Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can-Am lowers prices 20% on media storage cabinets

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last November, Can-Am raised their prices to reflect the poor health of the US dollar and the dramatic increase in steel prices. This November, their lowering their prices to reflect the changed circumstances.

Dear Can-Am Friends and Clients,

How about some good news for a change? We are very happy to bring our American and International customers paying in US dollars some very good news. It is especially pleasing to do it for Thanksgiving and the upcoming holiday season.

Save 15% to 20% for a limited time.

Very recently there has been a significant increase in the strength of the US dollar against our Canadian currency. In fact, if you are paying in US dollars, the price of Can-Am media cabinets just went down dramatically and that could translate into savings of hundreds of dollars. How long will that last? How long will the price of oil remain low? All we can tell you is the volatility is intense, unpredictable and the daily swings can be dramatic. We will monitor the exchange rates and make adjustments accordingly.

Please hurry. The currency discount is subject to adjustment without notice.

If you are ready for the ultimate media storage solution, home theater setup or computer station there may never be a better time than right now. Can-Am has recently introduced a 4-Drawer Cabinet in the all new 27 series of cabinets - 27" high cabinets to provide even more cost effective options and combinations. There are 12 new cabinets in the series, and while they all provide exceptional value, you will also enjoy some great new possibilities. And if going green is one of your resolutions, remember that although Can-Am cabinets are made of steel and should last a lifetime, they are recyclable and will never end up in a landfill.

Please visit our website for details. http://www.can-am.ca

On behalf of all your friends at Can-Am, I would like to thank you for your patronage and wish you a very Happy Holiday Season and a New Year filled with good health, peace and an abundance of good news.

Yours truly,

Jerry Pila
President
Although the email says "for a limited time" I presume this price reduction will last so long as the US dollar remains strong and steel prices remain low. In fact, we could well see deeper discounts ahead if the US dollar continues to climb against the Canadian or commodity prices fall further.

Edit:

I looked up some of their old pricing on the most common 3-drawer DVD cabinet and here's the historical numbers:

2000: $349
2001: $369
2002: $379
2003: $379
2004: $429
2005: $429
2006: $469
2007: $539
Now: $476

I've got ten Can-Am cabinets of various sorts and will probably buy two more after the holidays if the price hasn't gone up, anybody else here own some of these?

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 11-24-08 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-24-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm...I've always wanted these, but the prices made it prohibitive. I'll presume that these lower prices will remain at least for the time being. It would be nice to lock up the collection from the young kids. Thanks for the notification.
Old 11-24-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one of the 3-drawer units. I like it, but I don't plan on buying any more. They are just too expensive, especially with the added shipping costs.
Old 11-25-08, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

way too much $$$! What are they made of gold and filled with oil?
Old 11-25-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dollfins1
way too much $$$! What are they made of gold and filled with oil?
They're made of steel and the oil is sold separately.
Old 11-25-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a three-drawer and two-drawer unit stacked together. Fantastic products, but you do get what you pay for. If you plan on purchasing, I'd suggest biting the bullet and get at least two in order to justify shipping charges. If you are even considering Can-Am due to the size of your collection, a second cabinet will ALWAYS be put to use.
Old 11-25-08, 01:42 PM

Anyone have any cheaper alternatives ?
Old 11-25-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

someone had posted ones that are similar to these out of california that are a bit cheaper. I bought about 8 of the 3 drawers and 4 or 6 of the 2 drawers for cds too. I need to buy some more but I need at least $2k to make it worth while.
Old 11-27-08, 05:56 PM

I purchased 4 of the 3 drawer cabinets in the past 6 months. They are well worth every penny. It's so nice not having bookshelves of dvds everywhere. Super classy.