Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

When will we see the next generation of Blu-ray players?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep reading how inferior, slower, etc. all stand-alone players are compared to the PS3. Also how some players do not do the best job with DVD upconversion. I really don't want a PS3 and don't want to make the jump until a good BR player gets around $200 or less.

I was really tempted to jump on that Samsung BD-P1500 that's on sale this week with the Matrix collection, but I'm afraid in a year or so it will be quite obsolete due to new ones out with better technology.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-16-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think anyone can accurately answer your question. Players are getting faster every day. Even the older players are getting firmware updates that make them faster for start-up.

Do you have an HDMI receiver?
Old 10-16-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Do you have an HDMI receiver?
I don't have a receiver yet, why?
Old 10-16-08, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I don't have a receiver yet, why?
Ah. Because if you did have one, depending on the receiver you had I would have spoken about specific players.

Bly-ray is great for video, but you are missing out on something without the audio.

Anyway, I wouldn't go crazy worrying about the technology. It won't be obsolete in a year. Without a receiver I would just worry about picking up a player that does Blu-ray video well.

What are you using for DVDs? Can't you continue to use that to upconvert and just use the Blu-ray player for Blu-ray?

What about the Sony 350?
Old 10-16-08, 04:12 PM

Snowmaker I think one of the things spacey is getting at is either your AVR or the BD player has to decode the new HD Audio. I don't think the 1500 will but that is one of the things everyone likes about the PS3(it does).
I was in the same boat as you and didn't want to spend over $200 for a player( I didn't want a PS3 either). I wanted a stand alone player that will bit stream DTS HD/MA for no more than $200. I'm being a little more specific since I already have a AVR(3808) that decodes all the new HD audio and has HDMI inputs on it.
So I couldn't go with the 1500(and hasn't received the greatest reviews either). Well I ended buying Sony's S350 yesterday(used the Sony CC $150 off offer ) I have only watched two movies so far but it seems like a pretty good player and I think it has all the new gadgets(that most likely won't use) on it. With the Sony deal I got it for a good price
Old 10-16-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do plan to get a receiver soon. Just trying to decide which one and also waiting for Black Friday.
Old 10-16-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

don't want to make the jump until a good BR player gets around $200 or less.

Any thoughts?
I agree with SoSpacey. You haven't defined "good". And you don't seem to have stringent audio and video needs, so what's wrong with the current $200 players?

BTW, the PS3 isn't exactly fast to load a BD. BD is slow. Try not to get caught up in the fanboyism. It hasn't cured cancer or anything.
Old 10-17-08, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
I agree with SoSpacey. You haven't defined "good". And you don't seem to have stringent audio and video needs, so what's wrong with the current $200 players?

BTW, the PS3 isn't exactly fast to load a BD. BD is slow. Try not to get caught up in the fanboyism. It hasn't cured cancer or anything.
I LOVE my PS3...especially since I dont use a media PC. Blu-ray playback is flawless, the load speeds are fast enough where I don't even think twice about it, I stream movies, music and pictures from my PC and now I just added the Netflix software which allows me to instant watch Netflix movies/TV shows instantly on my television. Once in a while I throw a game in.

It's perfect for my situation but not perfect for everyone. I didn't bring it up to the OP because it seemed like he was set against it. There are other good solutions out there but I honestly think the closer you get to the $400 mark, the easier it is to justify.

But yeah, depending on the player he buys will depend on the receiver he can get. Heck, he can get any receiver with analog inputs if he gets a player with analog outs. Not that I would recommend that but so many people are unloading top of the line HT receivers for dirt cheap because they have no HDMI or internal processing.

The general Blu-ray solution in this forum seems to be PS3-Onkyo 605/606. There are many other ways to go with it.
Old 10-17-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So analog inputs/outputs, not HDMI, are best for audio? I'm confused now.

Is that the way to utilize Dolby or DTS HD audio?

I want to get a sound system that will utilize the full potential of whatever audio tracks are offered on a BR disk, so I don't want to settle on something that doesn't decode Dolby True HD or DTS HD (or whatever their specific names are).

Last edited by Snowmaker; 10-17-08 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-17-08, 09:42 AM

So analog inputs/outputs, not HDMI, are best for audio?

Is that the only way to utilize Dolby or DTS HD audio?
absolutely not.

there are different ways to handle HD-audio.

1- if you have an older receiver with analog inputs, and you have a blu-ray player with analog outputs that can decode all of the HD-audio formats, you let the player decode and send the decoded signal to the analog inputs of the receiver.

2- if you have HDMI on both the receiver and player, you can send the raw signal to the receiver (as long as it can decode all of the HD-audio formats) and then the receiver will decode it for you.
Old 10-17-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
So analog inputs/outputs, not HDMI, are best for audio? I'm confused now.
no, not necessarily. it's just a cheaper route to go, because you can get an older AVR with analog ins for a lot less money than the current HDMI-capable receivers. that being said, the D/A converters in a standalone Blu-ray player are most likely not as good as those you would find in a decent AVR, so if you're concerned about the best sound quality, HDMI to a good AVR is probably the way to go. as for whether the decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA should be done in the player or the AVR, I personally don't think it matters.

Is that the way to utilize Dolby or DTS HD audio?
There are three main ways to get Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA, depending on the capabilities of your Blu-ray player and AVR:
1. Player decodes it internally and D/As the audio to six discrete analog outs connected to the discrete analog inputs of the AVR, where all that's left is to amplify the sound
2. Player decodes it internally and sends the PCM over HDMI to the AVR, where it is D/A'd and amplified
3. Player bitstreams the Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA to the AVR where it is decoded, D/A'd and amplified

I want to get a sound system that will utilize the full potential of whatever audio tracks are offered on a BR disk, so I don't want to settle on something that doesn't decode Dolby True HD or DTS HD (or whatever their specific names are).
Any of the three options above will give you the full lossless audio that Blu-ray offers. If you have a really keen ear, you'll want to choose the player or the AVR with the best D/A converter and make sure you're doing the D/A in that component.
Old 10-17-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks. Guess I still have more research to do.

And I thought the TV was going to be the hard part.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 10-17-08 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-17-08, 10:16 AM

Thanks. Guess I still have more research to do.

And I thought the TV was going to be the hard part.
The easiest way to do it is to tell us your total budget and let the edumacated forum members choose a system for you.
Old 10-17-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The easiest way to do it is to tell us your total budget and let the edumacated forum members choose a system for you.
I had that in my other thread. http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-th...ere-begin.html

Damn! Amazon has the Onkyo 606 for $356 right now. I think that's the best price I've seen for it so far.
Old 10-17-08, 10:31 AM

I just skimmed through that whole thread.

Did you ever decide on a receiver? Speakers?

Any reason you specifically DONT want a PS3?

Are you connecting a media PC to your LCD?

What are you connecting to your receiver?

What are you doing about music in that basement?
Old 10-17-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just skimmed through that whole thread.

Did you ever decide on a receiver? Speakers?

Any reason you specifically DONT want a PS3?

Are you connecting a media PC to your LCD?

What are you connecting to your receiver?

What are you doing about music in that basement?
I'm pretty sure I want the Onkyo 606. No on speakers yet.

I don't want to spend $400 for a blu-ray player. I don't play enough games anymore to really make it worth it.

Haven't fully decided on how I'll play music yet, but I'm not too concerned with that right now. My computer will be in the room right next door. May just run an ethernet wire or something wireless.
Old 10-17-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Here's what I would recommend to you:

Blu-ray player: Sony BDP-S350
Available for ~$250 from lots of places online.

AVR: Onkyo TX-SR606 ($350 from Amazon) or
Pioneer VSX-1018AH ($450 from Amazon, may be cheaper elsewhere)
Old 10-17-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish the Black Friday ads would hurry up and leak out. I really would like to wait till then if possible. I've just got the itch.
Old 10-17-08, 03:17 PM
Suspended

They have and the Samsung 1500 is rumored at $150.
Old 10-17-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
They have and the Samsung 1500 is rumored at $150.
If you could PM me a link then I'd appreciate. I've read the report that that player will be $150, but I want to see actual ads.
Old 10-21-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have an older receiver with no HDMI and analog inputs.
I'm wondering if MasterAudio or TrueHD are worth the extra money i need to pay for a blueray player with good D/A and to decode those.

I cannot tell the difference between DTS and dolby digital.
Does the lossless really make a big difference from DTS/DolbyDigital? Can most people hear the difference and is it significant?
Old 10-21-08, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by timewaster
i have an older receiver with no HDMI and analog inputs.
I'm wondering if MasterAudio or TrueHD are worth the extra money i need to pay for a blueray player with good D/A and to decode those.

I cannot tell the difference between DTS and dolby digital.
Does the lossless really make a big difference from DTS/DolbyDigital? Can most people hear the difference and is it significant?
yes and yes.

but the player doesnt matter if your receiver has no analog ins nor hdmi.
Old 10-21-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
yes and yes.

but the player doesnt matter if your receiver has no analog ins nor hdmi.
I think he meant my receiver does not have HDMI, but it does have analog audio inputs. He just worded the sentence incorrectly.
Old 10-21-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I keep reading how inferior, slower, etc. all stand-alone players are compared to the PS3. Also how some players do not do the best job with DVD upconversion. I really don't want a PS3 and don't want to make the jump until a good BR player gets around $200 or less.
I hear you. Fortunately, I also play games and grabbed a PS3 for $300 when Walmart had the sale this past summer. I would love to have a stand alone BD but none seem to upscale DVD all that well. I'm holding out for a well done Silicon Optix solution that doesn't cost $2K.
Old 10-21-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by kefrank
no, not necessarily. it's just a cheaper route to go, because you can get an older AVR with analog ins for a lot less money than the current HDMI-capable receivers. that being said, the D/A converters in a standalone Blu-ray player are most likely not as good as those you would find in a decent AVR, so if you're concerned about the best sound quality, HDMI to a good AVR is probably the way to go. as for whether the decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA should be done in the player or the AVR, I personally don't think it matters.

There are three main ways to get Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA, depending on the capabilities of your Blu-ray player and AVR:
1. Player decodes it internally and D/As the audio to six discrete analog outs connected to the discrete analog inputs of the AVR, where all that's left is to amplify the sound
2. Player decodes it internally and sends the PCM over HDMI to the AVR, where it is D/A'd and amplified
3. Player bitstreams the Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA to the AVR where it is decoded, D/A'd and amplified

Any of the three options above will give you the full lossless audio that Blu-ray offers. If you have a really keen ear, you'll want to choose the player or the AVR with the best D/A converter and make sure you're doing the D/A in that component.
My player is the PS3. Which of those 3 methods does it use for HD audio? I may soon be shopping for a receiver that can handle HD audio, but I'm not sure what to look for. Thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.