Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New Receiver Suggestions Needed

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys, I was hoping that a few people could provide me with some suggestions for a new receiver. I just bought the Sony BDP-350, and here is my wishlist of features:

At least 3 HDMI inputs, preferably 4
A price tag of roughly $250
Decoding of whatever the Sony 350 doesn't handle
Audio must pass through HDMI
Full SA-CD Support
Only 5.1 needed, but 7.1 is gravy

If my $250 spending limit isn't realistic, feel free to suggest something up to about $350, but I can't spend any more than that.

Here is my full setup:

52" Sharp Aquos 1080p LCD
Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray Player
Xbox 360 (no HDMI)
Digital Cable Box with HDMI 1080i
Pioneer DV-563A (for SACD and DVD-Audio support)
Old 10-05-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like the Onkyo SR606 is right for you.

Link
Old 10-05-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by chipmac
It sounds like the Onkyo SR606 is right for you.

Link

I paid about $300 and IMO it's worth 3 times that much
there's nothing about the 606 that I don't like

also if you need speaker these are what I use
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...107R150&tp=186
I'm sure you could spring for higher end speakers and get better sound but IMO they are very good

Last edited by Bacon; 10-05-08 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm trying to get one myself and it seems the longer I wait the more the price keeps dropping. Why is it that the black model sells for less than the silver one though?
Old 10-05-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, guys! The 606 has been in my Amazon cart for the past two weeks, and I keep hoping it'll drop down to under $300 one of these days.

I was thinking maybe there was another receiver out there with all the same features for less money, but it seems the Onkyo is the way to go.

Thanks again!
Old 10-05-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikael79
Hey guys, I was hoping that a few people could provide me with some suggestions for a new receiver. I just bought the Sony BDP-350, and here is my wishlist of features:

At least 3 HDMI inputs, preferably 4
A price tag of roughly $250
Decoding of whatever the Sony 350 doesn't handle
Audio must pass through HDMI
Full SA-CD Support
Only 5.1 needed, but 7.1 is gravy

If my $250 spending limit isn't realistic, feel free to suggest something up to about $350, but I can't spend any more than that.

Here is my full setup:

52" Sharp Aquos 1080p LCD
Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray Player
Xbox 360 (no HDMI)
Digital Cable Box with HDMI 1080i
Pioneer DV-563A (for SACD and DVD-Audio support)
No offense...but I always find these "looking for a new receiver" threads odd. I have yet to see a "wish list" or "wanted features" that include "good sound".

I mean in most every "looking for a TV thread" you see the request for "the best picture" or at least "the best picture for the money".

But I don't think I have ever seen a receiver thread that said "I want the best sound" or "I want the best sound for the money".

Is this because most believe there is no difference in sound? People feel they won't hear the difference in sound (but they would see the difference in TV's)? That features are more important then sound quality? People don't care about sound (but many seem to want True HD)? All the above?
Old 10-05-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I would assume that people wouldn't steer anyone towards a receiver with horrible sound.

I do quite a bit of research before I buy any major purchases, so I'm sure I would have caught a receiver with horrible sound, if anyone had suggested one.

The Onkyo SR606 is the one I've been looking at, but my thread was intended to see if there was another receiver out there with the same features for a little less money.
Old 10-05-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess I would assume that people wouldn't steer anyone towards a receiver with horrible sound.

I do quite a bit of research before I buy any major purchases, so I'm sure I would have caught a receiver with horrible sound, if anyone had suggested one.

The Onkyo SR606 is the one I've been looking at, but my thread was intended to see if there was another receiver out there with the same features for a little less money.
Well I'm just using your thread as an example. Your not the first to not request a receiver with good sound.

Yet everyone requests a new TV with a good pic. Guess everyone thinks we will "steer" them to crappy picture quality on TV's...LOL

(to your point, Onkyo is a great balance of sound quality, lots of features and good value)
Old 10-05-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
No offense...but I always find these "looking for a new receiver" threads odd. I have yet to see a "wish list" or "wanted features" that include "good sound".

I mean in most every "looking for a TV thread" you see the request for "the best picture" or at least "the best picture for the money".

But I don't think I have ever seen a receiver thread that said "I want the best sound" or "I want the best sound for the money".

Is this because most believe there is no difference in sound? People feel they won't hear the difference in sound (but they would see the difference in TV's)? That features are more important then sound quality? People don't care about sound (but many seem to want True HD)? All the above?
Eh, I'd say that question is kind of self explanatory, just as saying you want a TV with good picture is redundant. People are going to comment on those aspects regardless of whether they're stated or not, and are quick to point out deficiencies when applicable. I don't know much about receivers, but I know people are quick to not recommend say, the lower end Sony receivers.
Old 10-06-08, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
What speakers are you trying to drive?
Old 10-06-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use Sony speakers that were released about 3-4 years ago. Nothing fancy, but they're fine for me.

I own my own home, but my neighbors are extremely close, so I usually don't pump up the volume too loud.
Old 10-06-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use Sony speakers
So obviously sound quality is not an important aspect of this purchase.
Old 10-06-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say just get the 606. I preordered it and paid $449 and I'm happy for every day I had it before prices started to go down. Enjoy it now or deprive yourself while waiting for every few bucks of price drops. It's a great receiver for a moderate system at a bargain type price.

Last edited by movielib; 10-06-08 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-06-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just so you now....I am on my second onkyo 606. First one I had issues with the audessey feature and I had to return it to the manufacturer. The second one, I somehow blew to speaker channels and have to send it out for repair. Both channels I tested different speakers, and changed speaker wire and got the same effect...nothing. I gone into menus and changed the sound configuration and nothing works.

While I like the 606 and think it has some of the best bang for the buck, I'd be very hesitant in ordering it mail order.
Old 10-06-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
Just so you now....I am on my second onkyo 606. First one I had issues with the audessey feature and I had to return it to the manufacturer. The second one, I somehow blew to speaker channels and have to send it out for repair. Both channels I tested different speakers, and changed speaker wire and got the same effect...nothing. I gone into menus and changed the sound configuration and nothing works.

While I like the 606 and think it has some of the best bang for the buck, I'd be very hesitant in ordering it mail order.
I got it from J&R. No problems.
Old 10-06-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Old 10-06-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
You ass!!
Old 10-07-08, 10:13 AM

You ass!!

I'll throw myself under the bus here. When I first got into HT I RAN out and bought a Sony DE receiver and a 5.1 SONY speakers system :O So I know from experience! This was 1997 btw. Boy have I learned a lot since then.

Anyway, good speakers have nothing to do with how loud they are, its how clean they sound. My center channel on my Sony system was barely audible at high volumes, medium volumes or low volumes. They were just shit. Dialog was totally muddy; inaudible.

My current Paradigm speakers make the dialog sound like they are in the room with you. Even if the actor is whispering.

The 606 seems to have a number of complaints. I think the 605 gets better reviews.
Old 10-07-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My first speakers were Cerwin Vega's...LMAO. I think I drove them with a Sansui receiver or something....

My best sounding system was a NYAL (New York Audio Labs) hybrid amp and a pair of KEF 103.2 speakers in rosewood....I used two different pre-amps, I think one was a PS Audio and the other was a small British made unit that I can't remember the name. A Rega Planar 3 turntable and Original Meridian MCD CD player rounded out the system. I still have the set up, just not hooked up.
Old 10-14-08, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
My first speakers were Cerwin Vega's...LMAO. I think I drove them with a Sansui receiver or something....

My best sounding system was a NYAL (New York Audio Labs) hybrid amp and a pair of KEF 103.2 speakers in rosewood....I used two different pre-amps, I think one was a PS Audio and the other was a small British made unit that I can't remember the name. A Rega Planar 3 turntable and Original Meridian MCD CD player rounded out the system. I still have the set up, just not hooked up.
I still have Cerwin Vega's as my Lf/Rt Mains. They are probably (nay are) 15 years old. Am I deaf, living in the stone age? Kinda nostalgic since they are the oldest components I have, and have travelled with me thru half a dozen apartment, condo's and homes....
Old 10-22-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the teasing about my Sony speakers worked, kids.

On Friday I'm getting my new Onkyo HT-S6100 package.
Old 10-23-08, 09:07 AM

Well, the teasing about my Sony speakers worked, kids.

On Friday I'm getting my new Onkyo HT-S6100 package.
It didn't really work...you bought a home theater in a box!

Enjoy your new system. As far as HTIB goes, that is a pretty good one.

We look forward to your next thread....

Looking to Upgrade...I have the Itch
Old 10-23-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
Are there very many receivers out there that have at least 5 HDMI inputs? I'm considering upgrading, just don't know for sure when. I have a 5 HDMI switcher right now that is filled, so it would be nice to be rid of the switcher.

And how does Onkyo compare to Yamaha? I've had a Yamaha receiver for a few years now and have really loved it.
Old 10-23-08, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
Are there very many receivers out there that have at least 5 HDMI inputs? I'm considering upgrading, just don't know for sure when. I have a 5 HDMI switcher right now that is filled, so it would be nice to be rid of the switcher.

And how does Onkyo compare to Yamaha? I've had a Yamaha receiver for a few years now and have really loved it.
Different strokes for different folks. And each receiver model would have to be compared individually.

I love Yamaha and do whatever I can to stick with them. At a lower price range there may not be as much of a difference in sound.
Old 10-23-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
^ Yeah, I've been so pleased with my Yamaha that it would be tough to lure me away, but I know that things can change. I've seen a lot of Onkyo recommendations on this forum, just curious if its reputation is as strong as Yamaha. Or maybe there's another brand that warrants attention. I guess I was speaking in more general terms, since I don't have my eye on anything in particular at the moment.

And I am figuring that wanting at least 5 HDMI inputs on a receiver will probably put me out of a lower price range, at least right now.