Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Denon AVR-1908...good purchase?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-08, 04:56 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I currently own a Denon AVR 1802. I bought it over six years ago and it has no HDMI inputs. I am planning to buy a new receiver capable of 7.1 and one with HDMI inputs so that I can get lossless audio when I watch blu-rays on my new PS3 (which I am watching on my Panasonic TH-58PZ800U plasma).

I am looking for a receiver that costs $400 or less (I suppose I might be willing to go up to $500). I was considering buying the Onkyo 606, but have been told that this may actually be a downgrade in sound quality compared to my old Denon. I therefore decided to look at new Denon receivers. I read good things about the quality of the Denon AVR-1909, but $650 is a little high for me.

I found the Denon AVR-1908 for only $334. Why is it so much cheaper? I assume that this is just because it is an older model? Does anyone know what the differences in features are between the two (I'm not an expert and am having trouble determining this).

Also, what scares me a little bit are some of the reviews that I am reading on Amazon. While people have raved about the audio quality, they say that setting it up is extremely difficult. Unfortunately, I am far from an expert when it comes to setting this stuff up. Does anyone else have this receiver?
Old 11-22-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
*caugh* *caugh* what speakers do you have *caugh* *caught*

Btw, search would have showed at least of 1/2 dozen threads like this.
Old 11-23-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is cheaper because it is an old model, the 1909 would be the replacement, I imagine. You should check the audio capabilities carefully to make sure it does what you want via HDMI.
Old 11-23-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure if the deal is still good, but jandr.com had the AVR-1909 available for $499 recently (phone order only.) That is the price I paid through them (just over a month ago), but you have to request it. Their phone rep checked with their superviser and approved the $499 price with free shipping. Good Luck!