Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Anamorphic???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-00, 05:09 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone please post a like explaining exactly what anamorphic is/means...I couldn't find anything using search...

(Newbies....ain't we great?) Don't laugh...Ok fine....you can laugh, I probably would too...
Old 03-18-00, 07:21 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a short description of anamorphic downconversion I've posted before.

The link will explain what anamorphic is and what it means to you the end user.

Hope this helps.

Anamorphic/Enhanced for Widescreen/Enhanced for 16:9 downconversion: Unless you already have or will also purchase a 16:9 TV set your player will have to down convert the enhanced DVDs for your 4:3 (or standard) TV. If you don't already know about how this works click on this link for an explanation. Some players (Toshiba) downconvert by removing every forth line from the image. This can result in a shimmery look to scenes with moving horizontal lines (like stairs, car grilles). Other players (like Sonys) provide an averageing of the lines to create a "better" downconverted image. Some say this makes the image softer, however, beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. A good test of this is the Ronin DVD. Check the opening scene when DeNiro is walking down the steps. You can see the shimmer on the buildings the camera pans across and on the stairs he's walking down. This won't be noticeable on a PC monitor because it is noninterlaced (which essentially means it is a 16:9 enhanced display).

------------------
-David
Other forum

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited March 18, 2000).]
Old 03-18-00, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Try this link. It's a very good explanation, although it is long.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...hic/index.html

Hey BLADE,
I can't beleive you got here before me. I though mine was going to be the first response. Oh well, at least I posted a different link.

By the way I thought Moderators were supposed to moderate and not post replies.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited March 18, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited March 18, 2000).]
Old 03-19-00, 05:11 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a rebel!

Funny thing is, I was going to post the link you did, but was too lazy to go track it down.

------------------
-David
Other forum
Old 03-21-00, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...Crea..

Anamorphic questions are a rare find these days although I don't look for them.

You should just purchase an anamorphic dvd (almost all of mine are anamorphic) and experiment with your player. Anamorphic gives you one more video option that non-anamorphic dvds lack, the vertically stretched image with no downconversion artifacts on a regular 4x3 tv. Also, many run of the mill tvs can be vertically compressed, you will need a svc manual*, some paper and a pencil so you can write down all of the changes you may make. Some of these guys can reset for dvd in about twenty seconds with the remote and they like what they see.

But you cannot do any of that with a non-anamorphic dvd because they have less picture information in the first place.

Also, full frame dvds do not have any room for the anamorphic stretch and all of this is about widescreen material.

Good luck.

*Some libraries also have the reference material, a local tech advised me that the information I needed could be photocopied at the Roseville MN library, actually a very complete library. I got the name "Howard W Sams", they publish the info and I am sure I can get what I need there. It isn't necessary to buy the entire nanual.