Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Are there any DVD players that can bypass "prohibited actions" ?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-08, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean really. Wouldn't it be nice if there were a DVD player that would allow you to do things some discs won't normally let you? Like skipping previews and those stupid warnings that are in like 4 languages now.

Last edited by Viper187; 10-05-08 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-06-08, 07:00 AM

Jumping chapters may not work, but I've found that Fast Forward works a lot of the time. Just not every time.
Old 10-06-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Usually when that crap appears when you hit 'play movie', the workaround for that is selecting the first chapter from the scene selection menu instead. That's what I do for all my Sony/Columbia TriStar DVDs which have all that 'the extras and commentaries don't reflect the opinions of Columbia and its employees' nonsense in 5 languages when you hit that 'play movie' option.
Old 10-06-08, 01:15 PM

Oppos (at least the current models) do. When a DVD starts up if you hit START and then MENU it'll go right to the menu and bypass all of the "forced" content and logos and warnings, etc.
Old 10-06-08, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by David Levine
Oppos (at least the current models) do. When a DVD starts up if you hit START and then MENU it'll go right to the menu and bypass all of the "forced" content and logos and warnings, etc.
Cool
Old 10-06-08, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Viper187
Cool
Plus it's region free, is a great upconverter and plays burned DiVX files.

Pretty much the perfect DVD player.
Old 10-06-08, 06:08 PM

I HATE the prohibited crap but what Nick Martin does is EXACTLY what I do..lol
Old 10-06-08, 06:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by David Levine
Plus it's region free, is a great upconverter and plays burned DiVX files.

Pretty much the perfect DVD player.
Sweet! I have like half a dozen imports now. I tire of converting to NTSC and burning. I'll have to price them up next month. I've already spent more than I wanted to this month on some recent sales.
Old 10-10-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
I have a Pioneer DV-588A, which plays DVD-Audio, SACD and Divx- do a Google search on this model and you can find firmware someone in Europe made for it that makes it region-free and also ignores ALL button lockouts. It also gives you a setting that will make it go straight to the movie when you put the disc in- that's been perfect for rentals and borrowed movies where I don't want to have parts of the movie spoiled with stupid menus! Only bad thing about it is it doesn't tolerate scratched discs as well as my other players.

As for PAL discs, you can set it to convert them to NTSC (which looks OK for stuff shot on film, but the frame speed is messed up when you play anything shot on video)- if your TV can display PAL, like I think all LCDs can, you can set it to output them in native PAL format.
Old 10-19-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You should be amazed what other countries have to deal with - on a lot of Bollywood dvds, you have to wait about 5 minutes before getting to the Main Menu, in which it forces you to watch movie trailers, food or banking commercials, and the "don't bootleg" commercials. It doesn't allow you to fast forward or skip. That's nuts!