Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help/advice with HDMI cable

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 11:20 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. I have a panny plasma and a PS3. I currently have my PS3 and cable box each hooked up to my plasma via this HDMI cable from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-2M-...ref=pd_sim_e_2

As you can see this cable is extremely cheap, but I'm not sure if it's version 1.3.

I just bought an Onkyo 606 receiver so that I can get lossless audio and I have to buy a third HDMI cable. Do I need to buy a different HDMI cable (perhaps from monoprice?) to get lossless audio or would the above cable from amazon be sufficient?

Also, if I go with monoprice, which cable should I go with? I'm overwhelmed on that site (I don't even know where to begin). Thanks in advance for the help!!!
Old 12-12-08, 04:42 AM

I don't know if you necessarily NEED a newer cable, but if price is close to same it might be worth the investment. I just bought the 606 and a BD35 blu ray player. I bought all new HDMI cables through Monoprice and everything looks and sounds great.

As for which ones to get from Monoprice, unless you have a longer run, I would go really basic and pick up the 28AWG with the ferrite cores. It looks like a 3 ft length is less than $4 and shipping usually isn't bad.
Old 12-12-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Another vote for monoprice.
As for the cable, as far as I know, the 1.3 has to do with the output on the machine and input on the receiver rather than cables being "marketed" as 1.3. Basically all HDMI cables can handle the "1.3" signal if you want to call it that.
Old 12-12-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

monoprice,

case closed/.
Old 12-12-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
You're wrong about all hdmi cables being 1.3a but that's ok. Most are at this point. Like you said it's mostly hardware issue not cord. But if you were using 1080p with lossless audio some hdmi might not handle the bandwidth.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

as for which to get there ya go, all you need and for what 2 bucks more. Either way next time you're in best buy remember to laugh at the employee's as they try to pawn off the BB cord for $80 or more.
Old 12-12-08, 09:44 PM
Cool New Member

rexinnih, so I can get lossless audio despite whatever HDMI cable I use?
Old 12-12-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah for now basically but in future or whenever deep color comes into play you will NEED 1.3 cords. I really would say that yes at this point unless its some seriously old hdmi cord you'd be fine. But why not just get 1.3 I mean jesus it's $5 a cord at the link how much cheaper do you really need it for peace of mind and future proofing.
Old 12-12-08, 10:46 PM
Cool New Member

thanks for the tip hdtv00, I bought that cable at monoprice