I'll have to let you know what I think of the DVD when I get the HDTV Monday.
Old 03-19-00, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those interested here's a link to a listing of all currently released DVD's that are Anamorphic. Boy there are a lot of DVD's that I have that have no indications they are Anamorphic (19 to be exact) but this link has shown I have a lot more then I thought. Columbia Tristar seems to have a problem with indicating a DVD is Anamorphic. But still nice to know I have 19 more DVD's that are Anamorphic. Now I have all the more Anamorphic DVD's to watch when I get my 16x9 Monday.

http://www.laserviews.com/16x9.html

[This message has been edited by Frank S (edited March 19, 2000).]
Old 03-19-00, 05:17 AM
Uber Member

This won't be an issue for you any more, but if you're not sure, you can always set the DVD's output mode to 16:9 anamorphic.

If the picture looks different (taller and skinnier) then the disc is anamorphic. If it looks the same, then it's not anamorphic.

What's odd, is that some companies (Fox I think) will put anamorphic menus on their non anamorphic titles (saw this on Raising Arizona).

Enjoy the TV!

------------------
-David
Other forum
Old 03-20-00, 12:43 PM

Frank S:

Is this the Pioneer that Sam's Club is selling that you have brought up for discussion earlier?
Old 03-22-00, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NO WAY! I don't want to get into any kind of a uncertain situation with a $4000 TV!

I bought it through a local dealer whom I have made arrangements to purchase products from and resell Big/Wide Screen TV's through my company as a part of a added line of HT products to go along with the main business of computers. I have some carpender friends who will take people's unfinished basements and create HT's and I will supply the HT equipment. For example I would be selling the Pioneer SD-582-HD5 (only in the Chicago area) for around $3800. Considering the saving on shipping it is a very good deal for those living in the Chicago area.

The TV is GREAT but it sure does magnify any anomalies in the source material. I played one of the Star Wars THX Laserdiscs I had and they didn't look to good. They looked great on my 32" Toshiba I used before but boy not on the Pioneer. The only drawback to a highend TV I guess. But let me tell you when I watch something like the Fifth Element it is absolutly INCREDIBLE! I still believe that with the current models Pioneers has in the 53" & 58" HDTV line that have have eclipsed Mitsubishi in video quality, just barely but noticable. And I now know why so many piss and moan about studios releasing non-Anamorphic DVD's. There is a very noticable difference in the video quality between the Anamorphic and non-anamorphic with a 16x9 TV.

[This message has been edited by Frank S (edited March 22, 2000).]