Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just got 50" Panasonic Plamsa - Need setup & break-in advice

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a new 50" Panasonic Plasma 720P at BB last night for an amazing $897. I have it all hooked up and tested it on DVD for about 15 minutes this morning using component since I do not have an HDMI cable yet. Everything looks great!

So, now I have a few questions.

SETUP & BREAK-IN:

Is there anything special I should do to setup the video settings? I have heard that on brand new plasmas, you want to NOT set anything to "bright" for about 200 hours to help prevent burn-in.

Is there anything I should avoid on it for a while? I figure no video games and no channels with logos for 200 hours. Neither are an issue b/c I do not have a game system hooked up to this TV nor do I have DSS/Cable/Ant.

What else? Any good movies to tune in the color (especially skin tones)? And other advice?

Thanks! I'll post a picture soon.
Old 09-19-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

for me, component looks the same (amazing!) on my 50" Panny plasma. I'm not sure how much break in is true anymore or whether it's needed. Panasonic themselves say it's a myth. I watched HD television and changed the configuration settings to that of someone's on avsforum and the picture has been perfect ever since.
Old 09-19-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lower your brightness and contrast for the first 100 to 150 hours. Check AVS Forums for your model Plasma to look for specific settings for during and post Break-in.

Enjoy your TV!
Old 09-19-08, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the information. I will definately look into the AVS Forum. Never heard of it before.
Old 09-19-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
During the first 100-200 hours with my Panasonic plasma I noticed a good bit of ghosts when going to all black or all white screens from more static images (Heads-up displays in games, channel guide, corner logos, etc). This was faint, and hard to notice by others. The ghost images quickly disappeared when regular film or video content went over that part of the screen. After this initial period, my plasma no longer does this. This behavior is normal for Plasma sets from what I understand.

I did some minor burn-in by running the AVS DVD-R Plasma Burn-in disc overnight for the first few nights. Did it do anything good or not... unsure.

-beebs

Last edited by beebs; 09-19-08 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-19-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And never connect anything to a Bose audio system. Plasma reacts very badly to it.
Old 09-19-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
And never connect anything to a Bose audio system. Plasma reacts very badly to it.
I hear that Sony, Pioneer, Samsung, LG, Yamaha, Onkyo, Oppo, Mitsubishi, Motorola, American Scientific, Black and Decker, Nikon, Apple, Rolex, Banana Republic, Toyota, Briggs and Riley, Lenovo, IBM, GE, Martha Stewart, Kenmore, Kirkland, and Chevy devices should also not be connected to your plasma.

-beebs
Old 09-19-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by beebs
I hear that Sony, Pioneer, Samsung, LG, Yamaha, Onkyo, Oppo, Mitsubishi, Motorola, American Scientific, Black and Decker, Nikon, Apple, Rolex, Banana Republic, Toyota, Briggs and Riley, Lenovo, IBM, GE, Martha Stewart, Kenmore, Kirkland, and Chevy devices should also not be connected to your plasma.

-beebs
So, should we assume you own a Bose system?

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Old 09-19-08, 07:24 PM

Why the f$ck does this stuff always turn into a Bose bashing argument thread? My post had nothing to do with Bose and some idiot had to bring it up and ruin the thread.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
So, should we assume you own a Bose system?

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
No, I don't care about Bose and don't own a single piece of that overpriced brand. But, I find it annoying that someone would throw a Bose Bash into this thread out of nowhere. What if the original OP had Bose equipment out of ignorance?

-beebs
Old 09-19-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bose Pro
Why the f$ck does this stuff always turn into a Bose bashing argument thread? My post had nothing to do with Bose and some idiot had to bring it up and ruin the thread.
Weird, it doesn't happen in anyone else's threads. Your user name is your burden. You might as well have called yourself "Fullscreen Pro," or "Colorization Pro," or "Dub Foreign-Language Movies Into English Pro." Granted, that last one would have been a bit unwieldy.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 09-20-08 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-20-08, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
Lower your brightness and contrast for the first 100 to 150 hours.
Actually, lower the contrast forever. Get a setup DVD or BD to get it set properly. Or use HDNet's calibration screens, they still run them weekly.
Old 09-20-08, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Weird, it doesn't happen in anyone else's threads. Your user name is your burden. You might as well have called yourself "Fullscreen Pro," or "Colorization Pro," or "Dub Foreign-Language Movies Into English Pro." Granted, that last one would have been a bit unwieldy.
So, I guess on your name, anytime you post we might as well make it a thread about Salt. I could think of all kinds of bad things to say about your name....

I tried to change my user name and DVDTalk Admins would not let me. I use to work for Bose a long time ago (obviously). After I left the company, I tried to change my username... no luck.
Old 09-20-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bose Pro
So, I guess on your name, anytime you post we might as well make it a thread about Salt.
You could, but people don't tend to have the same kind of negative reaction to salt that they do Bose products.
Old 09-20-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Depends on their heart. My mother would be all sorts of negative!
Old 09-20-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
BTW...that is an amazing price.
Old 09-21-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
You, SIR, have made me laugh hysterically at 6:40am the morning.

One of the best responses of 2008.

IMHO.

Bose Pro,

Don't get your pants in a wedgy. We all have our eccentric electronic lusts. I have a shitload of HD DVDs on my shelf, btw.