Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need serious, intelligent input re Blu-Ray players...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, last year I got him the 42" HDTV and an XBox 360 with the additional HD DVD drive. This year, he really wants to go purple, which means I've got to get him a Blu-Ray player.... but which one?!?! I'd really like to cap the cost at $250 (or thereabouts), which leaves plenty of room selection-wise from what I'm seeing online. Unfortunately, when one starts talking HDMI, upconverting, etc.... my head starts swimming.

So, in plain English, what's the best I can do out there for around $250? (Note: I'd be willing to go a hundred or two higher if I could get a home theatre/blu-ray player bundle).

My sincerest thanks in advance for your time and recommendations!!
Old 11-22-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bluray players start at $200, so that's easy. The video has always been great, audio has been all over the place and is the major issue when selecting a player. But, without a surround system to consider, any of them should be great. Most of the cheap models (starting with the $230 Insignia at BestBuy and lower) are actually the same machine inside, sold to various manufacturers. Essentially they are clones, so other than a possibility of build quality issues, pick the best deal.

Surround sound/disc player combo systems are usually a pain in the butt. When part of it breaks, that is. And you're left with half a device and have to go buy another piece anyway, which may not work with the specialty all-in-one device. But people keep buying them, anyway.
Old 11-22-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at the Panasonic or Sony players, and make sure they are newer models (numbers will be higher). If you want to future proof as much as possible, make sure the player is at least BD 1.1 compliant. 2.0 is the best right now - don't worry about the jargon, just DO NOT get a 1.0 player. HDMI will give you the least hassle as far as connections since it handles audio and video.
Old 11-22-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
This is stolen from FW...seems like a good price if true...

Panasonic Blu-ray Disc Player DMP-BD35 $150--Starting on Sunday 11/23--
Panasonic Blu-ray Disc Player DMP-BD35, Internet-Ready on sale for $150 + shipping. Limit 1 per order.

# BD Live for access content via your internet-connected player
# 1080/24p Playback, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS HD

It is at Sears.com
Old 11-22-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sdallnct...

I would agree, and that's not even a Black Friday deal! If I wasn't buying a Dell Studio Hybrid in March with a Blu-ray drive in it, I'd grab this!

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 11-22-08 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-23-08, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you SO much, guys!!! Went with the Panny deal from Sears... got the 2-year extended warranty (lesson well-learned on a dvd player we bought a few years ago that crapped out just prior to the warranty expiring - got a brand-new one in return!). Total was $237.xx. My sincerest appreciation to you all!!!
Old 11-23-08, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
This is stolen from FW...seems like a good price if true...

Panasonic Blu-ray Disc Player DMP-BD35 $150--Starting on Sunday 11/23--
Panasonic Blu-ray Disc Player DMP-BD35, Internet-Ready on sale for $150 + shipping. Limit 1 per order.

# BD Live for access content via your internet-connected player
# 1080/24p Playback, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS HD

It is at Sears.com
That didn't last long. It now shows in stock for $250, but the site won't let you add it to your cart because it's out of stock.
Old 11-23-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bwsmom...

You are quite welcome! I hope he (is "him" your son or ?) enjoys it! What Blu-rays are you getting along with it?

I just checked the site and it is $150, but they are out of stock. I see the Sharp player is $179 as well. Sears must want to get the jump on this season because I think it's going to be one of the worst ever.
Old 11-23-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not that this is the forum, but I have read an article or two that with the economy some stores are trying to extend the season and other stores are starting early in hopes to jump start the season.

I almost bought one as well. I have a PS3 for the media room, but now have enough unique BD movies that sometimes want to watch them in the living room. But it is more a want, then a need at this point, so I'll wait a little longer.
Old 11-23-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
That didn't last long. It now shows in stock for $250, but the site won't let you add it to your cart because it's out of stock.
Yeah, I sat up watching a movie and waiting, refreshing the page every few minutes until the deal went live - there was NO way I was going to miss out on it!! (Plus, it saves me from having to deal with the Black Friday mess!).

Thanks again!
Old 11-23-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
bwsmom...

You are quite welcome! I hope he (is "him" your son or ?) enjoys it! What Blu-rays are you getting along with it?

I just checked the site and it is $150, but they are out of stock. I see the Sharp player is $179 as well. Sears must want to get the jump on this season because I think it's going to be one of the worst ever.
"He" is the hubster. He actually already got his "big" Christmas present this year... a new motorcycle that he just picked up on Friday. But, having done without for many a Christmas when I was growing up, I wasn't about to have nothing under the tree for him Christmas morning, and he's been wanting the blu-ray for quite some time now. I'll still keep an eye out for a good home theatre deal to go with it, but at least I have the player taken care of, and he's already done a great job of setting up our existing sound system, so we won't suffer (much) if a new home theatre setup has to wait.

Thanks again! You guys are the BEST!!!!
Old 11-23-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bwsmom
"He" is the hubster. He actually already got his "big" Christmas present this year... a new motorcycle that he just picked up on Friday. But, having done without for many a Christmas when I was growing up, I wasn't about to have nothing under the tree for him Christmas morning, and he's been wanting the blu-ray for quite some time now. I'll still keep an eye out for a good home theatre deal to go with it, but at least I have the player taken care of, and he's already done a great job of setting up our existing sound system, so we won't suffer (much) if a new home theatre setup has to wait.

Nice! Your hubby will love it! I wish my wife was that dedicated!! She did get me a 34 inch HDTV and two theater chairs for my birthday three years ago, so I can't complain!

I would suggest getting separate components to tie the Blu-ray player to a home theater in the future, but that's just me.
Old 11-23-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

. I'll still keep an eye out for a good home theatre deal to go with it, but at least I have the player taken care of, and he's already done a great job of setting up our existing sound system, so we won't suffer (much) if a new home theatre setup has to wait.

So I'm confused? You have a surround system or you don't? Or are you just feeding through your "stereo"? I hope you have at least a basic 5.1 set up. IMO the sound it at least 50% of the total movie experience.

If you don't have a basic surround set up...bet we could come up with some idea's on a budget after all we are all about spending other people's money LOL
Old 11-23-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
Nice! Your hubby will love it! I wish my wife was that dedicated!! She did get me a 34 inch HDTV and two theater chairs for my birthday three years ago, so I can't complain!

I would suggest getting separate components to tie the Blu-ray player to a home theater in the future, but that's just me.
Yeah, I got several "dump him and marry me" proposals last year when I was seeking advice on the HDTV purchase.
Old 11-23-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I'm confused? You have a surround system or you don't? Or are you just feeding through your "stereo"? I hope you have at least a basic 5.1 set up. IMO the sound it at least 50% of the total movie experience.

If you don't have a basic surround set up...bet we could come up with some idea's on a budget after all we are all about spending other people's money LOL
We don't have a surround system per se - we have a receiver that I believe was manufactured in the late 60's/early 70's, and he's run the sound through that and out to the two large speakers we have at opposite ends of the living room. To be honest, that receiver gives us rather amazing sound, especially given its age. (Made in a day when quality work still meant something, as opposed to today's throwaway stuff).

At any rate, we don't have any bookshelf or wall-mounted mini-speakers that are a part of most true "surround" systems these days, which is what I'd be looking to get him to go with the new blu-ray. In that vein, I'm happy to take any additional suggestions you all might have.
Old 11-23-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We don't have a surround system per se - we have a receiver that I believe was manufactured in the late 60's/early 70's, and he's run the sound through that and out to the two large speakers we have at opposite ends of the living room. To be honest, that receiver gives us rather amazing sound, especially given its age. (Made in a day when quality work still meant something, as opposed to today's throwaway stuff).

At any rate, we don't have any bookshelf or wall-mounted mini-speakers that are a part of most true "surround" systems these days, which is what I'd be looking to get him to go with the new blu-ray. In that vein, I'm happy to take any additional suggestions you all might have.
I have no doubt that vintage receiver has great STEREO sound. That really is awesome. But surround sound on movies is totally different. 5.1 means 5 speakers + a subwoofer. And actually one of the most import pieces is that center channel where much of the sound comes from. You would really open a whole new world and gain a new appreciation of movies with surround sound.

I'm not a HTiB (Home Theater in Box) fan, but this is not to bad. Especially for the money:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...m-BLACK/1.html

I'm a KEF pimp, and this is a nice speaker set for the money:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-BLACK-/1.html

Pair these with a nice Onkyo or H/K receiver and have a nice little set up.
Old 11-23-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I got several "dump him and marry me" proposals last year when I was seeking advice on the HDTV purchase.

Yes, I hope your hubby knows how lucky he his. Whenever I ask for electronics from wife, I get a Best Buy gift card

You should be commended for doing the effort to actually buy something.
Old 11-23-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have no doubt that vintage receiver has great STEREO sound. That really is awesome. But surround sound on movies is totally different. 5.1 means 5 speakers + a subwoofer. And actually one of the most import pieces is that center channel where much of the sound comes from. You would really open a whole new world and gain a new appreciation of movies with surround sound.

I'm not a HTiB (Home Theater in Box) fan, but this is not to bad. Especially for the money:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...m-BLACK/1.html

I'm a KEF pimp, and this is a nice speaker set for the money:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-BLACK-/1.html

Pair these with a nice Onkyo or H/K receiver and have a nice little set up.
See, this is the kind of stuff that I truly know nothing about. I'd never have guessed that there's a difference between stereo and surround sound! This is why I come to you guys and why I bless the day Al Gore invented the internet (chuckle): I'm able to directly converse with those of you who actually know what you're talking about!

That said, both of the sets linked are well out of my price range at this point (particularly considering I've already picked up the blu-ray player). Got any thoughts on something like this: http:///6bca7d? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

My sincerest thanks again and again for the input! You all make it easy for me to make Christmas good without decimating our bank account.
Old 11-23-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I hope your hubby knows how lucky he his. Whenever I ask for electronics from wife, I get a Best Buy gift card

You should be commended for doing the effort to actually buy something.
Never underestimate the power of an educated woman (or a woman who's willing to educate herself)!
Old 11-23-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

See, this is the kind of stuff that I truly know nothing about. I'd never have guessed that there's a difference between stereo and surround sound! This is why I come to you guys and why I bless the day Al Gore invented the internet (chuckle): I'm able to directly converse with those of you who actually know what you're talking about!

That said, both of the sets linked are well out of my price range at this point (particularly considering I've already picked up the blu-ray player). Got any thoughts on something like this: http:///6bca7d? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

My sincerest thanks again and again for the input! You all make it easy for me to make Christmas good without decimating our bank account.
You DEFINITELY have to go somewhere and hear the difference! I have a 7.1 setup in my media room that puts some theaters to shame! The first thing I did back in 1998 when I bought my first DVD player was invest in a new receiver that could process all 5.1 channels so that I wasn't missing anything. Blu-ray is all about picture and sound, so if you have great picture but decent sound, it's like putting ketchup on a Filet Mignon!

BTW, your link doesn't work - I think it got truncated. Also check out my home theater link below to see my setup. The gang here can get you into a decent set up - what's your surround system budget? If you can wait until April, most menufacturers usher in the newer models at that time, so you can get last year's for a steal.

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 11-23-08 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-23-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Urgh. The link should be through t-i-n-y-u-r-l, but for the sake of it, here's the full link:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3100...470219&sr=1-9#
Old 11-23-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Stereo is 2 channel (what you currently have). And is great for music, which is the way CD (most) are recorded.

But DVD's are recorded from the start with at least 5.1 channels (again, 5 full speakers and a subwoofer). Some are even recorded at 6.1 and 7.1, but going 5.1 one will take care of you. Especially as you are just starting. And it is more then just hooking up 5 speakers to your stereo receiver. Surround receivers "process" the sound so that it is seamless.

This is about the cheapest as I would go. for both speakers and receiver,

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S4100...471336&sr=1-11

I agree, you should go listen. You will be amazed at the difference. You can look at my signature to see my surround set up in my media room. I'm still working on the surround in the living room. Right now I have more of a 3.1 set up....LOL
Old 11-23-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Urgh. The link should be through t-i-n-y-u-r-l, but for the sake of it, here's the full link:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3100...470219&sr=1-9#

LOL...I linked just a slighter nicer one....but yea...that would be "ok". I think you would like that better then your current 2 channel set up.
Old 11-23-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Never underestimate the power of an educated woman (or a woman who's willing to educate herself)!
I'm most impressed with your effort!
Old 11-23-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stereo is 2 channel (what you currently have). And is great for music, which is the way CD (most) are recorded.

But DVD's are recorded from the start with at least 5.1 channels (again, 5 full speakers and a subwoofer). Some are even recorded at 6.1 and 7.1, but going 5.1 one will take care of you. Especially as you are just starting. And it is more then just hooking up 5 speakers to your stereo receiver. Surround receivers "process" the sound so that it is seamless.

This is about the cheapest as I would go. for both speakers and receiver,

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S4100...471336&sr=1-11

I agree, you should go listen. You will be amazed at the difference. You can look at my signature to see my surround set up in my media room. I'm still working on the surround in the living room. Right now I have more of a 3.1 set up....LOL

Okay, I ran that system through PriceGrabber.. found that 6Ave.com has the best price ($283.xx), and I found a 5% off coupon code that brought it down to $269.19. That's certainly doable. Anyone have any problems buying from 6Ave?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.