DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HELP! My Onkyo 606 keeps shorting out!

Old 12-27-08, 08:12 PM
Cool New Member

HELP! My Onkyo 606 keeps shorting out!

I just hooked my new Onkyo 606 to my 5.1 speakers (polk audio speakers and klipsch sub). I previously had a Denon 1802 hooked up to these same speakers and never had a single problem with the receiver through out the 6 and a half years that I owned my Denon and speakers.

Now EVERYTIME I play a blu-ray in my PS3 my Onkyo shorts out (it shuts off and I get a blinking red light) . This happens when I don't even have the volume turned up very high (e.g. on Pirates of the Carribbean I had the volume set to 39).

I am SO distraught and after only having the receiver hooked up for a few hours, I am contemplating whether I should return this receiver and if so, how I should do this (I purchased it from a third party seller on Amazon). Any suggestions for how I can rectify this problem? I had heard that Denon produces a better product, but I had also heard good things about the 606 before I purchased this.
Old 12-27-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unplug all the speakers and carefully connect them again. You likely have shorted some of the wires.
Old 12-27-08, 08:38 PM
Cool New Member

Spiky, why do you think it is that this only happens when I play blu-rays in my PS3 and not when I watch cable TV? I can turn it as loud as I want when I watch TV and it doesn't shut off.
Old 12-27-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, I didn't get that some sources are ok. Hmm, try another input, maybe even a different wire type from the PS3 if you have the capability. I don't mean as a permanent solution, but to test it out, see if you can figure out where the problem is. Also, how is the cable audio hooked up?

But that does sound like a serious problem with your unit. Amazon's stores usually have good policies. And if it's a lemon, you should be able to exchange.
Old 12-27-08, 09:34 PM
Cool New Member

It finally did happen to the cable too, so you were right it was probably the wiring.

I followed your suggestion. Some of my speaker wire was protruding (sticking out) beyond the terminal where it was inserted. I reinserted the speaker wire and made sure that this time it is not sticking out. Since then I have not had this problem.

I've had the Matrix playing for the past 20 minutes and haven't had this problem yet. I'm really hoping that this problem won't return. Thanks for your help man!!! I'll let you know if the problem reoccurs.
Old 12-27-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool. Glad you got it sorted. Only takes one strand of speaker wire to short it out. Although if it is barely touching or just a strand or 2, it may take more volume or more active channels to trip the protection circuit. Probably why the Bluray did it easier, I'm guessing it started right up with every channel putting out more volume than normal TV.
Old 12-27-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 606 speaker terminals are spaced a bit tight. I decided to use banana plugs to avoid this type of issue on mine. Just something to think about.
Old 12-28-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

*whew* Had me worried, since I'm about to buy the 606.
Old 12-28-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
I have the 606 and use bananas. No problems.
Old 12-29-08, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by abrg923 View Post
*whew* Had me worried, since I'm about to buy the 606.
Don't be. I have the 606 and it's been splendid.
Old 12-29-08, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
Hmm, try another input,

This is why I banana-jacked the ends of all my speaker wires to my 606. Stray wire strands are too much trouble.
Old 12-30-08, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
This is why I banana-jacked the ends of all my speaker wires to my 606. Stray wire strands are too much trouble.
Mega dittos.
Old 12-30-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I once had this problem. After about a month of dealing with it, I decided to take a look behind my speakers. Turns out a metal toy had fallen behind one of them and straddled itself perfectly across the two speaker wires, each of which had a bit of wire exposed. "It was a one in a million shot, doc!"