Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best 46" to 48" HDTV for Less than $1,200?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's the question. I am trying to find a good deal on a HDTV in the 46" to 48" size range but am having some difficulty pinpointing something I would be sure to want to buy yet. Any kind of HDTV would be worth investigating IMHO (DLP, LCD, and Plasma).

Any recommendations? And is there any website that I should visit? I would love to know if there are potential sales going on right now that I might be unaware of.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-08, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I got my Vizio 47" for like $1300 something if you want to go a little higher....it is 1080p as well....I love it.
Old 07-10-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
I think you just need to check out the "deal" sites and watch for coupons. I bought my Samsung flat panel LCD for like $1,399 at Conn's at christmas, but Fry's had it on sale just a few days later for $1,299. I'm please with it.

Also, you should pretty easily get the 50 Panny 720p plasma for around $1,450 which means if you careful you could get even cheaper.

But yet again, you don't tell us why you want the TV? What is your purpose? What is important to you? You mention cost...is that your ONLY concern? If so there are many off brand, Wal-mart TV's available for that price I'm sure. What do YOU mean by "best"? Most features? Most inputs? best quality picture? best quality set? Where will it be used? Will the room have light control. Will you use as a computer monitor? How far will you be sitting? What sources do you plan to use.
Old 07-10-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Alright. I need to connect my HD-DVD Player, a PS3 (which I am about to get), and a HD-capable receiver. I plan on using it only with these three things. I want a set with very good picture quality but it doesn't have to be the absolute best (I am working on a budget). It will be used in my bedroom with a general viewing distance of 6 or 7 feet away. There is no general "light control". It will not be used as a computer monitor. At least that is not part of my current plans.
Old 07-10-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Does anyone know if the Samsung 50" DLP Rear Projection HDTV HL-T5076S is any good? It's got a really good price right now on Circuit City's website and I might consider getting that. Right now it costs $1,000. It's output is shown as 1080p.

Likewise, I found the Panasonic 50" Plasma HDTV TH50PX80U that I believe you mentioned Sdallnct, and it costs $1,250. It's the 720p model like you mentioned.

Between the two which one is the better deal overall? I'm really conflicted between these two sets.

I think the sale ends today as well and if these are generally very good prices I think I should buy one today.

Last edited by GenPion; 07-10-08 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Personally IMO....the 50" panny 720p is one of the best overall pic's out there....REGARDLESS of price. I mean I'd compare it to the Pioneer and while most would say the Pioneer is better (and a lot more money) the panasonic is in the argument.

You probably need to look at some sets. DLP, LCD and Plasma all have a slightly different over all look. Just like different high end speakers all sound good, but sound different.

My pj in my theater room is a DLP. I like it. Good blacks. But the nice LCD's have come a long way with that. Tho I don't think it should be a real issue in choosing, that DLP likely has a bulb that will need replacing every so often. Personally I don't think the bulb is really an issue (yes they are a couple hundred, but that works out to penny's a day) but you should be aware of it.

Also, IMO at that size set, you are not going to see the difference between 720p and 1080p. But at 6-7ft some will argue that you "might". So do some reading on that. However, even if you do, remember resolution is only the 3-4th most important factor in overall image quality. But then some just want to brag about having 1080p. And you would want 1080p if you plan to use as a computer monitor.

Since the cost of flat panels (LCD or Plasma) has really come down, I personally would go in that direction. To me that will help future proof the set. How? No matter the size you can always find a place to hang it. Where as with RP's you might not always have a stand or place to put a stand.

When I bought a new set at Christmas I debated between the Panny and Samsung LCD flat panel. Wife got in the mix and was buying all the crap idiot salesman was saying about the "old" plasma technology. Plus I had a slight consern that it was physically a little big. Also the living room is very bright so thought the LCD would be better. So I went with the LCD Samsung. Oh I'm happy with it, but it is not the image quality of the Panny. I also you a HD DVD player and HD Dish box (along with a Wii).

Also do some reading on calibration and set up of the sets you are looking at. I was pretty disappointed in the Samsung until I looked up calibration and setting. It makes a HUGE difference. Few if any look good right out of the box.
Old 07-10-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for all the responses. I think now I am leaning more towards the Panasonic Plasma, but price does factor in still.

Is $1,000 a really good price for a 50" DLP HDTV?
Old 07-10-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GenPion
Thanks for all the responses. I think now I am leaning more towards the Panasonic Plasma, but price does factor in still.
Both Butterfly Photo and Beach Camera have the Panasonic Viera TH-50PX80U 50" Plasma TV available for less than $1200 and free shipping.

Done.
Old 07-10-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm currently recomending the Samsung LN46A550.

Outstanding picture. Mediocre sound. I think it's the best for the money.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SAMLN46A550
Old 07-10-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Both Butterfly Photo and Beach Camera have the Panasonic Viera TH-50PX80U 50" Plasma TV available for less than $1200 and free shipping.

Done.
interesting, are the panasonics alot better than the samsungs? I currently have a 42" samsung plasma and want a 50" soon.
Old 07-10-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Are Butterfly Photo and Beach Camera reliable sites to buy from? I have never even heard of them before.
Old 07-10-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
interesting, are the panasonics alot better than the samsungs? I currently have a 42" samsung plasma and want a 50" soon.
The Samsung plasma's are generally rated well. Close to the Panny's. But for whatever reason haven't caught on in popularity to the Panny's. And the Panny's keep coming down in price, it is just hard to say "no" to it.

BTW...to me this is the case with all the "2nd tier" sets. I just read where Olevia filed for bankruptcy. I'm sure Visio, Olevia and Westinghouse are a fine set (I was looking at a Westinghouse for a bit). But when you can get a Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, etc if not for the same money but within 2, 3, 5% why would you not get them?

I do have an Olevia btw. I have a 26" LCD in bar. It is PERFECT for the bar. I have 4-skylights, 3 floor to ceiling windows and a door that has a large window in it. The Olevia is a freaking torch. Even turned 3/4 down, it is plenty bright even during the day. Not good black levels. Very sharp...almost a digit look to it. Does not give you at that 3-D look on HD I've come to expect. But for the bar, watching a football game or music video for background...it works.
Old 07-10-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chew

Done.
WOW that is a GREAT price. Especially with free shipping....wonder if I could talk wife if to putting 46" Samsung in the bar and getting the Panny for the living room...

....yea...probably not!!! LOL
Old 07-10-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is $1,000 a really good price for a 50" DLP HDTV?
It is an ok price. But when you can get the Panny Plasma for only $200 more....humm....And even tho I don't consider bulb an issue, assuming you get what 3-4 years out of the original buld, one bulb replacement will have your total cost MORE then the panny.

But again, to me a bigger issue is being flat panel. If you want to upgrade in a few years, you can always find a wall in another room to put a plasma or flat panel LCD. But on RP, it requires a stand which is much more limiting IMO.
Old 07-11-08, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for all the help Sdallnct. And thank you Chew for pointing out the websites with the best prices. I think I'm going to purchase the Panasonic Viera TH-50PX80U 50" Plasma TV from Beach Camera.

I got a look at the set at Wal-Mart tonight (where it costs almost $1,500 If I remember correctly). It looks AMAZING. It really looked just as good as the 1080p sets on display and should be exactly the kind of set I want.

I'm really excited now about getting it and setting it up!
Old 07-11-08, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Also, some more questions: this TV set works well with video games right? I'm not a hardcore gamer but I have a couple PS3 games I might play here and there for a couple of hours at a time. That shouldn't be a big issue should it? The description says it has a "Game Mode".

Also, I plan on hooking up both my HD-A2 HD-DVD player and my PS3. I only have a basic surround sound receiver (at least at the moment) that connects through digital coaxial (there are two inputs though I can't remember what the other option is - It is not HDMI though). I MIGHT get a new receiver if I can get a pretty good one that has HD Audio support for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray if it's around $300 or less. But at the moment will this work for me with the two (or is it three) HDMI ports that are included with the set?

I just want to make sure I can get everything hooked up properly. If this is all going to work out then I am hoping to order this set by the end of the week!

Update: I'm seeing lots of customer reviews on this set from people that don't use it for High Definition like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. I shouldn't be concerned by that right? I'd think it would look awesome with both formats. My home media film collection of DVD's upscaled, HD-DVD, and Blu-Ray is the primary reason I will be using this set, with occasional gaming with my PS3, and Lost 720p broadcasts on ABC. That's it.

Last edited by GenPion; 07-11-08 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-11-08, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I use my Panny Plasma for PS3 games, I've never had a problem. And I don't even have a "game mode".

Even if 3 HDMI aren't enough on the TV, you can easily get a Monoprice HDMI switcher to add more.

I wouldn't worry too much about people's reviews about SD on an HDTV, I think it's always a shock for most people to switch from their old tube TVs.

Last edited by Chew; 07-11-08 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-11-08, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just noticed buydig.com has lowered their price to $1189 (free shipping) on this set to be the current lowest. Their site has over 25000 reviews on pricegrabber and average 5/5 stars.
http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/buyd...26/m/63438870/

A friend of mine ordered her TV from them and didn't have any complaints.

I'd personally go with buydig.
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PNTH50PX80U

Last edited by Chew; 07-11-08 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-11-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, some more questions: this TV set works well with video games right? I'm not a hardcore gamer but I have a couple PS3 games I might play here and there for a couple of hours at a time. That shouldn't be a big issue should it? The description says it has a "Game Mode".

Also, I plan on hooking up both my HD-A2 HD-DVD player and my PS3. I only have a basic surround sound receiver (at least at the moment) that connects through digital coaxial (there are two inputs though I can't remember what the other option is - It is not HDMI though). I MIGHT get a new receiver if I can get a pretty good one that has HD Audio support for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray if it's around $300 or less. But at the moment will this work for me with the two (or is it three) HDMI ports that are included with the set?

I just want to make sure I can get everything hooked up properly. If this is all going to work out then I am hoping to order this set by the end of the week!

Update: I'm seeing lots of customer reviews on this set from people that don't use it for High Definition like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. I shouldn't be concerned by that right? I'd think it would look awesome with both formats. My home media film collection of DVD's upscaled, HD-DVD, and Blu-Ray is the primary reason I will be using this set, with occasional gaming with my PS3, and Lost 720p broadcasts on ABC. That's it.
Gaming on a modern plasma is not an issue. However, I would go over to AVS and find the thread on your set and read about "break in". I haven't kept up recently but last year when I was looking they had a general recommendation of turning brightness and contrast way down for the first 100 hours and not to play games on it during this time. Then after that initial 100 hours do your calibration of the set. However it was a "debatable" precaution. Just something you should read about and consider.

Speaking of calibration, you will likely find really good settings for you particular sources at AVS. I found some great one's for my set and tried 4-5 different ones living with each one before settling on one with a very minor change.

Don't worry about the HD/Blu-ray being 1080 while the TV is 720. It will look awesome and you will love it. It will look better (after proper calibration) then the vast majority of 1080p sets.
Old 07-11-08, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hey, um... one more question.

If I could get the FP-T5084 Samsung 50" Plasma 1080p set as a Clearance Floor Model at Sears for $1,300 (with tax) would that be an even better buy than a new Panasonic 50" 720p plasma for $1,200?

I also left one one (maybe) import piece of information: I almost always sit only 5 or 6 feet away from my TV set... still, I don't know if a 1080p set would make any difference on 50". 1080i looks good on my Olevia 27" i am upgrading from.

Last edited by GenPion; 07-11-08 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-12-08, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floor models tend to be scorched (highest settings, which can really shorten the life of the tv), so tread very lightly there.
Old 07-12-08, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Floor models tend to be scorched (highest settings, which can really shorten the life of the tv), so tread very lightly there.
Yeah... I should probably just go with the new Panasonic. I'm still trying to decide though. I was told the set had been out for less than six months for sure, but exactly how long they didn't know.

And I'm worried about burn-in now and the 100 hour rule... but it shouldn't be a big deal, I guess... I do watch a pretty good amount of full frame TV shows though. I suppose I will have to be careful with how long I watch them for those first 100 hours.

EDIT - By first 100 hours does that mean the first couple of days of use? Or does it literally mean 100 hours of watching stuff? Because I don't know how I'd keep track of that.

Thanks for all the help guys! I should be ordering/purchasing whatever TV it is I'll be getting sometime this week. Should be exciting!

Last edited by GenPion; 07-12-08 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-12-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah... I should probably just go with the new Panasonic. I'm still trying to decide though. I was told the set had been out for less than six months for sure, but exactly how long they didn't know.

And I'm worried about burn-in now and the 100 hour rule... but it shouldn't be a big deal, I guess... I do watch a pretty good amount of full frame TV shows though. I suppose I will have to be careful with how long I watch them for those first 100 hours.

EDIT - By first 100 hours does that mean the first couple of days of use? Or does it literally mean 100 hours of watching stuff? Because I don't know how I'd keep track of that.

Thanks for all the help guys! I should be ordering/purchasing whatever TV it is I'll be getting sometime this week. Should be exciting!
Yes...it is a 100hrs of actual usage. And I sure didn't mean to scare you off. Many argue the 100 burn in period is a un-needed precaution that is really not necessary. I just wanted you to be aware of it to make your own decision. And remember it is only a one time thing, so once you do it, you are done. Just put a cheap kitchen timer next to the TV or where you keep your remote. Oh go old school and write it down.

Personally (if you choose to do it) I think it is well worth this very minor work.

Again, I'd go over to AVS and find the thread on that Panny and read and read (I'd be careful about posting, they can get a little...tough on newbie questions that have already been asked a zillion times).

And to restate..I am "happy" with my Samsung LCD flat panel in the living room. When I was setting it up, I was using my HDA3 and SD Nemo. Wife was like "when did Nemo come out in HD?" I do plan on wall hanging and putting in surround speakers in the ceiling. However for picture quality, I still prefer the panasonic plasma. Better blacks, more natural looking.

There are different "camps" on the 1080p v. 720p debate. I personally would not pay extra for 1080p on a 50" tv or smaller. But 5-6ft is getting close to the set. However, I have a 94" screen in my media room that is being blasted by a 720p pj. My front row is about 10.5'. I'm pleased with the image. Especially on HD sources (HD-DVD, Blu-ray, HD Dish). Now that I MAY upgrade to 1080p when the bulb blows.

Remember, regardless of where you fall on the debate, it is pretty accepted that resolution is only the 3-4th most important factor in picture quality. So even if you believe you could see a difference, you should look at other factors. Which has the best black levels? Color? etc. Those are more important then resolution.
Old 07-12-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

In terms of the 1080p plasma FP-T5084 - is it supposed to be even better, generally speaking? Cnet gave it a much more favorable review than the Panasonic Viera TH-50PX80U 50" which has me kind of concerned...

I'm sorry I have continued to ask so many questions but I really do appreciate all the help I have received in this thread. Thanks!
Old 07-12-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would never buy a used Plasma.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of the Samsung plasma's new.

I have nothing against 1080p. I just wouldn't pay extra for it in that sized set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.