Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray player vs Ps3

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Blu-ray player vs Ps3

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blu-ray player vs Ps3

So I need to weigh the differences b/w the 2. I am an occasional gamer... You won't see me playing a multiplayer or anything...

Is there anything special about buying PS3, besides it plays movies and games? More so the internals of PS3.

Is there anything better than the internals of a PS3? I see some BR players, on the sonystyle website, are way more than the price of a PS3... What features does might it have?
Old 11-23-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
OK here we go again....

PS3 has an excellent BD player. Also update to FW are super easy. I have had a PS3 since it came out. I also use the HD and media center.

In the past I use to say it was a no brain to get the PS3. But stand alone players have come down so much if you really don't plan on playing a single game and have no interest of the media center, then I would look towards a stand alone. Earlier today Sears.com had a very nice Panny for $150. That is a great deal. Now that you can get a nice stand alone player for $200 or even less, I would consider that route.

You say you are a gamer tho, so the PS3 might be the way to go. About the only thing "special" about the BD player in the PS3 is the load speeds and easy FW upgrades.
Old 11-23-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
I ordered a PS3 this week. There was a deal from Amazon that got the 80gb one plus a $60 game plus two BR down to $256. ($506 - $100 Playstation Underground deal - $150 Sony Card Deal = $256)
Old 11-23-08, 07:26 PM

whats the sony card deal? Underground deal?
Old 11-23-08, 08:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
If you really want to get way more info than you want, you should search PS3 in the HD forum. Way back around May 2007 (when I got my PS3), there was tons of debate on this - the whole "it's a gaming system that has Blu Ray" to "it's a Blu Ray player that plays games in HD" I myself got it to play Blu Ray, but like you, I occasionally buy a PS3 game (not to mention my years building up a small library of PS2 games). Overall, the PS3 is still consistantly more reliable then stand alones. I have a feeling that may go away in the mext few weeks and next year with the new models that will be fully 2.0 compliant. I recently bought a Memorex BD player with profile 1.1 (it can do everything except go online with BD Live). But as Sdallnct has alluded to, this discussion has been repeated over and over. Just do some searching in the HD forum and you will probably get everything you need. Oh, and take a look at the sticky threads in there.
Old 11-23-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll say this much. I have 2 standalone players and a PS3 and I use the PS3 most of the time. It is faster, has no disc issues unlike the other two players, looks just as good and has full support for all codecs and BD features. If you want to go cheaper the Sony 350 is a good option, but if you have an HDMI receiver the PS3 is about as good as it gets. You get all the BD/DVD support, plus it can be a full multimedia center for divx, mp3s and photos. Not to mention the gaming abilities. A steal at $400.
Old 11-23-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased a PS3 about two weeks ago after much consideration and research, and I have to say I am very pleased so far. It runs smooth, has no playback hiccups with dvd's or bd's, the fan is super quiet and it isn't overly hot like others have posted in the past.

At some point next year, I will acquire a standalone to be the primary dvd/bd player. For now though, I'm content.
Old 11-25-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Mole177
whats the sony card deal? Underground deal?

It was a deal emailed to me on Amazon...
http://playstation.innovyx.net/r?xJv...JEHHHvvqqnvlHT

plus they send a code for $100 off, and then $150 for the Sony Card...
Old 12-01-08, 08:39 PM
TBB

Sony Playstation 3

The PS3 sounds like a great blu-ray player. However, it is now more expensive than many standalone units. (It used to be the other way around.) If you are interested in gaming, the PS3 may be worth considering; if not, another unit would save you some money. I have written a number of blu-ray pages -- about the players and the movies available -- which you might be interested in reading. I am not an expert but I did spend hours reading on Sunday about the PS3 (and about others) and have gathered the information I found as well as a lot of links to great reviews, videos, etc.

Brenda
Old 12-02-08, 04:52 AM

^ uhhh ok.... where may the blu-ray pages be?

Whats blu ray live?

Bitstream?
Old 12-02-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like you've got some reading to do. Live is the latest Bluray feature. It is extras accessible from some discs via the Internet. You need a Profile 2.0 player to access this, plus a disc with it.

Bitstream refers to the audio output of a player. One output choice is to send the original, unaltered audio data via HDMI to a receiver that can decode the signal. This is called bitstream.
Old 12-02-08, 08:59 AM

If you don't have a gaming system and or BD player and want both in-one package then a PS3 might be your ticket. Now if all you want is a BD player that has good PQ & AQ and is 2.0 compliant for a decent price then the new Sony S350 and Panasonic BD35 stand alone players are a good choice.
I'm not expert or had special tools but I was lucky to be able to compare all three of these players(PS3,S350,BD35). I set this up like most of us would(settings,HDMI,etc) I used the same HDMI.
Well I'm not gonna go thru a long explanation since it's been done so many times over. In my opinion the BD35 was the best player of the three all the way around(PQ,AQ). It was not night and day,except for the Audio portion(why I don't know).it was a toss up between the S350 & PS3. Load time was easily won by the PS3 but it was a few seconds(under a minute) depending on the disc. To me that is not night and day but people on here get stuck on this point for some reason.
Price wise it's no contest,people have recently been getting the S350 for $150 and the BD35 can be had for $199. You might be able to get the PS3 for a decent price(had read on here from some they got it for $299) but like I said earlier is that if all you want is a good BD player then your paying the extra $ for something you don't need.
I will tell you my display is a Mit's 57734 DLP and AVR is Denon 3808 with Monitor Audio GS10's matched with a Epik Caliber sub, if this matters to anyone.
Old 12-02-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
As one mole to another, I think it comes down to whether you plan on playing video games or not. If you aren't really into them then get a stand alone player. If you are then you can get the PS3 for $249 if you apply for the Sony card. You can probably get a stand alone player for about $150 so you will have to decide if the extra $100 is worth it for the ability to play games.
Old 12-02-08, 02:14 PM

Not just games, Media Center abilities as well. The ability to stream music, pictures and movies is very important to me.
Old 12-02-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Not just games, Media Center abilities as well. The ability to stream music, pictures and movies is very important to me.

That's exactly why I bought it. I can stream movies, mp3s and photos from my mac. Slide shows are so much better for groups of people to watch on my 100" projector screen rather than crowding around a computer monitor. Casual web browsing in my media room is also possible without the need to have my computer in the room. In fact I use it more for these reasons than playing games. Although I am starting to find the cheap downloadable games from the PSN store pretty fun to pass a little time with.
Old 12-04-08, 12:27 PM

Same question/topic tooooooo many times!

PS's make great BD players.