Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help running HD Audio/Video FROM Dell Laptop thru Onkyo Receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the specs:

Onkyo TX-SR 606 7.1 Receiver
Vizio GLV-42 LCD 720p TV
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop (with HDMI out)
**Windows Vista Home Ultimate

Here is the Problem:

Running Laptop DIRECTLY to TV = GREAT
If I hook the laptop directly to the TV I get a windows prompt on the laptop screen saying a "new monitor has been detected". Then it allows me to choose how I want to use the monitor. For agrument's sake, I choose "Duplicate this monitor with my current desktop". The picture on the Vizio looks perfect! It's not distorted at all, and I can successfully transmit Audio AND Video from the Laptop via the HDMI cable.

Running Laptop THROUGH Onkyo Receiver to TV = NOT WORKING
When I choose I run an HDMI Cable from the lapop to "HDMI IN" on the Onkyo, the picture on the TV is distorted, and sound does NOT transmit.
The desktop being transmitted to the Vizo now appears "too big" and I only see the center of the desktop. I go into disply properties in Windows, but no luck! So there must be something I am doing with the ONKYO RECEIVER.

Does anyone have ANY IDEA?

It's kinda off, b/c I have had a problem with my intendo Wii and the Onko Receiver as well. I have it hooked up via Component Cables, but it refuses to display in Wide Screen, unless I hook up a set of "Component Cables" OUT to the TV from the Receiver. But that's another issue entirely, but thought I'd mention it if it could help with my current dilemma

Please help me out. Thanks guys
Old 12-10-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
You might get better help if you have your thread moved to the DVD & Home Theater Gear forum, where discussions about Home Theater Gear usually occur.

As for your problem, I know of no solutions, but found this in the manual:
Notes:
• The HDMI video stream is compatible with DVI (Digital Visual Interface), so TVs and displays with a DVI input can be connected by using an HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable. (Note that DVI connections only carry video, so you’ll need to make a separate connection for audio.) However, reliable operation with such an adapter is not guaranteed. In addition, video signals from a PC are not supported.
• When listening to an HDMI component through the AV receiver, set the HDMI component so that its video can be seen on the TV screen (on the TV, select the input of the HDMI component connected to the AV receiver). If the TV power is off or the TV is set to another input source, this may result in no sound from the AV receiver or the sound may be cut off.
• The HDMI audio signal (sampling rate, bit length, etc.) may be restricted by the connected source component. If the picture is poor or there’s no sound from a component connected via HDMI, check its setup. Refer to the connected component’s instruction manual for details.
Old 12-11-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
You might get better help if you have your thread moved to the DVD & Home Theater Gear forum, where discussions about Home Theater Gear usually occur.

As for your problem, I know of no solutions, but found this in the manual:
It's an HDMI port, so it shouldn't matter what the signal comes from.

I was able to somehow get the desktop to show up on the LCD TV correctly ( I still don't understand why the Audio isn't going through though). It works just fine when I hook it directly to TV, so it must be some SETTINGS in the A/V Receiver. I'll keep at it an let you guys know how it goes.

At the least, this thread could help someone else out.

IF this thread should be MOVED, please feel free to do it Mods.

Thanks
Old 12-11-08, 01:17 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
It's probably some issue with the video switcher in the Onkyo so I'll move this to a forum where people might have more experience with it.
Old 12-11-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by X
It's probably some issue with the video switcher in the Onkyo so I'll move this to a forum where people might have more experience with it.
Thanks X

And I'll try and behave myself this time
Old 12-11-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Sominex
It's an HDMI port, so it shouldn't matter what the signal comes from.
You're right that ideally it shouldn't matter, but in the real world, it unfortunately does.

I found the Vizio page for your TV (assuming you meant model GV42L):
http://www.vizio.com/productDetails....=1850&pid=1698

There it mentions that the TV only supports 640x480 PC resolution input through HDMI (it may also accept 1280x720, as that's an 720p HDTV resolution).

So here's my theory:

Plugging the PC into the TV directly, the two do a handshake and figure out the best resolution to display on the TV (which may be as low as 640x480).

Plugging the PC into the receiver, the PC and receiver do a handshake and figure out the resolution the receiver can handle, which is higher than what the TV can handle. When the receiver turns around and passes the signal to the TV, only a portion is shown.

I'm assuming you fixed it by setting the PC's HDMI output to something both the receiver and TV support.

Page 43 of the receiver manual deals with the HDMI input setup. I'd make sure the audio input for that particular source is set to HDMI. For example, the default audio input for GAME/TV is Optical 1. Setting the video input for this source as HDMI is supposed to automatically change the audio input to HDMI as well, but perhaps this didn't happen.

For thoroughness, I also looked up the support page for your laptop:
http://support.dell.com/support/topi...n&lnki=0&s=gen
Old 12-13-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Along with Jay's comments.....there are more variables to "resolution" than 640x480 or 1920x1080. There are also timings that can vary more with PCs than with "normal" TV components. These specs can be harder to find, or impossible. So I don't have them for your components to print for you.

A low-end receiver is not imbued with a fantastic scaler, rather a rudimentary one. It may not recognize a signal from a PC if it is not 100% compliant with the TV standards. If you had a high-end scaler like the VP50 from DVDO (just giving an example, MSRP is more than your laptop and receiver combined, I think), it would cope with whatever your computer sends out, even if it is odd. But your receiver apparently cannot. Or possibly you just don't have the settings correct in the PC to output the proper signal. There are huge threads at AVS Forum in the HTPC section about getting the perfect output settings to work with TVs.

You might want to try one of these as an option, too:
Gefen DVI Detective
Monoprice DVI Doctor

These devices are around $50-70 and could possibly help the video, although they don't pass audio, so you'd need to find a workaround for that. They learn what the display (your receiver in this case) wants for a resolution, and force the PC to work with that. They also constantly "send" the receiver signal, fooling it into NOT re-syncing ever.
Old 12-15-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spiky, Jay G, X

Thank you ALL very much for taking time our of your day to help me out with my issues. I am going to try the suggestions you offered. I am also waiting on a call back from Dell's Level 2 Tech Support today or tomorrow.

In taking in everything you've pointed out, should I prepare myself that it just might be impossible to get Video/Audio from this laptop to my TV?

Ya know, thinking back.. When I had a my older Tower PC hooked up to the laptop via VGA, and Stero Audio plug, I had issues then as well. The Desktop would come through clear as a bell. The Audio would work fine too. Sometimes I could get video, and sometimes I couldn't. (Using Windows Media Player, or waching episodes of Jerrico from the CBS Website)
Old 12-16-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GREAT UPDATE

Hey guys!

Thanks for bearing with me through all this. I s/w Level 2 Tech Support at Dell and was about to use the laptop top to transmit Video AND Audio straight to the Vizio TV.

He changed some settings in the "Catalyst Video Center", and then we were rockin'!

Now the A/V Receiver is a different story. I can get video to come through and it looks GREAT! But I can't get sound to transmit for some reason. I'll have to scroll through the A/V Receiver settings and see if I can figure out what the problem is.

But we're almost there!

If you guys have any more advice I'd love to hear it.

Thanks so much for everything-