Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Buying a new TV - Need Input!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-08, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys - I'm in the market for a new TV soon and I would love some input on what the hell exactly is going with the HDTVs nowadays (right now the only HDTV I have is a 30" Insignia I bought last Black Friday).

Here's the deal - I just bought a new house down near Houston equipped with a media room. I'm taking it slow because I know I want to do it up right but don't have a ton of disposable income right now. Provided I pass the bar exam I took in July, I will be encountering a substantial bonus in mid-November enabling me to begin my media room project.

Through my work I can get discounted Sony and Panasonic products, although only the Panasonic products are deep-discounted (58" Viera plasma for $2591).

I've lost touch with the HD developments, so I don't know what all these "Bravia" engines and Magnolia setup are. Last time I looked heavily at HDTVs, plasma and LCD were it and there was nothing about "refresh rates" or "contrast ratios."

All I know is that when I look at the TVs in Best Buy, the ones with the glossy finish look sharper than the screens with the more matte-like finish. I'm looking to spend around $3,000 so I can use the rest of my bonus for a PS3 and some games.

And yes, I'm aware that I could probably sift through countless numbers of websites to get this information, but I'm busy. And everyone here has always given me great advice and I value everyone's opinion here much more than in other places

Thanks ahead of time!
Old 09-27-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Panny Plasmas. Still offer one of the best pictures for any $$.

But if you are putting in a true "media" room, why are you looking at displays that still measure by the inch? I mean that is cute and all, but if you are serious about "doing it right" why are you not considering a front projector? In general you get a lot more bang for your buck (though if your not comfortable with install yourself, then install will eat much of that up).

But if you are looking for a "theater" experience, I'd take a 720p FP over a 50" or 58" 1080p plasma/LCD every day of the week and twice on Sundays. And heck for the budget you are looking at, you could get a nice 1080p FP. And unlike the debate about smaller sets of "will I see a difference between 720p and 1080p" having 1080p on a screen measured in FEET (say 100 to 110 inches) would be very, very sweet.
Old 09-28-08, 01:02 PM

The only concern I have regarding the projector is that the media room is setup with a niche(sp?) specifically for a TV. I mean, I suppose I could put something else there, but it would likely look awkward.

I might snap a picture and upload it here so you can see what I'm talking about.

As for install, I don't know what all I'd have to do - the room is pre-wired for sound, which worries me because I'm not sure what gauge they used.
Old 09-28-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well if you are willing to put in a little time for research, and willing to get your hands dirty, I bet you could do the projector yourself.

How big is the "niche"? My first thought is if it is big enough, but the screen in there and the center channel on a small stand below the screen. I don't think that would look out of place at all. If it is not big enough to put the screen inside the niche, then my first thought is to just mount the screen on the wall where the screen covers the niche. Then use black curtains above and below to cover the "holes". No one would ever know there is is a niche there. And you could get creative and still make a spot for your center channel where it doesn't stick out in the room.

And tho I'm not a big fan of pull down screens. You could also just put a nice piece of art in the niche and put the pull down screen in front of the niche and only have it pulled down for movie watching. But then it will be decent $$ to get a quality, tension pull down (tho you could get a motorized one and really have the wow factor go up).

I'm not trying to talk you into anything. But I put in an front projector as a "last thought" mainly because a 50" TV was still really expensive at the time and I didn't want to take up floor space. But it has turned into one of the best things I could of done. It is our main viewing TV, my kids bring their friends over, my wife brings her friends over (dancing with the stars, Olympics), I bring my friends over (football)...and of course movies (on my PS3 and HD players) are just awesome! It is just really hard to get that experience with something smaller.

Oh, don't be worried about the "gauge" of wiring 99% of the time it is a non issue. And if they did it right and put "in wall" wire in, it will be fine. And even if they didn't, wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-28-08, 02:50 PM

Old 09-28-08, 02:51 PM

Whoops - those are bigger than I thought. My apologizes to 56k users (if there are any of those anymore).
Old 09-28-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What is the dimensions of the opening? And what room is this? Do you vision a true media room? Or a multi-purpose room? Do you have lots of windows in this room? What do you like to watch? How big is the room overall? What kind of seating would you like to have?
Old 09-28-08, 11:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer.
Old 09-29-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When I finish my basement media room I am installing BOTH a plasma and a front projector, if it's possible.

Plasma hanging from the wall with a mechanical screen that drops down in front of it.
Old 09-30-08, 09:28 PM

The opening is 76 x 37.

It's a media room in the center of the house - it was literally built to be a media room. It already has the tiered floor and all. No windows.

What the hell is DLP? And do I care about contrast ratio?
Old 09-30-08, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Pioneer.
A Pioneer what? Models would be wonderfully appreciated.
Old 09-30-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ignition

They're usually found on the back of the TV.

Old 09-30-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ignition
A Pioneer what? Models would be wonderfully appreciated.

I'm sure he is talking Pioneer plazma. Models are not important, really. The Pioneer and Panasonic are considered the best pictures available. If you main concern is picture quality, then get the Pioneer or Panny in the size you want (sounds like 50" or 58" is what your looking for).

If in your budget, get the 1080p. If not, you will be happy with the 720p.
Old 10-02-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When we go all digital this February, can I hook up the digital converter box to my tv? Here's my tv:

What kind of video quality will I see on this tv? And when we all go "digital", does that mean I don't have to literally turn the channel knob anymore?
Old 10-13-08, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
When we go all digital this February, can I hook up the digital converter box to my tv? Here's my tv:

What kind of video quality will I see on this tv? And when we all go "digital", does that mean I don't have to literally turn the channel knob anymore?
Wow, I havent seen one of those in years. Did you pick that up at a yard sale at Graceland? LOL
Old 10-13-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I actually feel like a 58" Panny may look too small framed in that opening.

The cutout looks like it has a reasonable depth. Why not put a covering over it to house the projector screen. In turn you could put a shelving system behind it to houes all of the components?

...although how large is a 58" unit...maybe it would fit and be the easiest solution.