Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does Bi-Amping the front speakers make that big a difference?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Onkyo 606 allows me to use two sets of the surround jacks to Bi-Amp my fronts. I just got the Polk Monitor 60's and am trying to decide how I want to hook them up. I really don't want to run double the wires unless it makes a big enough difference. Thanks.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 12-05-08 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-05-08, 08:45 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no it does not.
Old 12-05-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
You could try it but I am not sure it would make that much difference
Old 12-05-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
My Onkyo 606
How do like the 606? Everything you thought it would be? Complaints?

I'm sniffing around that model, and I'm just looking for all the feedback I can muster.
Old 12-05-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
How do like the 606? Everything you thought it would be? Complaints?

I'm sniffing around that model, and I'm just looking for all the feedback I can muster.
I can't comment on the audio portion yet, but so far the only thing I don't like about it is that it does something funny with component video signal IN from the Comcast box and then HDMI OUT to the TV. The red/green tints are very subtly unstable it seems. It doesn't do it to straight HDMI through. If I connect my component cable directly to the TV its fine.

I also have like a 15' component cable though. I need to try a much shorter one.
Old 12-06-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
My Onkyo 606 allows me to use two sets of the surround jacks to Bi-Amp my fronts. I just got the Polk Monitor 60's and am trying to decide how I want to hook them up. I really don't want to run double the wires unless it makes a big enough difference. Thanks.
Well, since your Onkyo is actually the only "amp" in this bi-amping situation, I'd say try it--you have nothing to lose. But don't expect wonderous results.

Normally, if you have separate high-power external amps for the lows, mids, and highs, you would notice a difference. You would have dedicated frequencies being contained by high-quality crossovers, going to the speakers and the respective amps, and your receiver wouldn't be doing any of the "work" at all, except for routing the raw signal. Your speakers would have the capabilities of very high power output as well.

At least for me, bi-amping is generally dedicated for serious high-power setups. But still, you might notice a better bass response. No harm in experimenting. Just make sure you follow Onkyo's guide in the manual for proper setup.
Old 12-06-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ou will only notice with High end speakers. Really High end and even then you might not notice. All depends on your ear. If you do hear a difference it will be with music.