Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should $29.95 DVD Players Be Banned?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Should $29.95 DVD Players Be Banned?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
But your theory, if true, would apply to ANY cheap product. Are you even sure DVD's are what fill up land fills the most?
Yeah, I know, there are thousands of more serious issues of waste throughout the world than DVD players or even cheap electronics. But this isn't www.worldwastetalk.com. I'm trying to narrow it down to suit this website.

People will always buy cheap stuff and then chuck it out. This is part of the vicious cycle we're in. We're addicted to cheap stuff that, in the big picture, uses up a lot of energy, resources and whole lot of landfill.

I'm no "save the planet", granola-cruncher but I like to try to do my little part. Hey, I'm guilty of shopping at the dollar store as well.

Will people do it themselves out of guilt for polluting the environment? No, not without some kind of government intervention or laws.

I don't know of any private recycling programs other than ones that are directly profitable such as scrap metal. Sure, a company like Best Buy will be a corporate leader and recycle your batteries, cell phones and printer cartridges as good PR, but they pass them off to a government funded/subsidized recycler.

Last edited by orangerunner; 10-04-08 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive got a cheap dvd player I have never had a problem with it. My first one was a $30.00 magnavox its about 4 years old(still works). Ive got a $40.00 phillips now and its kicking pretty good.

Maybe in some cases with these its the user.
Old 10-06-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
We've had a $30 no-name in our bedroom for a while now, and that thing is a rock. It will play anything we throw at it, even DVD-Rs. If I had the time and patience I'd look to see if it was region hack-able, but we've got plenty of unwatched R1 stuff to go through in the meantime.

Quoted to update, it's a Cyberhome brand. And one of the things we'll do is go to sleep playing DVDs on it. Our TV has a sleep timer, but we haven't found it yet on the DVD player. So the TV will turn off, but the player will keep going, I'll sometimes wake up at 3 or 4 and see it on and turn it off then, but we've been doing this for a couple of years now and it's still going.

I guess if you don't literally physically abuse it, or put in dirty discs, these cheap players can last quite a while.
Old 10-06-08, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I paid 27 for my Magnavox DVD player from Wal-Mart a couple years back and still works great to this day!
Old 10-06-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Economic Terrorist you arez.