Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Banding Question (Sharp Aquos)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 04:04 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Sharp Aquos LCD TV, about a year ago. When I got it, I had heard about banding, but I didn't really know what it is. All I knew was to look for something by the side of the TV/image, but I didn't notice any problems. The idiot that I am, I didn't do much research because my TV seemed to look fine.

Tonight, while surfing the 'net, my interest was piqued when I saw a message board post about banding on an Aquos. I have a 42" model - one that was mentioned to have banding problems. So, I checked some pictures and came to the realization that my TV definitely does have vertical banding issues. To be honest, I thought it was normal to be able to see panels or something behind the image, at a specific angle. I guess I'm just a tool, though.

Anyways, I'm going crazy worrying that I might be stuck with the set now that it's been about a year, so I figured I would ask some questions here. If you can answer any of these questions, please do, because I'd like to know if there's anything I can do. Thanks in advance.

1) A while back, I heard that Sharp would replace any sets with the banding issue, that were sold before the 'fix'. I looked that up online and I only found it on one site. Is that true? Are there specific requirements?

2) I bought a four year warranty from the electronics store where I purchased the set. Do you think the warranty would allow me to return the TV if it has a banding issue? I'm also having a weird HDMI port issue, so I would definitely like to return it for a replacement.

3) Another thing I heard is that Sharp would fix the TV if it had banding issues? Is that even possible?
Old 09-17-08, 02:49 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

So, nobody on this forum has any ideas as to the solution to this problem, or the answers to those questions...?
Old 09-17-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You didn't list your model number, it's kinda meaningless without that. When there is a known specific problem like this, there is usually a thread over at AVS covering it. If this is that kind of problem.

1) Don't know, don't own a Sharp. However, whenever there is a "recall" like you are hoping for, it is always specific models, specific problems, sometimes specific serial numbers.

2) Banding is probably hard to sell as a fault worthy of warranty replacement. I'm guessing it isn't obvious enough to be considered a problem by a 3rd party company. But, you should definitely try. What is the HDMI issue? If it is just a sync problem, that is also probably not a warranty item because the industry is annoying.

3) Pretty sure this is the same Q as #1. And it is possible, but only within the constraints that Sharp sets. And I have no idea if or what they might be.
Old 09-17-08, 09:48 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Spiky
You didn't list your model number, it's kinda meaningless without that. When there is a known specific problem like this, there is usually a thread over at AVS covering it. If this is that kind of problem.

1) Don't know, don't own a Sharp. However, whenever there is a "recall" like you are hoping for, it is always specific models, specific problems, sometimes specific serial numbers.

2) Banding is probably hard to sell as a fault worthy of warranty replacement. I'm guessing it isn't obvious enough to be considered a problem by a 3rd party company. But, you should definitely try. What is the HDMI issue? If it is just a sync problem, that is also probably not a warranty item because the industry is annoying.

3) Pretty sure this is the same Q as #1. And it is possible, but only within the constraints that Sharp sets. And I have no idea if or what they might be.
Thanks for the reply.

I'll just list my responses/information based on the questions to make it easier.

1) I don't have my exact model number handy, but it's a set that's about a year old. I think it was one of the models that had problems with the banding. I thought that LC-42D62U was the model number, but I guess it's not.

2) Banding problems are widespread in the old Sharp Aquos sets. I've read a lot about that online. I e-mailed Sharp and they have a couple of days to get back to me. I also called the store I bought it from and they gave me a number to contact a Sharp Technical Support Worker. I called them today and they're going to call me soon, so that they can come in to check it out.

The HDMI issue is in relation to my 360. Sometimes I don't get sound with the video image. It'll occur when I turn the 360 on/TV on, or sometimes when I've been playing and I turn the TV off for a second to go to the washroom or eat, then turn it back on.

I basically covered everything in relation to 3, I think.
Old 09-17-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You should be able to find the model number on the TV itself. If it's attached to a wall, maybe use a little mirror and flashlight to get behind the thing and see it. I usually have no mirror, being male, but a DVD works great. I only bring it up since it would make searching the net for a recall easier.

The HDMI is probably just a typical problem, not a broken TV. Stupid HDMI.