Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How do I get OTA channels on my HDTV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

How do I get OTA channels on my HDTV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-09, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your help.

One other note is that I do receive some analog stations. For example, NBC comes in well enough to see the picture, but with some static. Based on the listing I get at antennaweb, it looks like this is supposed to be converted to a digital signal February 17th. Do you think I would be able to receive this digital station after the changeover with my current setup?
Old 01-03-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tough call. Digital tends to be a little easier, so you might.
Old 01-03-09, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Really it is good you are asking and doing research....but I really believe this is one of those things you just have to try and see if it works.

Per antennaweb, I shouldn't have been able to get any HD channels. But I got them all no problem. And not with that expensive of an antenna.
Old 01-04-09, 12:30 AM

Keep in mind, "rabbit ears" do not allow quality HD reception. The "loop" is what allows the HD signal to be recieved. You may as well collapse those gigantic rods because they are doing you no good.
Almost every digital tuner whether it is built into the TV or it is a set top box will have a signal strength meter in the menu. It's usually in the set-up portion of the menu or the part of the menu where the channel scan is available (ex. some Sony models). When you have the signal strength meter shown on the TV you can move the antenna around the room to find the optimal location for the best signal strength.

Check out this link if you need assistance in hooking up a digital set top box or if you just need a good laugh.
http://entertainment.msn.com/video/p..._dlRWM_QVHBwKU
Old 01-04-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jones
Keep in mind, "rabbit ears" do not allow quality HD reception. The "loop" is what allows the HD signal to be recieved.[/url]
I assume you mean the UHF signal. You'd be surprised how often rabbit ears actually work, for those close enough to the transmission towers. And of course, the high VHF digital channels should work with rabbit ears. But yes, an actual UHF antenna is the best choice.
Old 01-04-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
I assume you mean the UHF signal. You'd be surprised how often rabbit ears actually work, for those close enough to the transmission towers. And of course, the high VHF digital channels should work with rabbit ears. But yes, an actual UHF antenna is the best choice.
Yup, agree AGAIN with Spiky (is that the millionth time?).

IMO there are some good, high quality antennas out there. However, what works, works.

I used two different antennas when I got OTA HD. One I got free when I bought a old Voom HD receiver off ebay. It was a stealth plane looking one that I believe Voom gave with their service so you could get local HD with their paid service. It worked perfect hanging in my attic from the ridge beam.

The 2nd one I used was a $25 small "square" looking antenna that was basically the size of book. I attached it with a small piece of plumbing pipe to my Dish antenna and it got all the locals no problem.

I had to use two antennas as the TV's were in different rooms and I just couldn't get them connected to the same place. I used these despite Antennaweb saying I need a massive antenna very high and then I wouldn't get all channels. I think my neighborhood is in a slight low level area (but I know I'm not in a flood area). Or Antenna web was just plain wrong.

I used these till I got HD dish in my media room. Then a storm knocked out the exterior one and I think I'm just going to pick up another HD receiver for the bar.
Old 01-04-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by LoomisP
I tried the antenna I have at a friends house nearby and it works fine. So I think the problem is that the neighboring townhouse is in the way of the signals. Does that make sense?
So the question is, do I have to mount an antenna outside or will I be able to use an antenna indoors if I get the right one?
I always thought an antenna had to be vertical and high to get the best reception, but the flat horizontal antenna I described in my earlier post has worked better than all the vertical indoor antennas I've tried. The illustration on the box shows the various signals falling out of the sky and landing on the antenna like it's a plate. If this illustration accurately depicts how signals are captured by antennas, then it makes sense that it would receive more signals than skinny vertical rabbit ears. Anyway, I'm happy with it.
Old 01-05-09, 12:12 AM

I was able to get FOX and UPN by moving the antenna to the ceiling. Bringing it into the attic didn't help. The neighboring townhouse in the direction of the broadcasts is slightly uphill from mine, so even in the attic, I'm not getting over that house.

I took the antenna out the back onto the deck and I can get ABC, NBC, and CBS (and still FOX, UPN, PBS). So in my case, getting around the obstacle is more important than height. Now I just have to look into mounting the thing outside and running a cable in to the house.

Any comments on running cable? The antenna is actually right near where the coax comes in from the cable company and I wonder about jumping in on one of those lines.
Old 01-05-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are ways to do that on one line, but I usually find it better (and cheaper) to run new wire. I can't even remember how many I have going through one hole in my house. Six? I dig out the hole a bit, they usually use some form of silicon sealant that can be poked apart with a screwdriver. Widen the hole if necessary and then run another wire. Seal it back up.

This would be a lot tougher if you are talking about brick. But there won't be any complaints from the association or whatever if you don't make changes obvious, like drilling extra holes.
Old 01-05-09, 12:09 PM

Re: How do I get OTA channels on my HDTV?

I'm probably in the wrong forum for this and have completely hijacked this thread, but I feel I should take advantage while I have your ear.

I can put a new cable through the existing hole, that seems like no problem. What seems difficult is getting it to come out to the wall where I want. I looked at some how tos online and it seems to involve drilling a lot in the drywall, fishing the wires through, perhaps removing the baseboards and then the wall repair when it's all done.

I mentioned before jumping in on one of the existing coax lines. This would be nice, especially if one line can share the antenna signal and the internet signal from the cable company (though I can see this not working).

The other possibility I thought of is to use the existing coax line as a guide for running a duplicate line, so that I can avoid having to drill through the wall to fish the line through. Any thoughts on the possibility of attaching the end of the new coax line to the old coax line so that it follows it as it's pushed into the house?
Old 01-05-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's definitely the way to do it, pulling with an existing wire. Attach two new wires (or maybe a double coax) with electrical tape (for the smooth vinyl to slide easier) and pull through. It's not always that easy, though.
Old 01-05-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's definitely the way to do it, pulling with an existing wire. Attach two new wires (or maybe a double coax) with electrical tape (for the smooth vinyl to slide easier) and pull through. It's not always that easy, though.