Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Almost ready for my first HD HT system. Where to begin?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Almost ready for my first HD HT system. Where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
This is exactly why I asked. I was looking for pros and cons. Thanks.

I'm thinking 58-60" I know plasmas have a sharper image, but glare more.
Actually, I'd say in general, plasmas are not sharper. But better black levels, better color and better perceived contract.

I think LCD's are sharper. But they almost are to sharp. Many have a digital look. Where plasma has a more natural look imo.

As for glare many of the newer plasmas have an option for a no glar screen or they just come that way.

(and tho I sound biased for plasma, I currently have a DLP projector, a 47" Samsung flat panel LCD for the living room, and a 27" Olevia flat panel LCD for the bar).
Old 08-09-08, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
No they are not "on their way out".
I would say that rear projection is on its way out (or at least being reduced to the bargain bins), regardless of the technology inside. But DLP front projection will be around for a long time to come.
Old 08-10-08, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aktick
Snowmaker - have you decided not to get a projector?
Yeah, I think so.

Originally Posted by Spiky
I would say that rear projection is on its way out (or at least being reduced to the bargain bins), regardless of the technology inside. But DLP front projection will be around for a long time to come.
You don't hear much talk about DLP, so I figured they were not as popular.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 08-10-08 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-10-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't hear much talk about DLP, so I figured they were not as popular.
LED DLPs seem to be the best kept secret in HDTV. You may still decide not to get one but it's worth checking out. As long as you don't want to hang it on a wall and no one will be watching it from a wide angle there's really no other down side.
Old 08-10-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you want a screen size in the 58-60" I would suggest projection or DLP.

If you are looking for a TV that will last you a long time; DLP might be the way to go. When the bulb goes out every couple of years you just have to replace it. My friend has a 50" Toshiba DLP HDTV and he and his parents love it. Although I think my LCD 32" Sharp Aquos has better PQ; he will probably still have the same TV when I'm getting another one and they have already owned it for 2 years now. Of course, the DLP they have is only 1080i and is older, so you have to take that into consideration.

Usually the bulb needs to be replaced every 2-3 years. Some have the bulb work for up to 6. The bulbs usually run in the $200 range.
Old 08-10-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nateman
If you want a screen size in the 58-60" I would suggest projection or DLP.

If you are looking for a TV that will last you a long time; DLP might be the way to go. When the bulb goes out every couple of years you just have to replace it. My friend has a 50" Toshiba DLP HDTV and he and his parents love it. Although I think my LCD 32" Sharp Aquos has better PQ; he will probably still have the same TV when I'm getting another one and they have already owned it for 2 years now. Of course, the DLP they have is only 1080i and is older, so you have to take that into consideration.

Usually the bulb needs to be replaced every 2-3 years. Some have the bulb work for up to 6. The bulbs usually run in the $200 range.
As I said, with an LED DLP you should not ever have to replace the bulb.

As far as I know, all the LED DLPs are 1080p. At this time, all LED DLPs are made by Samsung. They now have a new 67" model (mine is 61").

IMO, the picture on my TV is as good as LCDs and plasmas.

You get a much bigger TV for your money than with LCDs or plasmas.
Old 08-10-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, if you want to go "big" RP, DLP would be the way to go for value.

Why did you decide against front projection?
Old 08-10-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
I think that is the case now, but I "guessing" we will see a minor come back in them. Why? If they can remain less expensive and get a bigger screen...well then....

I mean you still have to spend some serious money to get a 60+ inch flat panel. But those are available at great prices in RP DLP. And when calibrated offer and excellent pic.

Yea, IMO it makes little sense to get a 47" RP, but if your looking at 58" or anything over 60", for the cost I would look at the RP DLPs
Old 08-14-08, 11:06 AM

I'm a big fan of front projection. Considering that you can get an awesome 720p projector for under $900, and from it you can get an image basically as big as your room allows, the price:size ratio can't be beat.

Granted, it's not 1080p, but overall "wow" factor and cost was more-important to me for the time being. I'll upgrade to 1080p once there's an affordable 1080p LED DLP projector.

My setup:
Screen: Elitescreens M92UCH 92"

Projector: Mitsubishi HC1500

Receiver: Harman/Kardon AV-247

Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540

DVD player: OPPO DV-983H
Old 08-22-08, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Everyone keeps telling me DLP is on its way out.

I'm still leaning towards LCD, but all this is just so overwhelming trying to make sure I pick just the right TV, receiver, etc ....
Old 08-22-08, 08:06 AM

Everyone keeps telling me DLP is on its way out.
That's odd. I still see plenty of DLP projectors, and I still feel that they project a better image than LCD.

The one advantage LCD projectors have over DLP is it's easier to implement lens-shift.

Unless these people you're hearing from are referring to rear-projection DLP televisions... in which case I'd be inclined to agree, although they still have their fans.
Old 08-28-08, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I've ruled out DLP. I was at Best Buy last night, looking at the LED one, and it just drove me nuts how the brightness is not consistent from top to bottom and would move when you move up and down. The LCDs didn't do that.

Also, are there LCD sizes between 52" and 58"? Best Buy didn't seem to have any.
Old 08-28-08, 09:42 AM

OK, I've ruled out DLP. I was at Best Buy last night, looking at the LED one, and it just drove me nuts how the brightness is not consistent from top to bottom and would move when you move up and down. The LCDs didn't do that.
I assume you're talking about DLP rear-projection? It's important to distinguish here. DLP rear-projection has issues like you describe. It's the compromise for costing less. DLP front-projection rocks.

Also, are there LCD sizes between 52" and 58"? Best Buy didn't seem to have any.
They're not common, as it's tricky to produce LCD panels that big (the yields are low). Usually the larger sets are plasma.

But they do exist:
Toshiba 57LX177 (57")
Sharp LC 65D64U (65")
Old 08-28-08, 11:15 AM

While the Sharp 65" set is gorgeous, I would avoid it because of its high price tag and lack of 120hz refresh rate. When people come into the store I work at and are looking to go that big I get them hooked up with a DLP projector. Far better picture and value.
Old 08-28-08, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by JustinCleveland
When people come into the store I work at and are looking to go that big I get them hooked up with a DLP projector. Far better picture and value.

Agreed. The price-per-inch of a projector can't be beat. That's how I get my 92".
Old 08-28-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've had my LED DLP for nine months and I have no idea what you are talking about. Brightness is consistent throughout the picture.

As I said previously, if you are off at a wide angle, brightness decreases. I suppose if you are high or low enough the same thing would happen. However, most people watch TV from one spot (and there's plenty of leeway from front and center to allow for multiple viewers within the "good" area) in not too wide an angle and for those it isn't an issue.

I've never heard anything like your complaint before. Perhaps a really bad store set up or a very poorly calibrated or defective TV? If the picture was as you describe it (if you mean the brightness varies in the picture with no movement from you) no one would buy these TVs. Or if you're just talking about moving up and down while you are watching, who does that? Are you going to be on a trampoline while you watch it?

Last edited by movielib; 08-28-08 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-28-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movielib

I've never heard anything like your complaint before. Perhaps a really bad store set up or a very poorly calibrated or defective TV? If the picture was as you describe it (if you mean the brightness varies in the picture with no movement from you) no one would buy these TVs. Or if you're just talking about moving up and down while you are watching, who does that? Are you going to be on a trampoline while you watch it?
No, but if my eye line was at the top of the screen, the bottom was noticibly darker and vice versa. If my eye line was at the middle, the top and bottom were not as bright. Just sitting still, there was always one area brighter than the another. Are there LED rear projection DLPs?

Last edited by Snowmaker; 08-28-08 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-28-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, but if my eye line was at the top of the screen, the bottom was noticibly darker and vice versa. If my eye line was at the middle, the top and bottom were not as bright. Just sitting still, there was always one area brighter than the another. Are there LED rear projection DLPs?
All I can say is that I have never seen that in my TV. And I have never heard anyone say that about LED DLPs (or standard DLPs although they have other disadvantages) before.
Old 08-29-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Um, you guys are talking about the exact same thing. All RPTVs have always had this issue. It's inherent in the big-box-o-TV. Brightness and color is altered by the multi-layer, rear projected screens when you are off-axis. It's actually much improved these days. It was BAD in the 1970-80s.
Old 09-04-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a 52" LCD. Just need to determine which one. 52" should be big enough. A part of me still leans toward plasma for some reason though.

Is there a chart or something that specifies TV size vs. viewing distance?

A receiver and speakers are next. Due to nowhere to really hang them, I think my rear speakers are going to be recessed into my drop ceiling. Front speakers I think I just want floor-standing (got a nice wide wall to put it all in front of) and the center channel I guess either on a shelf below the TV, or hung on the wall right above it.

I'm only going to set up 5.1 for now, but may get a 7.1 receiver for future upgrading in case I want to add two more speakers later.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 09-04-08 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-04-08, 08:48 AM

Is there a chart or something that specifies TV size vs. viewing distance?
http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html
Old 09-04-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks.
Old 09-04-08, 10:19 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A receiver and speakers are next. Due to nowhere to really hang them, I think my rear speakers are going to be recessed into my drop ceiling. Front speakers I think I just want floor-standing (got a nice wide wall to put it all in front of) and the center channel I guess either on a shelf below the TV, or hung on the wall right above it.
What kind of budget for speakers and receiver?
Old 09-04-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick
What kind of budget for speakers and receiver?
If it were up to my wife, the cheapest possible.

I'm trying to find the nice median between affordable, yet good sounding.

Is there a way to mount flush speakers through ceiling tiles though? I have 12" square tiles. The tiles likely won't support the weight like drywall would.

I did at least order the 19" TV for behind my bar today:

Last edited by Snowmaker; 09-04-08 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-04-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For my rear speakers, I bought Omnimount hanging mounts and ran them through the drop ceiling. The speakers appear to be dangling from nothing. They are actually attached to the joists, very solid even for fairly good sized surrounds.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.