Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help - advice on integrating cable modem and wireless router with home theater?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to get some advice from everyone. I will be setting up hi-speed internet and a wireless home network this weekend and was planning on setting up the cable modem and wireless n router on the shelf below my PS3, HD DVD and LCD TV.

Is this safe to do? Will there be any interference or damage to my home theater equipment from having the cable modem and router right next to everything?

Also, can anyone chime in on the best way to split the cable line to both my HD cable box and my cable modem? Since my surge protector has two pairs of cable in/outs, I was just planning on using a cable splitter to split the single cable line into two, feed the two cable ins to the surge protector with one cable out going to the HD cable box and one cable out going to the cable modem. Would this be the best way to do it, or would (not splitting the cable and instead) having the cable out from the HD cable box go into the cable modem be better?
Old 10-10-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There shouldn't be any interference issues. And isn't there a certain way to hookup cable internet and TV devices? Just use their instructions.

Tip: use WPA for the wireless.
Old 10-10-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a similar, yet more complicated set-up than you so I think I can lend a hand here.

1- Use a standard splitter before going to each source.
2- Do NOT use your surge protector. You degrade your picture quality and it probably wont really protect you against a surge anyway.
3- I have all of my stuff in the same media closet. No worries, no damage.
4- Your wireless router will have ~4 wired ports. Use them. Wireless is great but since you have such a short run, hard wire the PS3 and anything else you can. The more you can hard wire the better.

IF you set up your splitter and you are experiencing signal loss, buy an amplified splitter. Your cable company may even provide one at NO COST. Cablevision does. They gave me a 4 way amplified splitter after I brought the main in to my basement.

Again, dont bother with wireless for the devices on the same rack if you can go wired.
Old 10-14-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the advice guys. I set this up over the weekend and am very happy with the results. It's also the first time I've taken my PS3 online since I bought it in January and I'm loving the ability to download content like HD theatrical trailers.

One thing I wanted to mention was the type of coaxial cable splitter I used. When I set up my cable modem, I noticed it recommended to use a 5-1000 MHz splitter, but the only one I had was a 5-900 MHz splitter. Will this impact the performance/strength of the cable signal to my HDTV and to my cable modem significantly? I had purchased another splitter from Best Buy the day before (in case I couldn't find my splitter) but it's rating was even worse: 5-100MHz.
Old 10-14-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This may seem unscientific. I generally compare product lines and buy a 5-2000 (or 10-2000, something like that) splitter from the top line, as long as it doesn't say Monster on it. There are often 2 product lines, don't cheap out, get the heavier duty model.

Most cable companies are still operating right around 800-900Mhz, I think. But I would just go with the 5-2000, they don't cost much more.

Note: 2-way splitters should all be less than $20 at a B&M store (unless it says Monster, then maybe $30), maybe less than $10 at some online stores. This is why I say don't cheap out. If it's $10 vs $15, just spend an extra fiver.
Old 10-15-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
This may seem unscientific. I generally compare product lines and buy a 5-2000 (or 10-2000, something like that) splitter from the top line, as long as it doesn't say Monster on it. There are often 2 product lines, don't cheap out, get the heavier duty model.

Most cable companies are still operating right around 800-900Mhz, I think. But I would just go with the 5-2000, they don't cost much more.

Note: 2-way splitters should all be less than $20 at a B&M store (unless it says Monster, then maybe $30), maybe less than $10 at some online stores. This is why I say don't cheap out. If it's $10 vs $15, just spend an extra fiver.
There must be something wrong with my eyes, because I checked the splitter I had bought from Best Buy as a backup and it is 5-900, not 5-100 as I thought. Anyway, same rating as the one I am using now anyway. I didn't even know if they sell 5-2000 (or anything like that) here ... I searched Best Buy and all I turned up was a cruddy Recoton 5-900 ...

A 5-900 MHz splitter wouldn't impact my hi-speed internet, would it?
Old 10-15-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You'd have to check with your cable company to see what range they are using. It should be fine.
Old 10-16-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, I'll probably stick with the splitter I'm currently using then. To my eyes, the HD television feed still looks fantastic and I'm getting excellent download rates, so I'm happy anyway.