Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Stupid question about Oppo, Onkyo and other things that begin with the letter "O"

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Stupid question about Oppo, Onkyo and other things that begin with the letter "O"

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-08, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but i'm allowed (by law) at least one a month. And since September is almost over...here we are.

Anyways, I have an upconverting Oppo DV-981 HD. I have it connected to my Onkyo TX-SR605 using an HDMI cable.

So, the Oppo runs into the Onkyo which runs into my plasma.

Now...if the Oppo upconverts from 420p to 1080i, when I hit "Display" on my plasma (to display what signal it's getting), should it say 420p or 1080i?
Old 09-27-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well make sure in the Oppo menu you have it set to convert to the resolution your want, then it will output at that resolution. If you tell the Oppo to output 1080i, your TV is going to say 1080 one way or the other. You may not have set your Oppo to convert to that resolution in the menu if you're experiencing an issue, because it won't just do it automatically. Once you set your resolution though, you don't have to change it again.

But how are you running video to the TV? HDMI I assume?

Wait, Oppo's don't all have resolution settings in the menu, you should have an HDMI button on the remote I think, keep pushing that, and it changes the resolution.

Last edited by mzupeman2; 09-27-08 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-27-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
le sigh.

The HDMI button worked. For some reason, I thought it would automatically upconvert to the best possible resolution.

Many, many thanks mzupeman
Old 09-27-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problem, hopefully it puts any short-lived fears about the Oppo you had to rest

That's really my only quibble with Oppo. They explain how this function works in the manual but, they really should have an option for it in their menu's, too.