Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I have a Blueray question???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about buying a Blueray player, but my TV a 50" Panasonic Plasma is only 720P/1080i. Would i be able to take advantage of the blueray player? Or should I just buy a regular DVD player with HDMI output? DVD is 480p right? Will the blueray upconvert to 720P? Can I pass the upconverted 720P through the new reciever I am buying below?

I'm also buying a new Reciever, A Yamaha RX-V463. Should I use the HDMI switching through that or should I just run all video into my TV? I guess I'd have to, if I want the digital audio from my cable box and DVD player. I might have a digital 5.1 audio output port on the back of my TV... Does anyone know?

Mike
Old 12-19-08, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes a blu ray player will pass 720p to your tv.

I prefer to run video straight from the source to the display to avoid any signal degredation. Unless you need the receiver to perform switching for you, this is a better method of connection.
Old 12-19-08, 09:12 AM

Thanks, So how id the player?
Sony Blu-ray Disc Player - BDPS350

http://www.abt.com/product/35588.html

I guess the reason I want to pass the video through the reciever is to use the on screen capabilities of the reciever..

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 12-19-08 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-19-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
Thanks, So how id the player?
Sony Blu-ray Disc Player - BDPS350

http://www.abt.com/product/35588.html
There are many. many reviews on players on this site and on others.

I do not yet own a blu ray player as I am still waiting for better models at better prices.
Old 12-19-08, 09:56 AM

I can understand better prices, but what do you mean better models?
Old 12-19-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
I can understand better prices, but what do you mean better models?
Depending on what you need, there are other models that have additional features.

Personally I am waiting for the OPPO player

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/
Old 12-19-08, 10:22 AM

Do I really need 7.1? 7.1 add what? A center rear and ????

I don't think I'll ever need anything more then 5.1. I don't even use a center channel. So should I just get the 5.1 Yamaha 463 or upgrade to 7.1 in the 563?
Old 12-19-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SOme discs are remixed for 7.1. Their aren't many but they are out there. Movies are mixed to 5.1 in movie theaters, so you are getting what the director intended. I personally have a onkyo 606 receiver. I also enjoy the benefits of 7.1. It has 2 rear speakers, 2 surrounds, 2 fronts, a center,and a subwoofer. If you think you are not missing anything with 7.1 than don't worry about it. Chances are you probably won't notice.
Old 12-19-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Depending on what you need, there are other models that have additional features.

Personally I am waiting for the OPPO player

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/
The Oppo looks to be a great player, but it's going to be $500 to $600. That's according to an e-mail I got last week from Oppo.

The Sony BDP-S350 is a really good player, and can be made BD-Live compliant with a firmware update and the addition of a 1GB flash drive.

My personal preference, though, would be for the Panasonic DMP-BD35. I have the BD30 and it has been flawless for me.
Old 12-22-08, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The Oppo looks to be a great player, but it's going to be $500 to $600. That's according to an e-mail I got last week from Oppo.
If the specs and the performance warrant the price, then I will gladly pay it.

I have said that since day one and it has taken this long to get good stand alone players out.
Old 12-22-08, 09:36 AM

Andremike -

You need to see if your receiver will allow HD Audio over HDMI. I thought, and I could be wrong, that you needed to step up to the 663 in order to get HD Audio over HDMI.

If not, your receiver/BR player combo won't work effectively. Something has to decode the HD audio. If the 463 will not decode it, then the player has to and then needs to send it to the receiver over analog but that Sony model does not have analog outputs.

If the receiver does not accept HD Audio over HDMI, the internal decoding of the Sony measns nothing without the ability for the receiver to accept it somehow.

I know the 463 doesn't do the decoding.
Old 12-22-08, 09:41 AM

Upon further review, this receiver does accept HD Audio over HDMI. Make sure to set up your player properly. I assume you have to set it up as HDMI/PCM.

And 5 channels is plenty. I will never have a 7.1 set-up in my current house. And few disks are mastered in 7.1 anyway.

You put together a good budget combo.
Old 12-22-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
(snip) it has taken this long to get good stand alone players out.
I disagree. There have been good standalone players for a while now. I've had a Panasonic DMP-BD30 since early this year that has been flawless, and it gets deservedly high marks for picture quality and reliability. The newer DMP-BD35 has that and adds BD Live capability, and it's about half the price the BD30 was.

That said, I do look forward to reading reviews of the Oppo, even though I'm not looking to upgrade my Blu-ray player for a while. I have an Oppo DVD player, so I know how good the company is, and I plan on being a loyal customer.
Old 12-23-08, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I disagree. There have been good standalone players for a while now. I've had a Panasonic DMP-BD30 since early this year that has been flawless, and it gets deservedly high marks for picture quality and reliability. The newer DMP-BD35 has that and adds BD Live capability, and it's about half the price the BD30 was.

That said, I do look forward to reading reviews of the Oppo, even though I'm not looking to upgrade my Blu-ray player for a while. I have an Oppo DVD player, so I know how good the company is, and I plan on being a loyal customer.
I'm glad you are happy.

When I see things like this, I stay on the sidelines

[Important Note: Extensive testing by users revealed that, in its early firmware versions, the DMP-BD30 had incorrect LFE levels when using the HDMI output. PCM soundtracks, or any other audio format decoded to PCM within the player, suffered –5 dB LFE suppression over HDMI. This problem was corrected with Firmware Ver. 1.6, issued on February 25, 2008. Users relying on the HDMI connection for audio are strongly advised to apply the latest firmware update.]
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1184
Old 12-23-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I tend to agree with Brian. The latest round of players is the first to actually deliver all of BD's promised features. Hence, I jumped on the BD55.

And the Oppo will be the first with full compatibility for BD and older DVD & CD tech.