Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Will Denon DVD2910 play PAL and other regions?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this dvd player and some movies have peek my interest and I have read were this play will convert PAL dvd's to NTSC and be able to play all regions. Can anyone please confirm this? Thanks
Old 11-06-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming a USA model, it should play PAL natively, but that doesn't mean much since it won't be region free. Try searching to see if anyone has firmware from Europe. Denon Europe usually has region-free models.
Old 11-07-08, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spiky
Assuming a USA model, it should play PAL natively
Just to clarify, a USA model would be NTSC. I'm assuming you mean it will also convert PAL to NTSC, or will at least play PAL discs.

Here's the region-free hack posted at videohelp.com. I can't vouch for whether it works or not:

To make the Denon DVD-2910, 3910 and A1XV play DVDs from all regions:

1. Ensure there is no disc in the player.
2. Power off using the front panel On/Off button (not standby).
3. Press and hold Open/Close, Play and Skip Reverse (I>I). The front panel should briefly display "Region_Ax" where x is the original region number. If not, then repeat the process 1-7 above.
Old 11-07-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Just to clarify, a USA model would be NTSC. I'm assuming you mean it will also convert PAL to NTSC, or will at least play PAL discs.

Here's the region-free hack posted at videohelp.com. I can't vouch for whether it works or not:

To make the Denon DVD-2910, 3910 and A1XV play DVDs from all regions:

1. Ensure there is no disc in the player.
2. Power off using the front panel On/Off button (not standby).
3. Press and hold Open/Close, Play and Skip Reverse (I>I). The front panel should briefly display "Region_Ax" where x is the original region number. If not, then repeat the process 1-7 above.
Yes thanks I saw this on another site last night and yes its now region free!!!! NICE!
Old 11-07-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most Denon players can play both PAL/NTSC natively, or can convert (often poorly). The USA vs Europe models have different firmware most of the time, but have essentially the same hardware other than maybe the SCART output. But I'd never seen one with a remote hack. Nice call!
Old 11-07-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Most Denon players can play both PAL/NTSC natively, or can convert (often poorly). The USA vs Europe models have different firmware most of the time, but have essentially the same hardware other than maybe the SCART output. But I'd never seen one with a remote hack. Nice call!
YEah I was searching online last night and found the remote hack. Really cool after I finished I checked and it said it was now a Region 1A instead of just Region 1. The "A" meaning All Region.

Thanks for all the great replies.
Old 12-01-08, 10:41 AM
rx

here is my question.....i have the DVD-2910 and it has a button on the remote for PAL/NTSC (Don't get much more convenient than that). Mty question is in the manual it sounds like from manual this will work (P 32-33 and 49 of manual) but it says when using a PAL disc to make sure output is NTSC, seems odd to me. Has anyone actually tried this, playing PAL DVD on an NTSC video screen?