Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-16, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

Probably DVDs with more branching are louder as the mechanism needs to move back and forth more, change spin speeds more. But things like imbalanced stickers could also cause more noise. Or damaged discs as it reads more times.

LOL! Just realized I said something similar 7 years ago.
Old 01-26-18, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sldvd
I just got the Ultimate X-Phile Edition of the X-Files: I Want to Believe.

When I put the Special Features disc into my DVD player, I heard a low humming/vibrating noise. At first I thought maybe my neighbor was outside using their air compressor. But no, the noise was coming from my DVD player. I pressed play, and the noise continued during the FBI warning, but then stopped when it showed the 20th Century FOX Home Entertainment screen. Then the noise returned when it got to the main menu, and the noise kept going when I played one of the features. The noise was still there after I stopped the DVD, and the noise finally stopped when I hit the Eject button. I put another disc in, and there was no noise. I put the Special Features disc back in, and I heard the noise again.

There must be something wrong with that disc. Perhaps the disc is somehow unbalanced? I have never heard that noise before. Wonder if the disc might damage the DVD player if I play it too long?
It's strange I came across this discussion as I am also trying to view a X-files dvd. Season 3 disc 15, episodes nesei, 731,revelations and war of the coprophages. I have only recently broken my virginity on the X-files I'm ashamed to say I was given a complete box set of the dvds and now I am hooked many many years too late. Maybe the noise is subliminal messages from a alien source? I think I should take a break from the X-files lol. I must say it is a absolutely excellent programme and I am absolutely hooked. I am puzzled as to why a few discs so far have been noisy (buzzing) in my player.
Old 01-27-18, 05:04 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

There's no rhyme or reason which discs hum in my Sony BDP-S570 blu-ray player. Currently watching season 2 of Game of Thrones, big box set from when it was first released, 3 of 4 discs (so far) hum pretty loudly. Some blu-ray discs hum as well. Most discs are fine. I have no idea what the deal is...
Old 01-27-18, 05:11 AM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Just watch out the humming doesn't start sending messages to your brain.