Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

looking for a new dvd player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've lurked around this forum for deals and release info for awhile now. However, when my 8-9 year old DVD player crapped out on me last night, I thought this would be a good place to ask for help on purchasing a new DVD player.

For reference, my old DVD player was a Sony DVP-S360. I would post links, but I am unable due to not having 15 posts.

Anyways, I checked amazon.com, and found a couple interesting choices. They were the Sony DVP-NS700H/B 1080p Upscaling DVD Player and the Sony DVP-NS57P/S Progressive Scan DVD Player.

I don't own a HDTV (my TV is a 32" Sony Wega) so the upscaling one seems a bit pointless, but I will eventually upgrade, and if the upscaling dvd player is a better option than the regular DVD player on a standard TV, it would be a no brainer. The upscaling DVD player is only $20 more.

Basically, I would like to find the best bang for my buck. I'm not really wanting to spend over $100 on a DVD player, when I can see myself transferring over to Blu-Ray in a year or 2. I'd just like to get a nice DVD player for a couple years. The 2 options I provided aren't the only DVD players I would consider. They were just the two that struck me as good buys since I've never had any troubles with Sony. Any other DVD player recommendations you guys provide would help as well.
Old 10-04-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those Sony's should be decent. On SDTVs, I've been happy with the output from Pioneers, too. Since you plan on moving to BD before this new player should die, and presumably when you upgrade to an HDTV, there is probably no reason to get an upconverter now because the BD player will be one. So I'd say save the $20 if those are your final price options.

I'm impressed your S360 lasted this long. Mine died with the common C:13 error years ago.
Old 10-04-08, 09:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KingShiznit

Anyways, I checked amazon.com, and found a couple interesting choices. They were the Sony DVP-NS700H/B 1080p Upscaling DVD Player and the Sony DVP-NS57P/S Progressive Scan DVD Player.
I have the Sony NS700 and it's a good player. Better and crisper edges then my still working, but retired to the bedroom JVC player. I can't comment on the upscaling, as component vs HDMI made no visual difference when displayed thru my Mitsu HC3000 projector.
Old 10-04-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KingShiznit
I've never had any troubles with Sony.
Sony DVD players have been good to me as well. I have a 5-Disc DVD/CD changer and a $70 DVD player from Sony and both have worked fine for as long as I've had them. I don't use either of those players anymore, but the 5-Disc DVD/CD changer has been working for years and it hasn't stopped working yet. I also had a Sony HTIB w/DVD player and it worked fine. I gave it away to a friend and he loves it.

I know this isn't what you want, but I'd just think if I were you about buying one of the new Sony Blu-ray players and spending the extra $200. This way when you upgrade your TV you won't need to buy a BD player.