Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray PS3 playback with moving discolored lines?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a PS3 about a month ago, ordered some component cables and thay came in today. Plugged em in and my PS3 movies and games look like shit! On the PS3 menu, during the movie, as long as the player is on, all I see are lines of varying thickness (they seem green or yellow colored) going from the bottom of the screen to the top. Its some kind of scan and I dont know what it is. The problem is, I dont know if its the wires, PS3, or movie.

I have one bluray movie and you can see em real bad. I tested a regular DVD and it had them too, not as bad. Oddly enough the picture looked worse than a regular DVD player. Not cause of the lines, just granier and rough edged. Whats up with that?

I have the PS3 on 1080i (I dont have p) and am using a digital output. I never noticed the picture like this before but I had it hooked up with 480i. The component cables are a generic brand from China (I got my Wii ones from the same place, dont have this problem) and were cheap. Any ideas or help?
Old 09-27-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's the TV? Does anything happen if you wiggle the connections on either end?
Old 09-28-08, 02:05 AM

Found the problem after research. It turns out the earth ground of the PS3 gets some sort of interference so you have to get rid of the earth ground. I did that and it looks great now!

Though regular DVDs look like shit. They look 480i. Whats up with that?
Old 09-28-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenous
Found the problem after research. It turns out the earth ground of the PS3 gets some sort of interference so you have to get rid of the earth ground. I did that and it looks great now!

Not sure about your grounding....but

Make sure you go into the settings to have the upconverting set where you want it. There are several settings.
Old 09-28-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, they are 480i. Maybe if you were more specific?
Old 09-28-08, 12:11 PM

Specific? Its a PS3, I have it set to 1080i on picture settings and on the BD settings to PYB... Picture looks like AV hook up.

I'll play with it some more. I think the upconvert was mentioned as HDMI or something
Old 09-28-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Yes, but have you set the PS3 to upscale? You must set this setting. As mentioned there are several options and I don't know what the default setting is (I was an early adopter so it didn't have upconverting till it went thru an FW upgrade). But there is an "off" setting for the upconverting.

However, it does look like you must use HDMI for this feature to work. This is from the PS3 user manual (which is a good source for information )

Upscaler
Adjust settings for upscaled output when playing a DVD. Upscaling is a feature that can be used to enable content recorded at SD resolution (NTSC: 480p / 480i, PAL: 576p / 576i) to be displayed in HD resolution (1080p / 1080i / 720p). Because the video content of commercial DVDs is recorded in SD resolution, higher resolution video can be achieved by enabling upscaled output.

Off Set to disable upscaled output.
Double Scale*1 Set to upscale and display with double horizontal and vertical dimensions.
Normal Set to upscale and display at a size that matches the screen size.
Full Screen*2 Set to upscale and display at full screen by stretching the image.
*1 This option can only be used when the video being played is in SD resolution and the video output setting of the PS3™ system is set to 1080p or 1080i.

*2 The proportions of the video content may be changed for some content.

Hints
To use this feature, a TV that is compatible with HD input and output must be connected using an HDMI or component AV cable. Also, the video output setting of the PS3™ system must be set to 1080p, 1080i, or 720p. When playing copyright-protected DVD content such as commercially available DVD-Video, an HDMI cable is required to upscale the video content.
By enabling this feature, some Blu-ray Discs (BDAV) can be upscaled. BDAV is a Blu-ray Disc video format. Generally, when video content is recorded on BD-R or BD-RE media using a Blu-ray Disc recorder, the content is recorded in BDAV format. You cannot use this feature on video content recorded in BDMV format. Note that most commercially available BD-ROM media now on the market are recorded in BDMV format.
If image quality is reduced or the image does not look right when upscaled, set this option to [Off].
Old 09-28-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe you need to make sure the lower resolutions aren't selected in the menu for the PS3 if you don't want them displayed.
Old 09-28-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Specific?
About the video problem, I meant. Just looks like 480 resolution, or...?